SIXAXIS under Windows

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

DomX

Post by DomX »

tfs66 wrote:
E-M@iLinAtoR wrote:O.O WTFOMG

Thanks tfs66 for that useful post. Did u try it yet?
I guess it doesn't run on 64bit tho?

I'll give it a shot this week, thanks again.
64bit version is possible to be made, but as I know, without Microsoft's WHQL certification, it is impossible to distribute a driver under 64bit Windows.And WHQL needs time and money...
It's possible to run uncertified drivers by turning an option off during startup.
E-M@iLinAtoR

Post by E-M@iLinAtoR »

DomX wrote:
tfs66 wrote:
E-M@iLinAtoR wrote:O.O WTFOMG

Thanks tfs66 for that useful post. Did u try it yet?
I guess it doesn't run on 64bit tho?

I'll give it a shot this week, thanks again.
64bit version is possible to be made, but as I know, without Microsoft's WHQL certification, it is impossible to distribute a driver under 64bit Windows.And WHQL needs time and money...
It's possible to run uncertified drivers by turning an option off during startup.
Yes it is possible to run it uncertified, but what he means is that it's not really allowed to "distribute" it that way, and I think he's right. So make it Freeware plz :D
Avramce

Post by Avramce »

Well, I found the software really great, and ponied up the $15 to register. I haven't received my registration info yet and my trial is over...

Not to pleased with this down time :S
Zaza

Post by Zaza »

Anybody else try it?
Avramce

Post by Avramce »

I take that back, I just got my reg code, beautiful program. I love that fact that it's an all in one package, no need for multiple apps.

Downside IMO, you can only connect one sixaxis at a time, so much for multiplayer.
tfs66

Post by tfs66 »

Avramce wrote:I take that back, I just got my reg code, beautiful program. I love that fact that it's an all in one package, no need for multiple apps.

Downside IMO, you can only connect one sixaxis at a time, so much for multiplayer.
Multi controller support is on the way.

Free to update, you'll get it:)
DomX

Post by DomX »

Is there any chance you guys could please provide any assistance in running Dual Shock 3 on Vista x64, even if you don't mean to release a x64 version of your program? The current solution unfortunately lacks vibration and requires an installation of LibUSB which messes up other USB devices.
Avramce

Post by Avramce »

Out of curiousity, what are you trying to play that needs force feedback? I chose the WinDS3 because it doesn't require libusb, which screws up my mouse, ext. hdd and mp3 player usb connections.

Not a necessity for me, but i am curious what games of yours can handle force feedback?
DomX

Post by DomX »

Avramce wrote:Out of curiousity, what are you trying to play that needs force feedback? I chose the WinDS3 because it doesn't require libusb, which screws up my mouse, ext. hdd and mp3 player usb connections.

Not a necessity for me, but i am curious what games of yours can handle force feedback?
Pretty much every modern game with gamepad support can handle force feedback.
But most importantly - Burnout Paradise.
tfs66

Post by tfs66 »

tfs66 wrote:
E-M@iLinAtoR wrote:On the download page there is the Softpedia 100% Clean Logo but if searched on www.Softpedia.com it doesn't find anything, weird. Contact the customer support via email, if some1 answers and doesn't tell u suspicious stuff, give it a shot imo.
I made a mistake, to early to open the site link, L told me the website uses an old template, two days ago still under testing, sorry for giving someone misunderstanding. But actually some kinds of such certification is undergoing, not carry out yet. Now we make the website clean.
Now Softpedia has listed WinDS3 on their website.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/R ... nDS3.shtml
Zaza

Post by Zaza »

So does this require you to dedicate a bluetooth dongle specifically for the PS3 controller as BTSix does? Or can you use other devices with this software? Thanks.
tfs66

Post by tfs66 »

Zaza wrote:So does this require you to dedicate a bluetooth dongle specifically for the PS3 controller as BTSix does? Or can you use other devices with this software? Thanks.
WinDS3 uses FreeBT driver as BtSix does, but WinDS3 provides small tool to let user install/uninstall FreeBT automatically with one button click, so if a user wants to use other bluetooth devices, just uninstall FreeBt driver in WinDS3, and next time WinDS3 starts, it will hint user to install FreeBT driver automatically.
kampgy

Post by kampgy »

Hi,
I have trouble using the Sixaxis with BtSix maybe someone can help me out here.
The thing is that it connects perfectly with the programm but I cant do anything with the controller no buttons are recognized.
thx in advance
pacifica_snake

Post by pacifica_snake »

Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone here could assist me in finding a solution to my problem.

