LUA-RTS-PSP

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

Mesmer

LUA-RTS-PSP

Post by Mesmer »

After half a year, no words has heard from starcraft-PSP, the LUA port version of the Great Classic.
I has decided to pick up this project, due to my recent discovery with this PSP, and my long love with blizzard games.
coming from a different world of World of Warcraft Emulation Coding. He decided to build and finish this RTS
with my knowledge and will learn along the way, the aspect of code will be completely rewritten.
As to turn this unfinished project to an first PSP-RTS engine.
Over the next few days, I will try to upload everything he has related to the RTS game he knows most, Starcraft. to an SVN

SVN: https://opensvn.csie.org/traccgi/PSCP/browser
Project Forum: http://www.thedarkcorner.org/forum/inde ... ,93.0.html

and start writting a flex-able code to fit the RTS need, and possible future RTS port such as WC3, CnC, and etc.

I am not new to programming, However, I am new to LUA and RTS programming. I wish to gain idea and support from you all

Regards.
`Mesmer

p.s.
more information can be found regarding this project in the SVN.
TY in advance.
link

Post by link »

shoot, i just spent a week coding my engine for StarCraft. i didnt even know this existed.

ohh well... can you please make a .zip or something? or how do you download the complete folders?
00100000 01101001 01101101 00100000 01110010 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101000 01101001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100001
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

any more news on either project, i am a massive rts fan :)
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
Mesmer

Post by Mesmer »

It's actually coming out rather well. It's very slow due to my school work.

Cons:

disabled animation for lag.
disabled fog of war for lag.
no bullet animation, tho the nuke works ;P
Horrible AI.

Pros:

5 by 5 psp screen panning.
3 land levels, water land and air.
map creator LIB system ( WIP)
-path point system
able to select up to 10 units, as well as control per unit.
only 1 race is avaiable so far, Terrans
SCVs are able to mine both mineral and gas and able to return to base.
(Only 1 base support tho...)
attack on command.
semi working patrol.

Ne ways, I totally forgot about this place untill I have to look for LUA help once again.

I was really thinking of online mutli player.

I was thinking if there is anyway to storage and access a SQL database via PHP, by logging in to a CMS system coded in PHP to transfer data from client to client.

I must thank youresam greatly for netlib idea of approach and his source code which I studied from.

Suggestions and help are welcome.

`Mesmer

p.s.

please, this project is FAR from done. try not to get too excited, but however I'm not going to give up on it. too much rep to lose in other places ;P

EDIT:

Also, SC related sprites are GREATLY WELCOME!

god, you have no idea how long it takes to crop this out of a video.

Thanks!
Altair

Post by Altair »

Hey cool you're still working on this. I have one suggestion: I ported the A* algorithm to LUA. I'm not sure if you know what it is, so I'll explain what it is anyway. It is an algorithm which searches for the shortest path across the map. It's what all the commercial RTS's use, however they use some tricks to make it faster, however the algorithm works. Pretty well I may add.

I posted it here on Evilmana.
http://evilmana.com/tutorials/codebase/ ... orithm.php
The example was deleted when it was updated, but if you want I can post it here aswell.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Funny how things work, but A* got it's start as a trace routing algorithm for PCB layout software. Now it's used in games...
Mesmer

Post by Mesmer »

Altair wrote:Hey cool you're still working on this. I have one suggestion: I ported the A* algorithm to LUA. I'm not sure if you know what it is, so I'll explain what it is anyway. It is an algorithm which searches for the shortest path across the map. It's what all the commercial RTS's use, however they use some tricks to make it faster, however the algorithm works. Pretty well I may add.

I posted it here on Evilmana.
http://evilmana.com/tutorials/codebase/ ... orithm.php
The example was deleted when it was updated, but if you want I can post it here aswell.
Yes, I have been studying this ever since it's released, I have come to a pretty good understanding of that piece of code. and I have implanted "some" level-based A* algorithm "mod" of my own. which allowed me to create water, air, and land levels on a map.

I really want a good map system to work with this game that makes it easy.

also, Just wondering, Is it possible to use another datastorge type other than say TXT? possible to use XML? or anything along those lines?

`Mesmer
Altair

Post by Altair »

I believe you can name the file whatever you want. LUA will just open it and use it as if it was a LUA file.

How did you make the level-based mod? Did you make that made it so that it takes another matrix with heuristic values? I could have given you that one because I made it I just never released it.
Mesmer

Post by Mesmer »

Altair wrote:I believe you can name the file whatever you want. LUA will just open it and use it as if it was a LUA file.

How did you make the level-based mod? Did you make that made it so that it takes another matrix with heuristic values? I could have given you that one because I made it I just never released it.
umm. right but it still open as LUA.

which means I'll have to code a systematic storage type file then load it up and read it off?

I was just wondering if there is an easier way

I understand you can use many different type of files.

but I was wondering structure wise. because it seems most of everything would be loaded as txt/lua code

when I wanna save something in XML like

<name>Zergling</name>

or any other format that's easier to edit later on.

the Arrays I'm using right now is fine. however I would like to make the database more friendly to my self, as well as others.

`Mesmer
OwlHuntr

Post by OwlHuntr »

Okay i looked at the SVN and no wonder you are not getting anywhere. The images should be arranged in folders by their name (eg. /SCV/ ) and then the angle that they are looking at (eg. /SCV/90.png). THen once in the main program you can get the angle and call up the appropriate picture (eg. SCV is moving/looking at a right angle -> then screen:draw(scvx, scvy, "/scv/" .. 90 .. ".png). Something like that. Can you let me develop with you since i have extensive Lua knoledge since the release of Garrys Mod 9 so I have been Luaing for 1-2 years now. Just send me a zip with your current work to [email protected] and I will be happy to help you.