Free Scrolling engine code for you guys

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

Giuliano

Free Scrolling engine code for you guys

Post by Giuliano »

Here is something I never finished. Simply didn't have the time nor the concepts to make it into a fun game but it does have a scrolling isometric tile engine along with a bunch of other stuff.

I made this a few versions of LUA ago so I am not sure how much LUA has improved. At the time, I had to do a few things to make the game run at full speed like pre-rendering the tile image, then breaking it up because there was a limit of image dimension, etc... It's got it all in there. The roads also connect together as you build them.

Good code for snippets.

Here's a s/s:

Download:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X6BK6QEO

Let me know if the link goes down. It's being hosted at megaupload. If anyone wants to mirror, go ahead.

Enjoy :)
chriso

Post by chriso »

I may be wrong, but where is the upload. When you go to medauploads it says wait 45 seconds, counts down then nothing happens.

[edit]
scrap that, it was hidden under a page of banner ads. Have downloaded now, doesnt work in windows lua player (just a black screen) but will try on PSP.
Altair

Post by Altair »

EDIT: nvm
Shine

Re: Free Scrolling engine code for you guys

Post by Shine »

Giuliano wrote:Let me know if the link goes down. It's being hosted at megaupload. If anyone wants to mirror, go ahead.
This is really cool! I don't update my gallery, but this is an exception, I've mirrored it on my server and added it to the top of the unmaintained Lua Player gallery.

BTW: works without problems with the latest Lua Player 0.19 on my PSP.
cools

Post by cools »

When I am done with my school projects/exams, PSP eMail and SMS, and PSP Monpoly I will probably pick this project up and create something like PSPCity. ( Like the old Sim-City 2000 )
Altair

Post by Altair »

that would be really cool, cools :P. BTW how is Monopoly going?
cools

Post by cools »

It's going good, I am taking a break from it ( worked on it for like 3 months straight ). ATM I am working on a school project, but when that is done I am going to work on PSP eMail and SMS, finally I will work on PSPCity. Sometime in between I will work on fixing the bugs in Monopoly and releasing another public beta.
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

:)

Good to see my project didn't go completely to waste. Back then I had to really cache the drawing methods. I am not sure if since then LuaPlayer's blit has been made faster but back then it was quite slow when trying to draw that many images on the screen. Hope it helps someone when coding some lua games one day.