Windows Toolchain?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Kojima

Windows Toolchain?

Post by Kojima »

Are there any plans to port the linux cell simulator/compilers by ibm or a third party? Or should I just take the plunge and install linux?
Orfax

Re: Windows Toolchain?

Post by Orfax »

Kojima wrote:Are there any plans to port the linux cell simulator/compilers by ibm or a third party? Or should I just take the plunge and install linux?
Getting a port of the GNU toolchain should be possible as the changes are released as GPL. However the simulator and xlc compiler are released on IBMs ILAR licence, and IBM won't release source code for these. Even if they did the licence is restrictive.
Look deep into their eyes for what they have to say, Emotions take control of life everyday
Death (Nothing Is Everything)
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

ah ok, didn't expect it really. hopefully ps3 will ship with linux as stated by many a sony exec and homebrew will be possible from day one.

Btw what's the cell simulator like in practise? Can you do useful stuff on it, or is it text only or can you do graphics? (I realise it has no rsx emulator of course, but i've seen a few cell only demos which looked impressive. Think they were running on cell test kits though)