OtherOS demo program

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

ldesnogu

Post by ldesnogu »

Warren wrote:Hrm just though we could also wait for BSD to be ported to the PS3 and then use their subsystems :)

Anyone know if such a port is underway?
I don't think so:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/free ... 02119.html
mc

Post by mc »

Warren wrote:Any more progress on this?

I haven't had a chance yet but I think we should start organizing this into PS3SDK. Thoughts?

Any volunteers to write USB and Bluetooth drivers? :P
I've started working on a USB driver. Progress so far is that I've got
the register file memory mapped, so all that's needed now is to pull
stuff like OHCI driver, USB core and bootkeyboard driver from e.g. U-Boot.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Do we know the little technical name of the usb chipset?
Have you found some official documentation about it?
I would like to look for hidden and unused (yet) features...

Actually, a complete list of all chipsets that may be able to do dma on their own would be very useful...
mc

Post by mc »

ps2devman wrote:Do we know the little technical name of the usb chipset?
The register files exposed are the usual OHCI for USB1 and EHCI for USB2. Docs are readily available, these and UHCI are the only hardware interfaces in common use. Meaning everyone uses them.

Generally you would be able to access the entire PCI address space with DMA from such host controllers, but for an embedded system it's of course up
to the hardware to define what "the entire PCI address space" really means. I haven't gotten to that point quite yet... :-)
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

thank you MC for that start.S code :)
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010
kid101skater

Post by kid101skater »

jimparis wrote:
utech wrote:I cant compilate it...
manuel@manuel-laptop:~/Desktop/source$ make
gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o start.o start.S
gcc: unrecognized option '-G0'
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mregnames"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mfull-toc"
make: *** [start.o] Error 1
Unless manuel-laptop is a PS3, that's not gonna work. Build it on a PS3, or build and use a cross compiler.
i got the same problem and im on ubuntu also... any help would be nice
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

kid101skater wrote:
jimparis wrote:Build it on a PS3, or build and use a cross compiler.
If you have the same problem, then the solution is also the same.
kid101skater

Post by kid101skater »

jimparis wrote:
kid101skater wrote:
jimparis wrote:Build it on a PS3, or build and use a cross compiler.
If you have the same problem, then the solution is also the same.
well you can compile on linux on pc... im using ubuntu just as he was.
mukumuku

Post by mukumuku »

what tools do i need to use in order to build an otheros.bld like the one in this application? I don't want to work on ydl on ps3, I'll do it at slackware in my pc. Do I need to install the cellsdk or the ps3toolchain is enough to make it?
emoon

Post by emoon »

the toolchain is enough
2.6,CRACKED!

Post by 2.6,CRACKED! »

about what warren said, "PS3SDK". I am correct in assuming you mean like what happened with the PSP.
mukumuku

Post by mukumuku »

jimparis wrote:
utech wrote:I cant compilate it...
manuel@manuel-laptop:~/Desktop/source$ make
gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o start.o start.S
gcc: unrecognized option '-G0'
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mregnames"
cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-mfull-toc"
make: *** [start.o] Error 1
Unless manuel-laptop is a PS3, that's not gonna work. Build it on a PS3, or build and use a cross compiler.
I get exactly the same error. I have ps3toolchain installed. I thought it was enough to compile it, as emoon told as well. Any ideas?
emoon

Post by emoon »

You are using the wrong compiler, depending on how you installed the compiler you will need to change the name of the compiler being used in the makefile (ppu-gcc for example)
PosX100

Post by PosX100 »

Can i ask something?
With your project we're able to run unsigned code?
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Yes, of course, that's what Sony has allowed us to do with the "other os" option.
tsuba

Post by tsuba »

When i try to build the otheros demo i get this error. I'm using the toolchain. Anyone know what to do?
$ make
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o start.o start.S
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o hv.o hv.S
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o mmu.o mmu.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o time.o time.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o vuart.o vuart.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o sysmgr.o sysmgr.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o av.o av.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o flash.o flash.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o fb.o fb.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o font_8x8.o font_8x8.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o debug.o debug.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -c -o demo.o demo.c
ppu-gcc -O -m64 -mregnames -mfull-toc -G0 -ffreestanding -fno-stack-protector -static -nostdlib -Wl,-T,script.
lds -o demo.elf start.o hv.o mmu.o time.o vuart.o sysmgr.o av.o flash.o fb.o font_8x8.o debug.o demo.o
objcopy -O binary demo.elf demo.bin
objcopy: demo.elf: File format not recognized
make: *** [demo.bin] Error 1
ldesnogu

Post by ldesnogu »

tsuba wrote:objcopy: demo.elf: File format not recognized
make: *** [demo.bin] Error 1
This means you are not calling the right objcopy. You should change your PATH to point to the correct one.
Laurent
tsuba

Post by tsuba »

thx it works now.
lettyann

English plz for the newbies!

Post by lettyann »

ok i am so happy reading between the lines there is an exploit but i do not have a clue what you are saying ive bought my son a ps3 for his xmas he has a psp which i flashed myself but i am thinki8n the ps3 is goin to be differant is there anyway some one can write a step by step on this like they did with the psp so that us folk that arent to clued up in it all can do it for just personal use plz plz it would be great if i could get it done before he gets it for his xmas thankyou
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Reading between the lines? LOL. Try learning to just read normally first. There is no exploit here, this is all using supported interfaces from Sony, and I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but I can guarantee you that the otheros demo won't let you do it.
lettyann

ok point taken

Post by lettyann »

so in other words theres no exploit and there wont be anytime soon well thats ok i have great confidence there will be at some point i havent seen anything yet that cant be done al just wait and hopefully it wont be to long and its not just me thats not reading properly i got this site from another forum maybe you should tell them they are not reading properly either

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1846
TommyBear

Post by TommyBear »

Maybe you need to read the forum rules again. There is no exploit and the guys here are only interested in doing things above board and legal. The forum you are referring doesn't have a clue.

Get this straight: what we are discussing in this topic is endorsed by Sony. Sony have given us the software and tools we need to do this. All we are doing is taking Linux out of the equation.

Gosh! :/