Looking for a programmer

A place to post legitimate, console-related project recruitment or commercial employment opportunities.
turkeyman

Looking for a programmer

Post by turkeyman »

This is an out-there request that will probably only interest very few individuals..

I'm looking for a programmer to work on a small game/demo project based on a very fast, efficient and flexible cross platform engine i've been working on for the past year or so..

There are a few reasons for this,
I feel after working on my engine for a long while, its matured to a point where i'd like to test it in a practical application.

Additionally, this application must have nothing to do with me.. I want to gather some genuine critical feedback regarding application to an actual game project in a variety of different environments/scenarios..

I'm way too close to the source to give myself reasonable criticism :) (even tho i'm probably my hardest critic)

So yeah, i figure this may interest some individuals interested in writing a small game for various platforms, but dont have the time or desire to spend loads of time writing and debugging low level hardware code (ie, the lua audience, but with very fast and non-interpreted tech)..

My end goal is to produce a solid, self contained and **consistant** engine that will be available to the homebrew community to develop cross platform games quickly and easilly, while not sacrificing efficiency or flexibility.

I currently support PC, Linux, XBox and PSP.. with some infrastructure for PS2 and dreamcast and i hope to add support for gamecube in the not too distant future.. But at this point, thats all secondary to getting good solid interface design in terms of simplicity, flexibility, and extensibility..

Anyway i'm sure nobody really cares :P
But if you are interested, or even just curious, feel free to write me at turkeyman[nospam](at)gmail.nospam.com (yeah take the nospam bits out ;) ..
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

OT.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Uh, do you realize you didn't even mention what type of game engine it is?

So, essentially what your whole blurb was about is that you want feedback on an unspecified type of game engine that you haven't even made available? Or did I miss something here?
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
turkeyman

Post by turkeyman »

Yeah you didnt really miss too much..
In more detail,

Its not any 'type' of game engine, its very general.. Its not meant to be a quake or anything like that..
I provide interfaces for graphics, sound, networking, collision, debugging, file system stuff, input, fonts, effects, heap management, general optimised math, view & scene management, etc..

I also provide a toolchain which manages game assets + converts various source data into optimised platform specific data archives which various platforms load at runtime to improve memory and performance efficiency and minimise load times..

And as i said in my post, i will make it available to anyone with genuine interest (which i didnt expect would be very many people) .. I may make it publically available when i'm happy with it, but i dont like releasing beta products..

For the moment, everything i list above is quite complete and supported across platforms..

What i am trying to offer that SDL & other popular cross platform API's dont, is a sense of unity to the whole game development environment..

I am trying to maintain a strict consistant API throughout all aspects of the engine, i am also providing tools and data paths for assets..

Writing a game based on this tech is very simple, it takes the engine tech out of the equation and leaves a programmer to just writing their game, and it will already be supported across all platforms automatically without any changes to code, and without depending on countless external libraries..

Anyway, i get the impression you just wanted to have a dig at me rather than give me any positive criticism ;)
I do accept that my post was extremely flakey..
Chrighton

Re: Looking for a programmer

Post by Chrighton »

turkeyman wrote:Anyway i'm sure nobody really cares :P
But if you are interested, or even just curious, feel free to write me at turkeyman[nospam](at)gmail.nospam.com (yeah take the nospam bits out ;) ..
I'm sure more people are interested than you think, just many tend to be less vocal about it for whatever reason. I think it's a very worthy endeavor and it has my interest.
turkeyman

Post by turkeyman »

cool, cheers :)

well it was moved off topic almost instantly, so i figured that was fairly representative of public opinion ;)

i still need a couple of people to help me out writing some test apps and demos..
i really need the practical feedback..
helps verify my decisions with the api/etc and find bugs/issues/inconsistancies..
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Moved to Help Wanted.