Iv'e finally managed to install the fbtusb driver and make btsix not freeze up.
yet, after pairing the address my sixaxis is still not recognized.

the libusb driver is OK and the sixaxis works well as a joystick
(recognized as "playstation(R)3 wireless controller")
i think the problem is with ppjoy and the virtual joystick.

when I create a virtual joistick, windows recognizes new hardware and wants to install a driver. here i have 3 options:
install the ppjoy driver.
install the playstation(r)3 driver.
not install any driver.

in any case, when i try mapping the controller, i press scan and it doesn't respond.
what do i do?
I've been breaking my head for hours and hours over this.
i'm using btsix 1.5b, blutooth dongle 2.0
windows xp sp3 (it's this torrent leech custom blinds edition,
i really don't know if it's 32 or 64bit. how can you tell?
Crosstalker

Post by Crosstalker »

Hello, I'm a Vista x64 user who is interested in getting my SIXAXIS controller to work in Windows. I have read all 18 pages of this thread, and I cannot for the life of me figure out whether there is any known way to get a SIXAXIS controller to work in Vista x64. If it is possible, could someone please post a comprehensible answer that would provide guidance for those of us who are simply searching for help?

I have enjoyed reading the thread even though 99% of it is over my end-user head.

Best,

Crosstalker
Crosstalker
Zaza

Post by Zaza »

pacifica_snake: The instructions are a bit unclear, but from what I understood you are supposed to direct Windows to a folder that is downloaded with BtSix. However, the multiple times I tried this never resulted in success, so I just left it alone. I went about figuring out the relationship of the actual Dual Shock 3 buttons to the digital buttons and whatnot (see my post on the last page) and mapped out my controller. It is a bit confusing at first and I know how you feel. Just keep trying different things, and if that doesn't work keep bothering people here. :P

Crosstalker: From what I've seen on this forum the SixAxis can't be connected to a 64 bit system yet because all the drivers are old and made for 32 bit systems. However, I have seen the driver used in the wired solution, libusb, mentioned on other forums in a 64 bit form. I don't know much about it, but it sounded pretty shaky and unreliable. Just keep searching Google.
pacifica_snake

Post by pacifica_snake »

thanks zaza, but just copying the way you mapped the controller wouldn't help me, again, ppjoy and btsix do not respond to my controller.

i couldn't see any way to make this work so i tried winds3,
i installed it and then it gave me an error. i'm pretty sure it is a virus.
I made a terrible mistake. damn it. stay away from it until anyone proves it works.

anyone help me - why doesn't it work, what did i miss?
freebt driver installed - check
virtual joistick1 created - check
libusb drivers - check
pressed "address" for pairing - check
nothing happens.

am i supposed to mapp the controler with the usb connected or after activating it via bluetooth?

should there be a problem with XP SP3? cause i see the readme file says SP2...=\
(sorry for asking so many questions...)
crosstalker - if you want to use sixaxis with a cable,
just download the libusb driver. it works perfectly and it's easy to use.

**edit

OK, i tried it on my older pc with xp sp2 and it worked right away...
i guess it just doesn't work on sp3 =(
thanks ron89...i'll be waiting for an update on that one...
Zaza

Post by Zaza »

When you connect the controller in BtSix and move it around, do the blue bars move? If so then you're connected, if not then there's a problem.
pacifica_snake

Post by pacifica_snake »

it does on sp2. it doesn't on sp3.

did anyone here get it to work on SP3 ???...
tfs66

Post by tfs66 »

pacifica_snake wrote:it does on sp2. it doesn't on sp3.

did anyone here get it to work on SP3 ???...
Hi, could you give me the error msg of WinDS3? Maybe from the error msg of WinDS3 I can give you some suggestions to fix your problem with using Btsix/libusb/freebt.

B.T.W. WinDS3 does not contain any viruses, it is clean but it does use some dll/exe packers. New version of it we'll modify some pack options to avoid accidently detected as virus by some free anti virus software.
pacifica_snake

Post by pacifica_snake »

if your'e telling the truth then post a video of yourself using it.
or maybe softpedia could put the 100% clean logo on it. but they don't.
maybe other users could say they've used it and it works
and bring evidence. not just 1 user who popped out of nowhere and has only 3 messages and they're all about winds3.
i bet it's you.
Avramce

Post by Avramce »

Funny, for a jackass who doesn't have a clue about what their doing, you sure talk big.

I've been waiting for an update to the WinDS3 program since I bought it, and frankly, if you don't want to use it, don't.

