FPS/RPG (PC) needs programmer(s)

A place to post legitimate, console-related project recruitment or commercial employment opportunities.
Morkai

FPS/RPG (PC) needs programmer(s)

Post by Morkai »

Hi all, I was directed here by a friend as I've been looking around for some possible coding help for a demo project. I apologize off the bat, it's for the PC and not a console, but as I've been told: if they can code for the PS2, they can code for anything.

The rest of the email uses a format required from the gamedev.net forums, but it has all the information in there. Thanks for your time guys, hope to hear from some interested individuals!

Team name:
Doomed Inc. Games (not a registered company, though that'd be the name I'd choose)

Project name:
Static

Brief description:
Planned first/third-person FPS with underlying RPG elements, a la Deus Ex and System Shock. Player assumes the role of Aya Prostoll, our protagonist, on mercenary-style missions that span a circular story arc. For existing references, think Deus Ex as attempted by Aeon Flux on a mercenary system similar to Mechwarrior or Armored Core games. Pay is necessary and desired, as there are plenty of money sinks and player enhancements/weapons to buy. Emphasis on multi-path and multi-playstyle design for both replay value and fitting scenarios for all in-game player skill sets (again, part of that RPG element). Setting is your typical ambiguous future date on an earth-like planet with two contrasting levels of civilization: the haves and the have-nots. Though not to be too cliche, the dichotomy comes from a planet-wide corporate labor layoff, and your destitute populous is still functioning, albeit anarchically.

Target aim:
Demo status to pitch to publishers, at which point team members will be offered work-for-hire status with equal-split royalty options provided we actually get funding. If no publishers or investors express interest at that point, we can pursue lesser levels of payed distribution or keep on with our existing work pace and release it free to the mod community as a HL2 total conversion.

Compensation:
No capability to pay without funding, although the work output commensurate with 8 hour workdays on salary definitely won't be expected unless the team lands a publishing contract.

Technology:
Bit of a grey area, the real reason why I'm posting. The demo will be built off of the Source engine, but I would like to discuss with those a bit more code-savvy the pros and cons of several engines (if the project remains freeware, it will more than likely stay on source. Unreal Tech. engines and Reality Engine are also perceived possibilities if money comes our way.) Target platform will be PCs averaging somewhere between current hardware and any nextgen specs that will be available in 2 years time, for high-end engine and graphics leverage.

Talent needed:
Primary need: programmers(1 to 2). Someone familiar or comfortable with the Source engine, or who can at least outline its capabilities as compare to my feature-centric design doc. I've got all art resources covered personally for the time being, but will definitely add the following to the team once I've consulted with my (as yet unfilled) code guy(s) as to project feasibility and other needed resources.
Secondary needs: concept artist(1), 3d modeller/animator(1), 2d texture artist(1), level designer(1), sound(filled). I could definitely use another skilled concept artist/writer to help me flesh out the elements of the world I've yet to really look at, to get some fresh input, etc.

Team structure:
Just me (Brandon) right now. The game world/storyline is kind of a pet project I spent a couple years developing as a concept; intertwining characters, creating engaging story elements, etc. I've dabbled in a bit of every side of the development process to gain perspective, from modelling and animation to studying rudimentary coding concepts, to sound creation and level design/mapping. My initial and longest experience though is in concepting. Worked in-house for Jaleco inc's QA department as well, so I'm familiar with the professional dev cycle and its processes.

Only thing I've created is a members-only dev team site. I have an initial design doc ready for anyone interested though, complete with character concept work

Contacts:
morkai[at]doomed-inc[dot]com, also on aim: culliswolf, and icq: 159264864. Interested folks feel free to use any of those means. (Note for artists: I'd like to see an example of your work in close proximity to your application so you don't wait long for a yes/no)

Additional Info:
I do apologize for the skeletal nature of specific game-world information, but I'm a little concerned with IP as I do have plans of taking this to publishers at the demo stage. Though, of course, anyone who comes on board will have full access to peruse docs and artwork as all IP rights are owned by the dev team as a whole.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

We've been getting enough of these that it's probably time to come up with some sort of policy. Personally, I only think we should allow "help wanted" posts if the game (commercial or not) actually exists on some webserver somewhere, as a way to filter out a billion "I think this would be cool..." type requests. I don't think that providing IM contact info is enough.

