RAD tools for LP

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

KawaGeo

RAD tools for LP

Post by KawaGeo »

As for tools to build Lua scripts for LP quickly as possible, I am thinking of integrating all tools into a single Windows application. The list of tools are to be considered for the integration:

* Lua highlighting editor
* Lua debugger
* LuaPlayer simulator/emulator
* Logger
* Lua profiler
* Any other suggestions?

The first two are already written in Borland Delphi/Pascal. Very stable AFAIK (borrowed from LuMo's fav.)

The next one I would like to start. It would be written in Delphi (I am Delphi guy since Turbo Pascal 1.) Shine is working on a new DLL version for LP with C interface header. I can easily convert the header to Pascal file for the simulator. What interface functions are needed? My tentative suggestions are:

* Open a window in PSP size, returning some ID
* Optionally, "glue" some functions to LP
* Execute an opened file in a single step
* Close the window when done.
* Any other suggestions?

Need a good name for the integration. How about LuaSmith for LP or, in short, LuaSmith? I was thinking of like blacksmith or wood smith with lots of tools. Better name?

Logger would be easily implemented. It logs whatever print() is executed in a file or on the console.

Remaining tools will be discussed in a later date.

Since I am a Windows guy, I don't know if a DLL file can be used for Mac OSX or Linux. Anyone?

In the past before I joined this group, I developed some Windows application similar to Shine's Windows version. It was for Tapwave Zodiac (similar to Sony PSP but without a disc drive) but the company was no longer in business.

Regards.
Geo Massar
Retired Engineer
Koba

Post by Koba »

that, would rock. if you get that done, maybe you could make a port of it for Mac?
KawaGeo

Post by KawaGeo »

Sorry, bud. I am not a Mac user. Hope someone will.
Geo Massar
Retired Engineer
booger

Post by booger »

I would be really excited to see this implemented. Using notepad isn't that hard, but when a minor syntax bug happens, it's a bitch to track down. Especially in a large program.
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

Logger would be easily implemented. It logs whatever print() is executed in a file or on the console.
would prefer a console on the top of the screen;
what would really rock is a instant-help (i might build up the files for that)
what i mean if you have:

screen:blit(...
on the screeen and the cursor is over screeh:blit(
on the right a (subwindow) shows the help to the function
btw. the help may be in html, so its easier to build and read/style!
(as seen in phpedit, which really rocks at php development!)

greets
Lumo
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso
go2lumo.com
Zenurb

Post by Zenurb »

LuMo wrote:
would prefer a console on the top of the screen;
what would really rock is a instant-help (i might build up the files for that)
what i mean if you have:

screen:blit(...
on the screeen and the cursor is over screeh:blit(
on the right a (subwindow) shows the help to the function
btw. the help may be in html, so its easier to build and read/style!
(as seen in phpedit, which really rocks at php development!)

greets
Lumo
Most microsoft IDEs have this.

SciTE does this for PHP too, and it supports lua, I'd rather see a SciTE module than an entire new IDE.
Proud Dvorak User
US 1.5 PSP (Original)
Shine

Post by Shine »

Zenurb wrote:Most microsoft IDEs have this.

SciTE does this for PHP too, and it supports lua, I'd rather see a SciTE module than an entire new IDE.
It is not an entire new IDE, but already finished for pure Lua: http://luaedit.luaforge.net/ only the Lua Player interface and functions are missing.

I've tried LuaIDE with SciTE support (http://www.gorlice.net.pl/~rybak/luaide/), but stopped integrating of Lua Player to it, because the MFC code behind SciTE doesn't looks very clean and with the Delphi version it should be possible to compile it for Linux, too, with Kylix. I don't know, if it compiles for Mac, too, perhaps Geo knows more about this.