Data representation (hex values) - Cell processor

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

liberostelios

Data representation (hex values) - Cell processor

Post by liberostelios »

Hi,

My name is Stelios and i am working on PES/NBA 2K modding communities for PC. We do lot of work on hexediting files for those games and making editing possible. I am interesting on doing so for PS3, even though i know Blu-ray burning isn't possible, and i would like to find ways to understand a file's structure shown on a hex editor...

On PC, hex representation is pretty much simple (little-endian). But on PS3 things seem much more different due to different CPU architecture (Cell Processor). How should i find any clue about byte representation (for integer, long values etc.) on PS3? Any information or link to resources, documentation would be really helpful. But for now i can't find much thing. I don't even know how to search for it on Google.

Hope you can help me. Also, take a look on our site www.moddingway.com, if you like.

Thanks, in advance...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

There's TONS of info on the CBE out there... manuals, programming guides, environments... you ain't looking if you claim you can't find anything. :P

The Cell is Big-Endian, like all other PPCs. Some model PPCs can be set for little-endian operation, but that was never used outside of the old Windows NT for PPC.