What do others think?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You could make Help Wanted it's own forum. Then most folks could simply ignore it if they aren't interested. At that point, posting for help outside the Help Wanted forum would be a castration level offense. :)
Morkai

Post by Morkai »

mrbrown wrote:We've been getting enough of these that it's probably time to come up with some sort of policy. Personally, I only think we should allow "help wanted" posts if the game (commercial or not) actually exists on some webserver somewhere, as a way to filter out a billion "I think this would be cool..." type requests. I don't think that providing IM contact info is enough.

What do others think?
What exactly are you requesting the game have before it "exists" on a webserver? I've created a development (password protected) section at games.doomed-inc.com for collaboration and communication, so what are you looking for? A website that advertises a game that doesn't exist yet? That's kind of why I came here with a (imho) very organized and to-the-point description of the help request. I don't have the programming know-how to put the game together, but am very organized and driven.

The way I see it, a game or game project shouldn't have a website until there's significant material for one, not just "look, the team rendered 6 weapons and took some map screenshots." That's rediculous hype.

But I apologize for offending anyone with one of a (apparent) flood of help requests. I was referred to your community, and took a shot at it.
rinco

Post by rinco »

I like the help-wanted forum section idea.

morkai: Are you sure Jaleco Inc don't own your ideas?
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

J.F., rinco: Help Wanted would have to be specifically for PS2 and PSP projects, IMO. There are many other boards with established Help Wanted sections, such as gamasutra.com and gamedev.net. Adding a generic Help Wanted just adds a ton of work moderating off-topic posts.

Morkai: I added the requirement of a working (or existing) game because as SF.net and many other game listing sites will show you, most game ideas specified on the Web never make it out of the planning or idea stages. I'd rather our forum users be exposed to real opportunities that are likely to benefit them.

Still waiting for ooPo to weigh in on this...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I agree, if there were a Help Wanted forum, it would need to be Playstation specific. This IS a Playstation development board, not a GAME development board. General calls for help for things like PC or Mac games would be a no-no - unless they were looking for someone to make a conversion of a game from Mac or PC to the Playstation. That would be on topic.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

This guy wants help making a source engine game? Sheesh! Its bad enough that people set up a 'team' to create a game when really they're just looking for coders to do their work for them. How dense can you be?

I do like the idea of a help wanted forum, but here's how I see it happening:

1) We should limit it to consoles, possibly Sony-only.
Console development is an obscure enough skill that it isn't far fetched that someone may look here for xbox or gamecube or whatever developers. I know a lot of us dabble in various platforms.

2) There should be very specific outlining of compensation involved.
Is it a free project? Do you plan on showing a demo to a publisher in hopes of getting paid someday? Or are you an established company looking to hire more staff? Be very clear in order to avoid problems later.

3) The project should be more than notes scribbled on a napkin.
You should be able to point to a website where the project has been described or at least provide some description of the project beyond 'Oh its a cool new FPS RPG LOL BBQ game!'. Some concept artwork would be nice, or at least some indication of being more than idea you came up with during your beer-soaked Halo 2 weekend. I'm talking to you, fratboy!

4) We (ps2dev/pspdev) are not responsible for the content.
This one is obvious, but should be pointed out from the start. We do not check into the posts that are made and only provide a place where they can be posted. If a person gets screwed out of payment by a bad deal its their own damn fault. ALWAY READ CAREFULLY AND PROTECT YOURSELF.

If there's no complaints, I'll whip up the forum.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Moved to Help Wanted.