Is there a ps3sdk?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

mrbrown
Site Admin

Is there a ps3sdk?

Post by mrbrown »

I've seen mention of ps3sdk in the forums, but I don't see anything in SVN. Does it exist somewhere public? Thanks.
"He was warned..."
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

mrbrown!

There's a toolchain in svn, but there's no ps3sdk because it's just Linux. And even the toolchain isn't particularly useful, with most PS3 Linux distros already including the necessary ppu-gcc and spu-gcc packages.

There are some individual projects like python-ps3 that provide ps3-targetted libraries for game development in Linux.

A ps3sdk that mirrors Sony (like the ps2sdk and pspsdk) would be useful for homebrew development under gameos, but there's been very little hacking on that front, mostly because Linux is so readily available.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

A few of us (you can probably guess names) have talked about making a small microkernel which runs directly under OtherOS and exposes basic hardware (think around the complexity of the EE kernel). However I don't think anybody really has the drive to get this done right now, although it'd be an interesting project.

There are a group of people working on a linux based "standard platform" which should help developers. (It'll provide a standardized PC side toolchain, a standard way to load and package programs, and a standard set of libraries)
http://code.google.com/p/ouros it's looking promising, but still early days. I know they're working on optimized graphics libraries and such too...
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Right, I don't want to deal with Linux, I was thinking more along the lines of an SDK that dealt directly with the HV. So (out of curiosity), has anyone gotten anything to build or boot under the "gameos"?

The microkernel sounds interesting, but that wouldn't be anything I could assist with unfortunately. I was more trying to see what all was out there currently. Thanks guys.
"He was warned..."
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

So (out of curiosity), has anyone gotten anything to build or boot under the "gameos"?
Nope, no native code on retail hardware.
Last edited by jimparis on Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

The whole point of "OurOS" is to reduce the amount of linux crap people have to deal with to get something running, but it's a way from being completed.

Me and emoon (mostly emoon) spent a little bit of time on the microkernel thing and got an ethernet program working directly under lv1 (though not released since it's crazily flakey), and there is the "OtherOS demo" which runs directly on lv1 without linux... The linux bootloaders will quite happily load a random elf from NFS which will run directly under lv1.

Most of us made a conscious decision a while ago to avoid trying to hack "GameOS" since it will only really bring piracy to the table.
Rex_VF5

Post by Rex_VF5 »

Actually there is an original (Sony's) SDK for PS3 and it even appeared in the wild (I do not have it - just before you ask). It allows one thing current Linux-based SKDs won't do - access the GPU. However it is useless for you as it is intended for DEBUG/TEST machines (I don't have one either).The main problem is that without proper keys you are not able to sign the produced binaries and thus run them on (RETAIL) PS3 under GameOS.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Why isnt the toolchain pre-compile for the machines then?
PSHN - Playstation Hacking Network
PSX/PS1 - HACK - Game Shark
PS2 - HACK - Swap
PSP - HACK - Pandora
PS3 - ?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Dariusc123456 wrote:Why isnt the toolchain pre-compile for the machines then?
The toolchain here is a cross compiler and there's no way to know what the user will be using it on (linux32/linux64/win32/win64/bsd...). If you have a linux distro installed on the PS3, the linux toolchain for the PS3 will be in the distro's repo.
emoon

Post by emoon »

What I had running was a smallish program that ran directly as an "OtherOS" that setup a network driver and then you were able to execute an elf by sending it over with raw ethernet frames to the MAC address of the PS3.

As jbit said its very flakey and not really ready for release and currently I don't have that much motivation to work on it.

But if I would it would not be based on linux in any way as I dont want a ps3sdk that would enforce GPL upon people.
nbauernf

Post by nbauernf »

Emoon / Jbit: Are you writing your own microkernel, or are you extracting the extraneous things away from the regular linux kernel?

I am, in my rare spare time, working on writing an OS for the PS3 and your stuff has caught my eye but want to know if you're starting from the ground up, or if you're just making it easier for others to get started with linux brew on the PS3.

Thanks.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

nbauernf wrote:Emoon / Jbit: Are you writing your own microkernel, or are you extracting the extraneous things away from the regular linux kernel?

I am, in my rare spare time, working on writing an OS for the PS3 and your stuff has caught my eye but want to know if you're starting from the ground up, or if you're just making it easier for others to get started with linux brew on the PS3.

Thanks.
Our stuff is pretty much dead ("back burnered"), we were writing from scratch though, since we dislike GPL code for this kind of thing.

What sort of stuff are you doing for the OS, drop by #ps3dev if you have some time for a chat, it might be interesting and we might be able to help or you might save some other guys some times. :)
mc

Post by mc »

I actually started working on an SDK a couple of months ago. It's not very useful
yet, but if there are people who are interested in helping out I could publish
the bzr repository...
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
nbauernf

Post by nbauernf »

mc: I wondered what you were up to ... =). I was kind of surprised you stopped doing things after mcload (since you have a good start toward something substantial). There are definitely things in the works right now, and an extra brain always helps things get done right the first time around. (of course jbit and some other guys in ps3dev are working more on the sdk side of things - whereas I'm doing OS level things)
mc

Post by mc »

Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people