Access to the GPU

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

JFASI

Access to the GPU

Post by JFASI »

How much access has this project achieved to the CPU? I know that it is blocked off from access by a virtual machine hypervisor, but for my purposes, this might be alright.

I am aiming to use the PS3's powerful GPU for creating a library for high speed matrix operations to add to build on existing supercomputing projects. I do not need more access to the graphics card than to pass small, custom assembly programs to it. Is this king of access also blocked off by the hypervisor?

Is there any place I can find details on the PS3 Linux's implementation of graphics card support, as well as more detailed descriptions of the GPU itself?

Thank you for your time

{edit} Aaaaaaaaaaaand I placed this thread in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. Mods, can we move this to the PS3 Linux discussion?
ouasse

Post by ouasse »

The GPU cannot be used in Linux environment.

For high speed matix computations, better use its powerful Cell processor instead. There's a Cell optimized BLAS library in the Cell SDK (see this document).
JFASI

Post by JFASI »

Are all the processors available under Linux? Because that would be great for all sorts of applications.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

1 PPU (2 hardware threads), and 6 SPUs are available.
JFASI

Post by JFASI »

Really, now? I had previously thought that most of the cores were blocked off by the hypervisor? This can open up for some interesting possibilities... Thanks a lot
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Yes, really.
See also the documentation from Sony where it's all described:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/peop ... ADDON/doc/