New to the forums, but have an idea,

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

madshaun1984

New to the forums, but have an idea,

Post by madshaun1984 »

Hi all,
I am pretty n00bish with this kind of stuff, but thought I would post and suggest this anyway, at least I should learn something from it lol

Anyway the idea is, if we can run homebrew on the ps3 in the xmb, (in the form of swap magic/ulaunch.elf, whats stopping us creating new .elfs for use in cracking the ps3's hdd encryption or finding vunerabilities in the h/v, or to take snapshots of the ps3 hdd while its in use??? As far as I was aware, ps2 .elf file are now possible for us to modify/write new ones, so if thats the case has this been looked at? I would start with this and create a .elf that takes a snapshot of the ps3's hdd, then dumps that to usb, only problem is I'm not clued up enough to be able to do it yet,

Please dont flame me if I'm being stupid, like I say its an idea,

MadS,
ouasse

Post by ouasse »

if we can run homebrew on the ps3 in the xmb
we definitely cannot.
madshaun1984

Post by madshaun1984 »

(ouasse) we definitely cannot.
I beg to differ, I have helped quite a few people to get ulaunch and emu's running via the swap magic method from the xmb, so I know .elf's run, and as such sony havent blocked this in the latest fw either,

If you'd like more info on this please feel free to pm me, and I'll send you the relevant links, but a google search will bring up the tut's/files you need,

MadS,
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You're talking about PS2 homebrew. He was referring to PS3 homebrew. PS2 homebrew won't work on new PS3's anyway - Sony removed support for that starting with the 40G two USB port console. Sony also removed support for homebrew BDJAVA as well at 2.50, so I guess ouasse should have said, no PS3 homebrew in the XMB at all, no PS2 homebrew if you have the new model PS3, and no BDJAVA if you have 2.50+.