Help Needed Modifying commercial ps2 game

A place to post legitimate, console-related project recruitment or commercial employment opportunities.
Buzbee

Help Needed Modifying commercial ps2 game

Post by Buzbee »

I don't know if anyone would be interested in a small ps2 programming project. I am adding back stuff from the 2001 game Jade Cocoon 2 that Genki/Ubisoft removed prior to shipment. I have already done 3 working betas which can be downloaded here:

http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name= ... erby=dateD

If you have not played the game, you can check this info out to become familiar:

http://www.gcdtbes.com/Sony_Playstation ... ge_01.html

The game consists of several levels. Each level contains paths and caves. One or more beasts travel the paths which you can defeat. The caves contain an item, a storyline character, an egg which you must defeat a beast to get to, or a "seed beast fight". If a beast is travelling the path, you may enter a cave and have a tougher fight to get its cocoon. If you win this fight, you get a cocoon that allows you the option of merging your beast with the defeated beast's skill.
I know the addresses of all the seed beast fights in the elf file. Some have gotten left out of rotation - a bug. I need to find where this info is being stored (an array perhaps) and add these addresses to them to put them in rotation. I have also added back 5 seed beasts that were removed because their attacks were removed from the game. It does not look like these attacks are recoverable in the USA version - if I had the JAP ELF file, maybe I could. So what I did is add BOSS attacks to them that were not intended to be used by the gamer. In the Beta 1, I have also included an excel file with a bunch of offsets for cheat codes. I also have a more detailed one that I used for developing the Betas explaining what some of lines for the beasts' data.

I do not know any MIPS assembly. I have been able to do this with knowledge of hex, ps2dis, and a codebreaker cheat device. The 6MB elf file is also very well labelled. I assume the addresses loaded into the array could be physical addresses (this would be great) or possibly relative addresses or done by some other addressing mode. This is mainly what I need help with. Secondary, would be adding 2 egg fights (since I added back the two eggs that were removed), and adding back beasts travelling the paths since they should appear if there is to be a seed beast fight on that level for that beast.

I am an inexperienced computer programming graduate. I do not remember a lot of the details of my education except for the concepts.

If your interested, reply back and I can make available the USA ELF file on my ftp for you. I am still trying to track down the JAP ELF file to see if I can add back the original attacks to the removed seed beasts.

Thanks,
Buzbee
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Go away. We don't anything like this here.