PS3 as a Computer / Linux / Cell in Servers

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Arwin

PS3 as a Computer / Linux / Cell in Servers

Post by Arwin »

On the following forum is a translation of an interesting interview with Ken Kutaragi on the PS3. He gives further details on PS3 Linux among others in which he indicates he sees an important role for homebrewers helping the PS3 become a desireable machine and even compete in the market as a personal computer.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31328
Last edited by Arwin on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

What is the point of copy/pasting all that crap here?
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Drakonite wrote:What is the point of copy/pasting all that crap here?
At the very least because it seems to be a strong confirmation of Linux being present on all PS3 HDDs ... something which I imagine should interest us homebrewers a fair bit? Not to mention the fact that KK refers to the PSP homebrew scene as a positive thing he wants to see happening on the PS3?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

I meant why did you copy/paste all that crap here instead of just providing a link...

We don't need to have duplicate copies of everything that everyone says spamming our boards...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

The only real spamming that occurs is in the form of a topic. If I have to make a new topic just for a link, I might as well copy the contents of that link in the OP, so you don't actually have to go to that page and back, for quoting on different parts of the OP, the original board might change its links, go offline, etc.

If a moderator thinks I should replace the OP with a link I'll be happy to, but so far I don't see the point. Much rather I'd have a moderator delete all posts so far besides the OP, as they are completely irrelevant to the topic.

For me anyway this is big news.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Big news or not, most people have likely seen it, and if they haven't they have no problems following a link.

If you want to post a small except and then discuss it go for it, sounds great... but copy/pasting the entire contents of a link 'just so others see it' seems like quite a waste to me..

IMO if people are going to be posting links just to point them out, with no discussion about them, that there should be a single thread for all of that... The only reason it hasn't happened is that things are still early, and other than making sure things don't go down hill there isn't a lot of attention paid to this forum..

Oh, and btw... I do happen to be one of the admins here...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

I've cleaned up the OP. Hopefully you or another moderator (or are you only admin and not a mod?) can clean up this topic.
gorim

Post by gorim »

Cell is something new and not here yet. People with optimism and vision on this and want to contribute are far and few in between. Just as the PSP forums started out on the wild side, it might be useful to give great leniency to how things are done on the cell forums until we can see where things go, and what would need eventual clamping down. Not sure we are there yet, since topics are still kinda far and few between.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

gorim wrote:Cell is something new and not here yet. People with optimism and vision on this and want to contribute are far and few in between. Just as the PSP forums started out on the wild side, it might be useful to give great leniency to how things are done on the cell forums until we can see where things go, and what would need eventual clamping down. Not sure we are there yet, since topics are still kinda far and few between.
Thus why I've done nothing other than discuss the issue ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development