How to output RGsB over component cable?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

spica

How to output RGsB over component cable?

Post by spica »

I connected my PS3 (bought in HongKong, NTSC) to a PC monitor (SoG capable) with a component-to-VGA cable, and set the "PS3Videomode" to RGB+480P under Linux, everything worked flawlessly. But when I booted it into "Game OS" with this connection scheme, the PS3 went back to YUV and I got everything green...
I searched every options in XMB and found nowhere to set YUV/RGB.
Does anyone know how to force an NTSC PS3 to output RGsB under Game OS?
weltall

Post by weltall »

check the help of ps3videomode you will see in the end an option to add rgb (which could be used also as a number to be sum to the number of the video mode).
if you have an updated kernel you could even use video mode 0 (auto)
spica

Post by spica »

Yes, I know I can get RGB out under Linux. But I want RGB in Game OS as well...
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

spica wrote:Yes, I know I can get RGB out under Linux. But I want RGB in Game OS as well...
It's not supported, nor do I beleive Sony plan to support that (which is a shame as the xbo360 guys made a huge fuss about that too).

Your best bet is to get an external YUV->VGA adaptor. I've seen them on the UK ebay for around 60 USD.

[edit] Thinking about it, if you're in HK, take a look in the Golden shopping centre in Shamshuipo. I'm pretty sure some of the predominantly console shops had them when I was over in HK in January.
Last edited by ralferoo on Thu May 10, 2007 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
spica

Post by spica »

Yes, I've been using such an external YUV->VGA adaptor under Linux and could get RGB output.
I'd like to know some details about PAL PS3. I think a PAL PS3 would output RGB+Cs if SCART cable was connected. Do SCART port and YUV port share the same pins? If so, a PAL PS3 would also output RGB even a component cable was connected to it.
urchin

Post by urchin »

I didn't manage to get my PS2 RGBS cable (which I made from a PS2 scart cable) working with my PAL PS3, though I did get it working in YPbPr once I'd figured out which way to connect it up (I managed to accidently get the Y working with Pb and Pr the wrong way round)

PS2 / PS3 use the same pins for RGB and YPbPr out, which is why a switch is required in the software. I guess they've not seen fit for some reason to implement this for PS3 GameOS.

btw, the PAL PS3 doesn't have separate scart and component ports. You use the standard PS video connector with different cables.
spica

Post by spica »

urchin wrote:I didn't manage to get my PS2 RGBS cable (which I made from a PS2 scart cable) working with my PAL PS3, though I did get it working in YPbPr once I'd figured out which way to connect it up (I managed to accidently get the Y working with Pb and Pr the wrong way round)

PS2 / PS3 use the same pins for RGB and YPbPr out, which is why a switch is required in the software. I guess they've not seen fit for some reason to implement this for PS3 GameOS.

btw, the PAL PS3 doesn't have separate scart and component ports. You use the standard PS video connector with different cables.
I'm confused... If you connect a scart cable, you get RGBS out from PS3, right?
And if you separate the H/V sync from composite sync in scart using sth like LM18181, then you can get all RGBHV, right?
So how did you get PS3 working in YPbPr in GameOS? I mean in GameOS, how can PS3 tell the cable you use is scart or component and output different signal?
urchin

Post by urchin »

spica wrote:I'm confused... If you connect a scart cable, you get RGBS out from PS3, right?
No, by default it's YPbPr and there's (currently) no option in the XMB to change to RGB.

Have a look at the pinout, http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/psxav.htm, there are not enough pins for both YPbPr and RGB at the same time, so the console must be configured to output one or the other.
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

spica wrote:So how did you get PS3 working in YPbPr in GameOS? I mean in GameOS, how can PS3 tell the cable you use is scart or component and output different signal?
It can't. That's why the screen resolution settings first asks you what kind of cable you've got. Unfortunately for the OP, if you select SCART (the only RGB output) then there is no choice as to resolution.

I can imagine why Sony has done this - having a generic monitor option there would just confuse a lot of people who plug in any old monitor and expect it to work. Most monitors would fail to display anything at all with 480i/576i and those that do work often look incredibly bad at that resolution. Plus the standard HDTV resolutions are a bad fit for most monitors as computer monitors are generally 4:3 or 16:10 and so games developers would have to support and test in a whole load more resolutions. There's obviously support for it in the hardware as the modes are available through linux (WXGA, for example) but my guess is that Sony has decided it's more hassle than its worth to support it.
spica

Post by spica »

urchin wrote:I didn't manage to get my PS2 RGBS cable (which I made from a PS2 scart cable) working with my PAL PS3, though I did get it working in YPbPr once I'd figured out which way to connect it up (I managed to accidently get the Y working with Pb and Pr the wrong way round)

Btw, I guess the video pins used by SCART cable is:
PSX-AV --> SCART
6 ----> Composite Sync
8 ----> Video Ground
9 ----> Blue
11 ----> Red
12 ----> Green
right?
spica

Post by spica »

ralferoo wrote:
spica wrote:So how did you get PS3 working in YPbPr in GameOS? I mean in GameOS, how can PS3 tell the cable you use is scart or component and output different signal?
It can't. That's why the screen resolution settings first asks you what kind of cable you've got. Unfortunately for the OP, if you select SCART (the only RGB output) then there is no choice as to resolution.
So if SCART is selected, then it can only be in 576i(PAL) or 480i(NTSC), no progressive scan, right?