PS3 dev

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Steve F

PS3 dev

Post by Steve F »

Hi guys,

Anyone looked at PS3 dev? I see IBM has a Cell BE simulator that will boot fedora and a patch for SPU as a device, tool chain from BSC, and libraries and sample code for matrix math, MPEG2 decoding, etc.

I haven't found anything regarding PS3 OS. Any guess if the console will use linux or be more like PS2?

Cheers,
illfoundedmind

Post by illfoundedmind »

I haven't found anything regarding PS3 OS.
What OS?? no sony will make there own as usually (example: psp, ps1, ps2, see were this is going??)
illfoundedmind Production StudioImage
Steve F

Post by Steve F »

I'm sure I can presume they will provide low level drivers and game engines will be their own kernel (a la PS2 et al.).

I read that they are fitting an nVidia video chip and OpenGL ES. And, will continue their open platform position for hardware vendors. It got me wondering if they might base an OS on linux. I have mixed feelings about that. Anyway, I'm interested in what the development environment will be like.

Edit 1/21/2006

Have you seen the demo clips at http://media.ps3.ign.com/articles/635/6 ... ids_1.html? Sony says they are releasing the source code to the Duck Demo to developers. I looked for it this morning on the internet but no luck.