(newbie) homebrew in the background

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

kylratix

(newbie) homebrew in the background

Post by kylratix »

(I'm very adept in nix/gnu build developments, but I just got my ps3 so please bare with me on the OS specific stuff as it's all new to me.)

I've been skimming this forum for info and have a few questions:

Everyone homebrewing is setting up a custom boot of linux and doing hardware specific testing on that boot OR using the otherOS package. Is that the gist of it?

OtherOS leaves the PS3 "window manager" (playstation system / when you press the PS button.)?

I'm interested in writing apps that work within the PS3 window manager. I'd build apps that run in the background while you're playing your game like some of the built-in utlities do.

Specifically, I'd like this ability for the web browser so that I can look up cheat-sheets while I play without quiting the game. I was thinking of doing something small, maybe porting lynx or something at first.

Is there a way to load homebrew to be executed in this fashion? Or does everything involve bootstrapping a new OS?
Jim

Post by Jim »

You can't write any software that runs under Sony's XMB OS.
You can either install an OtherOS-bootalble OS like Linux and develop on that, or you can go a little lower level and write programs that will run as if they were OtherOS.

Jim
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You can get bare if you like, but I'm keeping my clothes on. ;)

You USED to be able to write apps in JBD (Java for BD), but Sony apparently killed that in 2.42 or somewhere thereabouts. If you still run an older firmware on the PS3, you should be able to make Java apps that run from the USB under the PS3 XMB. There are a few examples out, like a NES emulator and a few simple games. Check DCemu's PS3 forum for those.