USB (or 'net) control of BD player

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

jetforme

USB (or 'net) control of BD player

Post by jetforme »

I'm trying to address the lack of alternative (e.g. IR) control of the PS3, as a Blu-Ray disk player in home theater installations. I'd like to develop hardware to help users integrate the PS3 into their existing control infrastructures, and to this end I'd like to find out what options there are for controlling the player functions via USB (or ethernet).

I'm having a surprisingly hard time locating official Sony development support channels. I'm willing to pay to be an official developer (specifically controller and other hardware accessories developer), but I'm having no luck finding the right place to go.

In my searching I found this group. Can you guys point me in the right direction for "official" PS3 development, or point me at some documentation describing how I might force the PS3 into Blu-Ray player mode? I've determined that a USB keyboard can navigate top-level menus, so it's likely that any of the Bluetooth remote buttons can be duplicated via the correct HID reports via USB. But that would still require navigating menus.

Ideally, I wouldn't have to navigate through the on-screen menus using USB. Instead, I could send a command that would put the PS3 in blu-ray disc playing mode, regardless of what mode it was currently in.

Thanks for any help!
Rick
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

If I understand it correctly, you're trying to create something that will cause a PS3 to always behave as a BD player.

Well, firstly there's an autorun option in the System Settings menu that will cause a BD disc to play as soon as the machine is switched on (or if the disc is inserted when on standby). This, however, won't work if the PS3 is already switched on.

In terms of navigating the menus of an already on PS3, it shouldn't be that hard. Right a few times (say 20?) then left twice, up a few times (again, say 20?) then down once, then select. You're right in saying that a keyboard HID can operate these controls suficiently well, so anything impersonating a keyboard should be capable for this task.

If this is too hit and miss, your best bet is to use Linux and start playing and MPEG on startup. I don't think you'll have any joy getting BD material to play under Linux though.

What's your target application? If it's a very specific market (e.g. playing a fixed video every time) the Linux route should suit you; if it's being able to play a generic BD disc automatically, then you're probably best off buying a BD player rather than a PS3.

The obvious solution for home theatre applications is just not to bother. I've bought the "bluetooth" BD remote which works very well, although it does require the user to scroll to the Video menu and then the BDROM icon. Given that the PS3 is fundamentally as games machine, not a BD player, this isn't a great hardship. Most likely, I'd actually rather play a game than watch BD anyway.
jetforme

Post by jetforme »

ralferoo wrote:If this is too hit and miss, your best bet is to use Linux and start playing and MPEG on startup. I don't think you'll have any joy getting BD material to play under Linux though.

[...]

The obvious solution for home theatre applications is just not to bother. I've bought the "bluetooth" BD remote which works very well, although it does require the user to scroll to the Video menu and then the BDROM icon. Given that the PS3 is fundamentally as games machine, not a BD player, this isn't a great hardship. Most likely, I'd actually rather play a game than watch BD anyway.
As it turns out, the PS3 is one of the best BD players on the market, and at half the price of competing options. It has outstanding transport controls, and very good image quality.

It's okay if one has to navigate all the menus to operate the system; discrete, direct commands would be best. The BT remote is not acceptable, because it prevents the use of universal remote systems (some of which are very sophisticated).

While I've gotten the arrow and enter keys to work from a regular keyboard, none of the other keys on the keyboard seem to substitute for the other keys on the remote (I didn't try number keys). I wouldn't be surprised if there were direct commands for many of the BD functions, and I even expect it to be documented, but I don't even know where to start to find official documentation.

Thanks, though.
Rick
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

jetforme wrote:The BT remote is not acceptable, because it prevents the use of universal remote systems (some of which are very sophisticated).
Sorry, I guess I read your OP too fast (it was late and I was tired!) and didn't notice the bit about your solution being a surrogate for IR-based systems. As you say, the only options for PS3 are BT or wired USB.
While I've gotten the arrow and enter keys to work from a regular keyboard, none of the other keys on the keyboard seem to substitute for the other keys on the remote (I didn't try number keys). I wouldn't be surprised if there were direct commands for many of the BD functions, and I even expect it to be documented, but I don't even know where to start to find official documentation.
Escape generally works to leave a menu.

