I noob need youer help Fedora Core 7 !!!1one

A place to post legitimate, console-related project recruitment or commercial employment opportunities.
mitran

I noob need youer help Fedora Core 7 !!!1one

Post by mitran »

Hi I am soon geting a new sata hdd for my ps3 (200 Gig perhaps one just over 100 gigs ) however atlest 2x the Hdd alredy in the ps3."60GB"'

I am runing Fedora core 6 on my ps3 right now .
However cos Fedorea 6 takes upp atlest over 9 Gigs full install did delete KD Gui that did free over 1 gig ( giving me wow 1 gig to use . )
thank god for the USB HDD ( or who ever did invent USB 2.0 ) :)

so now to my Q how much harddrive space dose Fedora core 7 need full install , ( also i do not need any programming apps cos i do not programm) :(, ?
also dose dose it run at an ok rate ( 196 meg ram :( ) ?
perhaps a bit more soon thanks to IronPeter and other ( so sorry to put and "other") but i do not right now renember all youer "names" .
So the thing is wil a normal user better stay on Fedora core 6 a bit more or go over to core 7 ,? ( um i also run X so i must ceep runing X )
( yellowdog aint fun yet , no apps seem to work on yellowdog just yet ) more fun stuff works on fedora core 6 blender and other , nice things . also its easy too use atleast for me .
so what do you think will I be happy runing Fedora core 7 on the ps3 or more happy staying on fedora core 6 for now ?

thank you so so much !
best regards
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

First, don't do a full install, do a minimal install. Second, don't use Gnome or KDE, use XFCE. After that, be careful of what you install and you'll keep the bloat down. By the way, any reason you're considering F7 instead of F8?
mitran

Post by mitran »

J.F. wrote:First, don't do a full install, do a minimal install. Second, don't use Gnome or KDE, use XFCE. After that, be careful of what you install and you'll keep the bloat down. By the way, any reason you're considering F7 instead of F8?
XFCE ? is that in the "standard" fedora dvd ? or do i have to download it ? ( sory but i did not even know of XFCE )
is FC8 working good then ? ( the reason i did use full install was cos "evry" one says install full , also dose the curent Cell addon cd work on Fc8 ? , or dose Fc8 alredy have a "Ps3" ISO DVD ? also do i get "x" in the mini install ? ( cos i do realy need a Gui ) thanks
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

mitran wrote:
J.F. wrote:First, don't do a full install, do a minimal install. Second, don't use Gnome or KDE, use XFCE. After that, be careful of what you install and you'll keep the bloat down. By the way, any reason you're considering F7 instead of F8?
XFCE ? is that in the "standard" fedora dvd ? or do i have to download it ? ( sory but i did not even know of XFCE )
is FC8 working good then ? ( the reason i did use full install was cos "evry" one says install full , also dose the curent Cell addon cd work on Fc8 ? , or dose Fc8 alredy have a "Ps3" ISO DVD ? also do i get "x" in the mini install ? ( cos i do realy need a Gui ) thanks
Yes, XFCE is on the standard install disc. When you get to the log-in screen, you can pick the desktop manager from the list of Gnome (the default), KDE, or XFCE.

Looking around, there's apparently a bug that prevents Fedora 8 from booting on the PS3 that they're looking into. So Fedora 7 would be the maximum to use at the moment.

However, another idea would be to try Ubuntu instead. Ubuntu is really nice these days, and excellent for development. I do my NGC, PS2, and PSP deving on Ubuntu.

Here's a couple good links on Ubuntu on the PS3:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3
http://psubuntu.com/

You can get a CD ISO of the latest Ubuntu for the PS3 here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/custom/20071115-gutsy-ps3/
mitran

Post by mitran »

Hi and thank you good thing i did not install Fc8 then :P , any ways i have looked in to Ubuntu, and it looks realy nice and fun
( is it a good enviroment to lern linux more about linux ?
also how about apps `? like Blender , ( mostly blender but also KD3D , cos thay are realy nice on the ps3 as thay are now , abit slow. and i had to fight hard to get KD3D to run , but i lernt a lot fighing both Blender and Kd3d . ) however blender still craches X when i run it and exit or sometimes X gows down if i just look at blender lol :P.
so do you know if thay atlest boot ? ( if thay boot thay work , thats how i see it .)
Did just read up some , so from the info of thos pages , i do not have to do a ton of work inorder to get them to install , ( just a few monts back you had to do put some effort in order to get them to install now thay seem to be just as easy as Fedora core , more fun that way for noobs . ) hmm and if you ever want some 3d models just ask me ill make them as you want :P
mitran

Post by mitran »

stupid ps3 webbroweser wont let me type any more in my post so had to reply . anywas one Q more for the good sir , dose "gnash" or is it "gnach" ( the "yellowdog" "((flash))"" player work on Ubuntu ? adobe is so stuborn arnt thay thay take the time to port flash 9 on Linux 86x but ppc nop , even sony has "flash" player 7 in the built in webbrowser.
and thank you
as i did say befor if you ever need any 3d models done just tell me and give some consept to work from and i will gladly do them . ( giving me free hands is not always a good thing , :P ("- it was maximum 3k polys not 15 k polys!)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Most of your questions at this point should be directed at the Ubuntu forums in the PS3 section I pointed you to. This is a dev board. If you have a question writing some PS3 software in Ubuntu, you can ask in the PS3 forum here, but these questions you're asking now are general help having nothing to do with development. You'll find more help for those kinds of questions over in the Ubuntu forums... they might already even be answered over there. Use the search to check if there are threads on it in their forum.
mitran

Post by mitran »

J.F. wrote:Most of your questions at this point should be directed at the Ubuntu forums in the PS3 section I pointed you to. This is a dev board. If you have a question writing some PS3 software in Ubuntu, you can ask in the PS3 forum here, but these questions you're asking now are general help having nothing to do with development. You'll find more help for those kinds of questions over in the Ubuntu forums... they might already even be answered over there. Use the search to check if there are threads on it in their forum.
ok yeah i know , i did look it up now , anyways thanks for the help ,
it will be fun to start some modeling and perhasp skripting realy soon in Ubuntu,
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

mitran wrote:
J.F. wrote:Most of your questions at this point should be directed at the Ubuntu forums in the PS3 section I pointed you to. This is a dev board. If you have a question writing some PS3 software in Ubuntu, you can ask in the PS3 forum here, but these questions you're asking now are general help having nothing to do with development. You'll find more help for those kinds of questions over in the Ubuntu forums... they might already even be answered over there. Use the search to check if there are threads on it in their forum.
ok yeah i know , i did look it up now , anyways thanks for the help ,
it will be fun to start some modeling and perhasp skripting realy soon in Ubuntu,
You're welcome... I was in the proper frame of mind to not just tell you bugger off like I usually do. :D ;)

If/when you do get around to doing some PS3 stuff, there's a lot of good info in the PS3 forums here. You might just read a bunch of the old threads to get an idea of what folks are doing. Be sure to actually READ the old threads... people asking beginner questions in the technical forums DO get told to bugger off.