It works good for direct keyboard mapping, but is not so hot for FPS's like the site mentions. I've been using it for more than a month on SNES and Neogeo emulators, and have not gotten any blue screens or error msgs like I have had when I installed libusb.

Once again, if you are scared to use it, don't. So quit whining like a bitch and figure out your own answers. Really, for somewith with 4 (four) posts, you really talk as if you know everything about a product you're asking help about.

You even took the time to mention Softpedia. You should have noticed that 200+ people have downloaded it, and 4 actually took the time to rate it a 5. Frankly, I'd go back to rate it a bad score if it gave me a virus, HOWEVER, it seems no one has done that yet.

Only reason people haven't posted videos of them using it is because without paying for it, you are only alotted a 30 minute trial. It's funny how negative a person can be after reading a couple posts on this board, especially after no one has even mentioned that it has a virus AFTER they have tried the program.

I stated it twice, and third time is a charm. If you don't trust it, and don't want to use it, DON'T. I paid for it, I'm awaiting their updates, so I'll take the time to say that they have a fine product, and don't need unknowledgeable users like you badmouthing someone's hard work.
pacifica_snake

Post by pacifica_snake »

hey man no need to get upset =)
I'm just being cautious and suspicious since all i heard about the program is some people saying it might be a virus, and you.
After all I did try it, and the installation only extracted files
but then crashed. So i stayed suspicious.
OK, maybe you are right.

here I am trying to install it again, but this time it's stuck trying to install the hid drivers...
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

Hello everyone
I am new to this forum and I have a question.

I am using the DS3 for a university research project. This project is about studying the human hand movement. For that I need to connect the DS3 to a computer, which I have done using BtSix, and I need the value of the accelerations and the position of the DS3 in space. Does anybody know a way to take the raw information given by Btsix and use it in a custom C program or Matlab program

Thanks a lot
tfs66

Post by tfs66 »

Hi, are you using Vista? I think UAC setting of Vista makes it stuck. Maybe it is the same reason with BtSix/Freebt/libusb set.
You can reference the following url to adjust UAC:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
tfs66

Post by tfs66 »

Revenant wrote:Does anybody know a way to take the raw information given by Btsix and use it in a custom C program or Matlab program
Hi, I think we can help you on this matter via WinDS3, please send a mail to [email protected]. I can give you a special edition of WinDS3 which contains the interface you needed. Btsix provides a very unstable interface to provide raw data, and it is hard to use.Don't worry it is free :)
Fluff

Post by Fluff »

Just to confirm this is not working with service pack 3 for me either, i've not tried service pack 2 yet but i will later today and update you on this.

*EDIT*, tried on a WinXP sp2 machine and all three bluetooth devices wouldn't work.

1st : Toshiba Tecra M2 internal bluetooth - detected on freebt scan as bluetooth, installed driver fine but wouldn't sync to controller, gives errors about versions being too low also

2nd : old bluetooth dongle i had lay around no idea what it is - detected on freebt scan as bluetooth, installed driver fine, syncs with controller (dongle led flashing, controller goes from flashing all 4 lights to just one solid light), but zero functionality there, no button presses or stick movements register, this is the same for both my Sixaxis, and dualshock 3.
Complains about versions being too low at the bottom of the program the same as the laptops internal BT did.

3rd : random micro bluetooth dongle off ebay, shows up under 'other' as unknown, but installs drivers anyway, doesn't sync to controller, but doesn't give version errors in the program like the previous two.

Perhaps you should start a compatibility chart of some sort?
Arceles

Well...

Post by Arceles »

IT WORKS ON SP3 XP!

I just installed it...

I think that the key to do it is selecting run as with the right button mouse click on libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.12.1 and then selecting run as an administrator or run as xxxx (where xxxx is an user) and removing the only option below this selection.

BTsix rulez... (still, I need to find a way to use it in LabVIEW)
tfs66

Multi controller support

Post by tfs66 »

New version of WinDS3 has been released, now it supports 2 controllers :)
http://www.winds3.com/en/download.htm
Slackitude

Post by Slackitude »

i've been trying this out for a while now, but still can't get it to work.
I can get my DS3 to connect, and LED1 lights up but nothing after that, nothing in pitch, roll, or battery meter.
At first i figured it must be an incompatible dongle, when i realized my dongle is the same as 89ron.

AdapterName:Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd - Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
AdapterVid:0a12 AdapterPid:0001 AdapterHCI:3, 3164 AdapterLMP:3, 3164

Winds3 also shows that this dongle works perfectly.
So please help me guys, what possibly could i be missing?

I'm on XP SP3 32bit.