[PS2] LAN Gaming Over VPN

A place to post legitimate, console-related project recruitment or commercial employment opportunities.
shadoxx

[PS2] LAN Gaming Over VPN

Post by shadoxx »

I was wondering if anyone had done any research on playing LAN games over a VPN. I've played network games over Hamachi before on the PC, and would like to know if there's a similar solution for consoles.

Currently I have a copy of OpenVPN installed on my server, and I'll be doing some research for the next couple of days. It would be of great help if anyone could link me to similar research.

As of posting this, I know nothing about configuring OpenVPN, and I suspect I'll be learning that over the next few days. I was thinking maybe once I've gotten comforatable with configuring it, that I could setup some kind of gateway/passthrough for the PS2. Something that would involve messing with the gateway settings on my PS2's network configuration.

If the results of this investigation are positive, it would open up so many posibilities for online gaming, and would allow LAN only games (Gran Turismo 4 for example) to be played over the internet with a few friends. The only issue I can foresee would be latency.

A big project to undertake, and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Seems as though this project (and this post) have been short lived. After doing some digging (and asking my friend to help) it seems as though I'm behind the times. There already seems to be an easy solution for what I'm wanting to do. It can be found here.

I'm still kind of interested to see how this would work out with OpenVPN however, without having to rely on a centralized provider such as XLink. I'll still be researching OpenVPN, so if anyone wants to help find out how this would work without such software as XLink Kai, please post here.