How open is Playstation 3?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Oobles
Site Admin

How open is Playstation 3?

Post by Oobles »

Now that the PS3 is released in Japan and US, I'm interested to hear about people that actually have one. I'd like to know how open it is, and their experience with it?

Following on from this, how is ps2dev.org people going to approach this new platform? Are people interested in hacking the core Sony operating system, writing software for linux?

David. aka Oobles.
f_bohmann

Post by f_bohmann »

we have one at the office, but the guy who owns it will probably take it home to germany next week, and i cant afford one before january.

a project that i could imagine for ps2dev:

- since a lot of people might be interested in homebrew while not beeing linux-savy or interested in linux at all, a tiny shell could be nice. like a minimalistic loader that can be booted as "other os" and supports firing off either installed homebrew packages, a full linux (if installed) or reboot back to the game os. that could also supply remote debugging/launching etc for homebrewers who do not want to compile stuff directly on the ps3, but rather use it like a network-attached devkit.

and of course that luaplayer.

hacking the original os would probably open the door for piracy faster than neccessary... the only reason to do that would be if sony refuses to open up the rsx. having such a nice machine and only a framebuffer to play with does not feel right, allthough the documentation of the kernel patches sounds like they are implementing drivers for the other components during the next few weeks/months, so maybe rsx is on that list too...
Shine

Post by Shine »

f_bohmann wrote:- since a lot of people might be interested in homebrew while not beeing linux-savy or interested in linux at all, a tiny shell could be nice. like a minimalistic loader that can be booted as "other os" and supports firing off either installed homebrew packages, a full linux (if installed) or reboot back to the game os. that could also supply remote debugging/launching etc for homebrewers who do not want to compile stuff directly on the ps3, but rather use it like a network-attached devkit.
Why not using Linux? If you write your own OS, you have to implement all the drivers for the hardware yourself, which is included in the Linux distribution (I hope). For the PSP and Playstation 1/2 this was necessary, because ordinary people couldn't buy a dev kit, but with PS3 this should be better and we can concentrate on application development.
f_bohmann wrote: and of course that luaplayer.
Good idea, I hope I'll get one before xmas, because I have some time in holiday to port it to the PS3.
MelGibson

Post by MelGibson »

Shine wrote:Why not using Linux? If you write your own OS, you have to implement all the drivers for the hardware yourself, which is included in the Linux distribution (I hope).
I think that people *might* think that running an app on top of an OS might be a performance killer. Then my personal opinion is that it will take some time until homebrew apps whill reach the limit of the system and performace becomes really an issue.
urchin

Post by urchin »

Bootloader and install instructions for Fedora are here: ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/Sony-PS3/

I've not downloaded it as I don't have a PS3 (yet) but it's supposed to be framebuffer only support, no RSX.
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Would it be possible to write a driver for RSX if Sony does not officially open it? I know the GPU is based off of previous nVidia chips. It would be a shame if parts of the hardware were restricted.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

At least based on the way Sony put it in the linux documentation the RSX is hidden behind the hypervisor thus it sounds like it wont be accessible without sony giving permission for us to do so.
Shine

Post by Shine »

TyRaNiD wrote:At least based on the way Sony put it in the linux documentation the RSX is hidden behind the hypervisor thus it sounds like it wont be accessible without sony giving permission for us to do so.
That's right, looks like you can't access all registers of the RSX, but I've read somewhere that you can at least execute Cg code over this interface, so implementing a fast OpenGL implementation or a fast 2D library should be possible.

BTW: Do you know, if it is possible to access the other hardware, like the surround audio output and the Bluetooth and WLAN interface?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Shine wrote:BTW: Do you know, if it is possible to access the other hardware, like the surround audio output and the Bluetooth and WLAN interface?
yes, full access to USB (DVD-burner, printer) and Blu-ray drive and also access to Ethernet-, Bluetooth-, WLAN- and Audio-interfaces.
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

i beg to differ on use of bluetooth ..especially sixaxis' protocol
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010
NeoTechni

Post by NeoTechni »

We do have bluetooth acces, just not SIXAXIS's protocol
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Shine, I'm interested to see the article you have read that says Cg code can be run on RSX from alternate OS. Because Cg code is just another previous form for shader code and GPU power is mainly based on shader code. In other words, if it's true, then there may be no limit at all except the lack of information.
Shine

Post by Shine »

ps2devman wrote:Shine, I'm interested to see the article you have read that says Cg code can be run on RSX from alternate OS. Because Cg code is just another previous form for shader code and GPU power is mainly based on shader code. In other words, if it's true, then there may be no limit at all except the lack of information.
I don't have the link any more, but looks like it was just some guessing of the author, no technical details. I don't think that it is possible.

But who wants RSX? The SPEs are 5 times faster :-) see PDF page 91:

http://www.gpgpu.org/sc2006/workshop/pr ... M_Cell.pdf
theBishop

Post by theBishop »

I don't think Sony is an any hurry to make RSX available. Its a question of copyright protection for them.

And i'm pretty sure its blocked by the hypervisor rather than a lack of driver support. Don't expect RSX homebrew without the usual exploits/modchips/etc.

However, the Cell seems to have a lot of potential. Personally, I would like to see something like the OP is suggesting. Running linux is not only a lot of performance overhead, its also difficult for the average user. Homebrew PS3 games could reach a wide audience if they run straight from CD/DVD at the kboot prompt.
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

theBishop wrote:I don't think Sony is an any hurry to make RSX available. Its a question of copyright protection for them.
How is it a copyright protection issue? I'm just curious.
Shine wrote:I don't have the link any more, but looks like it was just some guessing of the author, no technical details. I don't think that it is possible.

But who wants RSX? The SPEs are 5 times faster :-) see PDF page 91:

http://www.gpgpu.org/sc2006/workshop/pr ... M_Cell.pdf
That is very interesting. This is probably why initially the PS3 did not have a dedicated GPU and it was added later in the development cycle.
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Sure, mastering SPE's may be a nice alternative to GPU access...

But, damn... 256Mb trashed...
Shine

Post by Shine »

Shapyi wrote:How is it a copyright protection issue? I'm just curious.
If RSX were available for Linux, it would be possible to play cracked games on it, which is impossible, if you don't have access to the hardware which the game needs.
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

Shine wrote:If RSX were available for Linux, it would be possible to play cracked games on it, which is impossible, if you don't have access to the hardware which the game needs.
But couldn't they just create a restrictive opengl driver that still resides behind the hypervisor? Or give limited access to hardware without exposing the full chip? I don't see why PS3 homebrew should suffer because of pirates...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Sony is probably waiting on nVidia to do the linux OGL driver. They have a linux driver for all their stuff, but x86/amd64/ia64 linux, not ppc. They're probably still working out the endian issues.