PS3 running the XBOX 360 and Emulators

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

RetroGamer

PS3 running the XBOX 360 and Emulators

Post by RetroGamer »

Wouldn't it be cool if some one was able to make an efficient XBOX 360 Emulator for the PS3? It would not only be the first XBOX 360 Emulator, but it would be possible the ONLY XBOX 360 Emulator around! I know nothing about emulators, but I would like to learn to make them, because it would be rad to have at least a Nintendo 64 emulator on PS3. I know PSMonkey can't release any new versions on his N64 emulator, and StrmnNrmn is very busy having a life unlike me, so if anyone can show me a tutorial site or some sort of documentation on emulation, I would like to start!
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Dude, that's not going to happen. Even a next-generation PS is going to have a lot of trouble doing something like that, even if the best of the best coders attempted it.

For this generation, decent Xbox or GameCube emulation is going to be hard enough work for the PS3 and their coders ...

Another word of advice - if you want to learn making emulators, don't start with a Nintendo 64 machine, as that machine is rather complicated. Start with something a little more even, like the Atari ST (I like CaSTaway and STeem a lot, personally), or maybe even something simpler than that. Study the available source codes and learn from there.

And get Yellow Dog Linux for the PS3 as soon as you can ... that will allow most Linux sourcecode already available for many emulators to run, so that's going to help a lot of projects a lot.

And don't be surprised if this topic ends up in the incredible hall of shame forum ...
mc

Post by mc »

GameCube emulation on the PS3 might not be too unrealistic, as it can run PowerPC code natively. It depends mostly on how abstracted hardware access is. (Of which I have no idea, I've never coded on the GC.)
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

There are already a couple GC emulators for the PC that are coming along pretty well. I think the PS3 could handle the requirements. It has plenty of memory (usually the main problem with converting an emu to a console), the RSX can easily handle the graphics, and the CPU has the same processing power as a 1.6 GHz G5. Then you also have the SPUs to help when they can (like with the audio).
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

J.F. wrote:There are already a couple GC emulators for the PC that are coming along pretty well. I think the PS3 could handle the requirements. It has plenty of memory (usually the main problem with converting an emu to a console), the RSX can easily handle the graphics, and the CPU has the same processing power as a 1.6 GHz G5. Then you also have the SPUs to help when they can (like with the audio).
But isn't the Cell Processor clocked at 3.2 GHz?
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Locked by popular demand.
Talk about emulators isn't forbidden, but this thread is largely content free and isn't leading anywhere.

And just a quick reply....
Shapyi wrote:
J.F. wrote:the CPU has the same processing power as a 1.6 GHz G5
But isn't the Cell Processor clocked at 3.2 GHz?
J.F. is probably referring to the fact that the CELLs PPU is less efficient (per-cycle wise) than a G5, whether or not it's half as efficient, I don't know.