mp3?

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

the underminer

mp3?

Post by the underminer »

Hi all,
I discovered that purepwnage made a luaplayer 0.9 build that plays mp3's a while ago. I asked him on a forum if he could build that for 0.14 since my script doesn't run on his 0.9 build. He hasn't been responding though.

I started long ago on an app that lets you import playlists from iTunes and export them as m3u files wich are playable by the psp. A working version is ready, but to my horror I discovered that sony put a lot of limitations on the usage:

-must be in a direct subfolder of psp/music/
psp/music/ itself is not allowed
psp/music/madonna/ is allowed
psp/music/madonna/stairs/ is not allowed
- only one playlist in each folder, the rest is ignored
- mp3 files must be in the same folder

This makes my app quite useless, and because I felt sorry for myself I wanted to make an iTunes styled mp3 player out of it. (not very much work). Since purepwnage is not responding; can anyone tell me how to get an mp3 supporting luaplayer? (bear in mind: I haven't compiled a single program; but I think I can get Cygwin running on my windows-pc)
Behold! The Underminer got hold of a PSP
mrn

Post by mrn »

hi. there are some freely available sourcodes of mp3 de- and encoders writen in C.
I think the only thing is to compile one of them as an external library for Luaplayer.
Here is one i used some yrs ago:
http://www.mp3-converter.com/decoders/m ... review.htm
and here is the external lib. thread:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4259
ciao ragazzo!
the underminer

Post by the underminer »

It seems that they haven't got it working yet. Purepwnage somehow made it work with 0.9 (see http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?p=174304#post174304) but I have an 2.00 psp so I can't test his modded luaplayer
mrn

Post by mrn »

underminer, why do not you downgrade? you can set it back to 2.0 anytime you want..
the underminer

Post by the underminer »

Cause i'm playing Legend of Heroes(legal UMD), wich needs 2.00. The version changer doesn't work
youresam

Post by youresam »

Hey everyone, I worked with purepwnage until he updated.
Heres the deal on the MP3.
At the time he wrote .1 and .2, he had no PSP. He knew little lua. He THOUGHT it could load MP3, BMP, and JPEG. So... one day I was bored and looked at his source code, and im like.... WHAT? This is so simple, I could make a better one for him! So, I contacted him, and I made .3. The only thing I was upset about was it had gotten a bad reputation from .1 and .2, so barely anyone downloaded it (the last I saw was 32).

Anyway, when I put out .3, he said that he HAD TO be the one to release it. So, he added all this annoying text on the title screen and edited the readme to say that it supports MP3.

So... yeah. I guess I could have shortned that a little....

Point is: MP3 is copyrighted, and shine said that the copyright holder could sue the person who adds MP3 into their program without a 15,000$ permission.
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

the underminer

Post by the underminer »

So, youresam, I guess the party is over then? It doesn't support mp3 at all and, as a bonus, it's illegal too. Too bad mates! I wonder how all those freeware programs for the PC manage without being sued...

All the coding for nothing :-(
liquidjin

Post by liquidjin »

youresam wrote: Point is: MP3 is copyrighted, and shine said that the copyright holder could sue the person who adds MP3 into their program without a 15,000$ permission.
I just read the FAQ at the site Mike Haggar posted and it says the following:
www.mp3licensing.com wrote: However, no license is needed for private, non-commercial activities (e.g., home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a personal music library), not generating revenue or other consideration of any kind or for entities with associated annual gross revenue less than US$ 100 000.00.
So what do we need to get MP3 support through LUA Player? My current project requires this functionality. I'm pretty new to this so I'm unfamiliar on how to go about it doing it, but I'm willing to help.
matriculated

Post by matriculated »

So has anyone thought about liquidjin's post? Is it possible to put support for mp3's into Lua legally and without any costs?
mrn

Post by mrn »

Since FFT is slow in Lua, maybe we can build an offline MP3 decoder,
which extracts the song before playing it. Or even better:
we extract the mp3 on a PC, and copy the wav to the MS. ha?

Btw. I am working on a Lua-based audio analyser SW.
Of course, based on FFT.
cheers, m.
Shine

Post by Shine »

matriculated wrote:So has anyone thought about liquidjin's post? Is it possible to put support for mp3's into Lua legally and without any costs?
I'm not sure, there are some patents for MP3. But I would be glad if someone wants to write some code for adding Ogg/Vorbis. The format is better and there are free MP3 to Ogg converters, like the real cool Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
DiabloTerrorGF

Post by DiabloTerrorGF »

Yeag, while I don't like OGG, it's the best free compression.

And with sound taking 99.9% of the size of my game, I rather it not.
matriculated

Post by matriculated »

I wonder if Ahman IRShell's mp3 prx can be used with the new external library support.
youresam

Post by youresam »

matriculated wrote:I wonder if Ahman IRShell's mp3 prx can be used with the new external library support.
Can you even get .18 alpha running?

I get an error...