What about MP3/OGG and UMD access?

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

bolk

What about MP3/OGG and UMD access?

Post by bolk »

I see LUA Player split in several branches:

1) MP3/OGG branch: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=6858
2) UMD access branch: http://psplua.com/?cat=28

what about add this changes to main branch? I wrote file manager and would to add UMD access and MP3/OGG support in internal player.
cools

Post by cools »

Hmm... in the next release of Lua Player Mod 4, i might add in the umd functions. (still thinking about it)
bolk

Post by bolk »

And what about OGG/MP3? Can you add this features directly from other branches?
bolk

Post by bolk »

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't catch what you LUA Player Mod author :)

Cools, I can't open gabe.xw-h.com site! Is it up after a time?
bolk

Post by bolk »

Cools, can you port System.setCpuSpeed* functions as well as UMD support?

And is possible to add program (pbp) exectution in LUA player?
Shine

Post by Shine »

Ogg/Vorbis support is a good idea for Lua Player, but I don't like MP3 or UMD access. MP3 has licensing issues ( http://www.mp3licensing.com/ ) and I can't image any legal reason for UMD access. Starting other pbp's could be a good idea, because then Lua Player could be a loader for other homebrew programs. setCpuSpeed may be dangerous, because I don't have official information from Sony that if it damages the PSP, so a good idea would be to ask the user, if this is allowed (built-in into the Lua Player setCpuSpeed function, e.g. "allow it for this session, only", "allow it every time" (which saves a ocnfig file in the Lua Player directory), "not allowed").

But Lua Player is BSD licenced, so there is nothing wrong if there are multiple branches with different features.
bolk

Post by bolk »

Shine wrote:Ogg/Vorbis support is a good idea for Lua Player, but I don't like MP3 or UMD access. MP3 has licensing issues ( http://www.mp3licensing.com/ )
I think it no have any problem provide MP3 playing thru standart PSP API (since PSP can play MP3).
Shine wrote:and I can't image any legal reason for UMD access.
Just a backup (video and music). No more else. This is justly. For example, IR Shell provide UMD access and change CPU frequency.
Shine wrote:setCpuSpeed may be dangerous, because I don't have official information from Sony that if it damages the PSP, so a good idea would be to ask the user
333Mhz is not overclocking. It's normal freq for PSP R4000-based CPU. Sony decrease freq of CPU because it's use battery faster. For competitive edge reason (beside Nintendo DS) Sony decrease freq. Oh, I hope you understand my ugly English :)
bolk

Post by bolk »

e.g.: hardware specifications of the PSP system:
PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
Some homebrew may change freq (e.g. Bookr - book reader homebrew). It's absolutely safe.
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

yes bookr changes your cpu speed ...as it allows the user
to select which he/she sees fit is a good clockrate ...i have not
seen any side effects/damage from this changing and would
consider pretty safe indeed ...albeit it will run your battery dry :)
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010
bolk

Post by bolk »

One more cite:
For being so young, this emulator is surprisingly excellent. Almost every game I tried was playable after small adjustments to the frameskip or sound processing. It also supports “overclocking” the PSP to 333MHz. It’s not really overclocking because the PSP was designed to run at 333MHz but is underclocked to 222MHz to save battery life.