Does FW2.50 block BD-J homebrew?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Sdw

Does FW2.50 block BD-J homebrew?

Post by Sdw »

I read on some site that the NES emulator written in BD-J didn't work in 2.50 anymore. Technical details were nonexistent though, so I thought I'd ask here - have Sony blocked running BD-J from USB completely in 2.5?
That would be totally retarded, I mean, the BD-J stuff runs sandboxed, so why not let people play with it?
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Yes, no more BD-J running from USB media.

Your conclusion is correct. Current Sony bosses are silly.

They are secretly panicking, seeing PS3 as the third competitor on market. Their solution is to promote PS3 as a game console only.
It's then logical (for them) to shut down anything that may make the PS3 appear as an attractive computer.

They are probably very pleased that Linux gets poor performances on a PS3 with up to date firmware.

I personally think it's a fraud. I really invested in a PS3 thinking it would become an entertaining computer. I haven't lost too much yet by keeping my fw under 2.10, but I'm less than happy with Sony behaviour.
I smell serious hacks coming soon to break this silly situation (on older fw only).

(beside that I'm interested to know if flash 9 supported in 2.50 uses accelerated 3D. that may raise hopes a bit, but I don't think it's the case)
Sdw

Post by Sdw »

I guess Sony really, really doesn't want me to buy a PS3.

* I was going to buy one at launch. Then I found out that Linux/OtherOS wasn't permitted to access the RSX => I decided to wait.

* Then I was going to buy one when the FIFO buffer thing was found, and homebrew could access RSX. Of course they patched it. => I decided to wait.

* Now I wanted a BD-player, so I was going to buy one and at least play around a bit with BD-J for some minor homebrew fun. And they patched that away => I guess I'll wait again.
Zmathuee

Post by Zmathuee »

ps2devman wrote:Yes, no more BD-J running from USB media.

Your conclusion is correct. Current Sony bosses are silly.

They are secretly panicking, seeing PS3 as the third competitor on market. Their solution is to promote PS3 as a game console only.
It's then logical (for them) to shut down anything that may make the PS3 appear as an attractive computer.

They are probably very pleased that Linux gets poor performances on a PS3 with up to date firmware.

I personally think it's a fraud. I really invested in a PS3 thinking it would become an entertaining computer. I haven't lost too much yet by keeping my fw under 2.10, but I'm less than happy with Sony behaviour.
I smell serious hacks coming soon to break this silly situation (on older fw only).

(beside that I'm interested to know if flash 9 supported in 2.50 uses accelerated 3D. that may raise hopes a bit, but I don't think it's the case)
Sony wouldn't remove avchd, they have many avchd recorders and there are many bluray players other than the ps3 that support avchd. We probably made a mistake when creating the homebrew that caused it not to authenticated by the ps3 right.
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

I dont think Sony is dropping AVCHD at all, what they HAVE done is stopped all BD-J code from running except code coming from a legit authenticated Blu-Ray disk.

As for Sony, by pulling this kind of crap, have ensured that I (and likely others) will NOT buy anything made by Sony. The last Sony product I bought was a Sony Cyber-Shot digital camera (a purchase which I still regret because the camera is junk) and I will not be buying any more hardware or electronics from Sony. Or music for that matter.
Zmathuee

Post by Zmathuee »

jonwil wrote:I dont think Sony is dropping AVCHD at all, what they HAVE done is stopped all BD-J code from running except code coming from a legit authenticated Blu-Ray disk.
Well many of the avchd camcorders connect to the ps3 through usb... By them blocking (Which I don't think they will) usb avchd ruins the whole point of it.
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

They probably wanted to stop the big danger to the ps3 industry that is the nes piracy in BD-J :p
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

moonlight wrote:They probably wanted to stop the big danger to the ps3 industry that is the nes piracy in BD-J :p
Well, today it's a NES emulator... tomorrow it's a PS2 emulator! ;) :lol:
tuna74

Post by tuna74 »

jonwil wrote:I dont think Sony is dropping AVCHD at all, what they HAVE done is stopped all BD-J code from running except code coming from a legit authenticated Blu-Ray disk.
Is there such a thing as a authenticated BD? Can't anyone make such a disc?
jonwil

Post by jonwil »

What does AVCHD have to do with BD-J?
I doubt Sony have (or plan) to do anything to stop the AVCHD video codec from working (including working from a USB camcorder). They do seem to be stopping BD-J apps from running via USB mass storage devices though.
Zmathuee

Post by Zmathuee »

jonwil wrote:What does AVCHD have to do with BD-J?
I doubt Sony have (or plan) to do anything to stop the AVCHD video codec from working (including working from a USB camcorder). They do seem to be stopping BD-J apps from running via USB mass storage devices though.
Avchd and bd-j are almost the same thing, one requires a BD-disk the other can use any form of media. And most camcorders make menu's for avchd using java so I'm sure we just made a mistake with our BD-J apps.