PS3 XNA?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Ouren

PS3 XNA?

Post by Ouren »

Is there an indy suite for PS3 that is sort of like XNA?

I dont like the 360 at all, but I'm forced to use those tools at this time.

I'd like a ps3 version as well.... does it exist at all?
Compound

Post by Compound »

Wouldnt be possible for the PS3 at the moment.

first of all you get no graphics acceleration from the GPU under PS3 linux, secondly im not entirely sure how well the linux emulation type code for running c# from etc are. In fact im pretty sure the only way to run any directX under linux is through wine or cedega. so in short no.

its all pretty low level at the moment, get stuck in and learn about the architecture ;)
PvL2008

PhyreEngine

Post by PvL2008 »

Something I haven't seen mentioned here before - it seems PhyreEngine, a cross-platform engine, can be used for 'free' - From http://cuernavacajoven.com/phyreengine/ ... &Itemid=32 :
As far as now, the FREE-&-Not character of PhyreEngine has let down to many, however there is still hope, one is to expect SONY to release it free for all sooner or later, and the second is to apply for a SCE license, this may look impossible and complicated, how such a big company will grant me with a license? How much paper work must be needed? Well I tell you this: the dreaming is part of any Indie and if you are not willing to make this incredible effort then maybe you are not really interested in developing games... Well I am only making it dramatic, the only thing you need to do is to FILL-A-FORM
Regarding it's cross-platform nature, consider this, from http://cuernavacajoven.com/phyreengine/ ... &Itemid=31 :
in Europe, licenses were given already. For example, in the Xbox LIVE Arcade, a few games are already offered, one of such is "Grip Shift"(Xbox 360 Exclusive by Sidhe Interactive), in the PSN Sotre is offered "flOw" plus its Expansion pack (PS3 Exclusive by Jenova Chen) and "Colin McRae: DiRT "(for PS3/Xbox360/PC by Codemasters). So, SONY made "PHYRE ENGINE" not only for PS3, but also to be the leading engine in the development of Xbox360 titles and PC games. Does "PHYRE ENGINE" mean Xbox360 Games will be made by SONY?; "PHYRE ENGINE" main feature is the fact that it is cross-plataform, at least it is how it is described by SCEE: "It does not matter if you call it Windows and/or Xbox360, the migration/exportation to these systems is designed to be utmost easy". The engine core has been designed so that it supports and optimizes the use of multiple core CPU sets especially the PS3 multicore: Cell.
thomas_fogh

Post by thomas_fogh »

zbowling

Post by zbowling »

I commented on this about 2 years ago. I'm one of the developers on the mono project which is a cross platform implementation of the standards behind .NET. XNA is another flavor of .NET (with limitations) that has bindings to directX and other crap. We have a project started as part of a google summer of code project to support some of these interfaces.

http://zbowling.com/blog/2006/12/03/xna ... linuxmono/
capz

Post by capz »

zbowling wrote:I commented on this about 2 years ago. I'm one of the developers on the mono project which is a cross platform implementation of the standards behind .NET. XNA is another flavor of .NET (with limitations) that has bindings to directX and other crap. We have a project started as part of a google summer of code project to support some of these interfaces.

http://zbowling.com/blog/2006/12/03/xna ... linuxmono/
Compound wrote:Wouldnt be possible for the PS3 at the moment.

first of all you get no graphics acceleration from the GPU under PS3 linux, secondly im not entirely sure how well the linux emulation type code for running c# from etc are. In fact im pretty sure the only way to run any directX under linux is through wine or cedega. so in short no.

its all pretty low level at the moment, get stuck in and learn about the architecture ;)
m he is saying that he would love an XNA-like tool from sony, not that he wants xna on the ps3, which would be horrible anyway.

edit: if he can have C#, then i want objective-C <_<
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

capz wrote:edit: if he can have C#, then i want objective-C <_<
Objective C already runs fine on the PS3 :)
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Yes, PhyreEngine I think is what is closest to XNA ... it should be really good. Now just offer it for download, Sony! :)