If you have a look at http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... .id=646555 and the link in the first post, you'll see a PS2 controller adaptor for the PS3 that passes a PS2 controller along and there's a PS button on the adaptor because that button is missing on the PS2.

Finally, as the PS3 controller is (almost) a standard USB device and so you should be able to simulate it easily enough if you were to go down the programmable microprocessor route. One thing to notice is that all the buttons cause a button press and an axis movement (at least under the Linux driver) and so it's quite possible that the Sony firmware will need both.
I don't even know where to start to find official documentation.
Yes, this seems to be a problem with Sony's new "open platform". Things seem to work on the whole, but there's almost zero documentation (e.g. StrontiumDog's quest to document the hypervisor). Also the "BT" protocol isn't real Bluetooth nor is that documented... :(

I'll just end by saying that the PS3 BT remote is actually very nice. It feels nice to hold with good weighting and finish, has even more buttons than a controller and unlike IR doesn't need line of sight (which is good for me!) I know some people really like having everything on one remote, but given that the remote is a surprisingly nice bit of hardware for the price, I wonder if you'd actually be able to sell an IR->BT bridge (if that's actually your intention).
jetforme

Post by jetforme »

ralferoo wrote:Sorry, I guess I read your OP too fast (it was late and I was tired!) and didn't notice the bit about your solution being a surrogate for IR-based systems. As you say, the only options for PS3 are BT or wired USB.
Hehe, no worries!
If you have a look at http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... .id=646555 and the link in the first post, you'll see a PS2 controller adaptor for the PS3 that passes a PS2 controller along and there's a PS button on the adaptor because that button is missing on the PS2.
Yeah, I found that solution many times online. It's a workaround, but not the most elegant solution.
Finally, as the PS3 controller is (almost) a standard USB device and so you should be able to simulate it easily enough if you were to go down the programmable microprocessor route.
This is exactly the line of thinking I had in mind. I just wish I could move from "menu navigation commands" down to "PS3 function commands." I figure the API used by PS3 app developers (official app developers, as opposed to open-platform linux-on-PS3 developers) would have something in there for that.
Yes, this seems to be a problem with Sony's new "open platform". Things seem to work on the whole, but there's almost zero documentation (e.g. StrontiumDog's quest to document the hypervisor).
Yeah, so where does a big game studio go to develop an app for the PS3? Surely they don't go to the open platform website?
I'll just end by saying that the PS3 BT remote is actually very nice.
I have it, and I agree (although I wish the stop button wasn't between the pause and play buttons).
I wonder if you'd actually be able to sell an IR->BT bridge (if that's actually your intention).
Another possible avenue, but again, strictly emulating a controller is sufficient, but not ideal.
Rick
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

jetforme wrote:Yeah, so where does a big game studio go to develop an app for the PS3? Surely they don't go to the open platform website?
They use the (rumoured to cost about €35,000) Sony development kit. I'm sure there's lots of good stuff in that... :(
jetforme

Post by jetforme »

ralferoo wrote:They use the (rumoured to cost about €35,000) Sony development kit. I'm sure there's lots of good stuff in that... :(
Right. Wow. I figured it would cost money, but I didn't expect that much. Okay.

Say I had €35K to spend, because I was so sure my product would make me millions. Where do I go to sign up?
Rick
MelGibson

Post by MelGibson »

Depending on where your company is located (Europe, Americas, Japan) you could check
www.scedev.net/2bldev/
www.technology.scee.net/software#registration
www.scej.jp
jetforme

Post by jetforme »

MelGibson wrote:Depending on where your company is located (Europe, Americas, Japan) you could check
www.scedev.net/2bldev/
www.technology.scee.net/software#registration
www.scej.jp
Great, thank you! I don't know why I had such a hard time finding that on my own. I've made an inquiry, now we'll see what it really takes.

Thanks again!
Rick