Guide me please

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

Barcode

Guide me please

Post by Barcode »

I'm totally new to programming and all I've done was some LOGO programming.

I'm sure I can easily "mod" a homebrew game, but I don't know how to start writing my own homebrew from scratch. Anyone mind guiding me? Just tell me what I should do to start and any references that can teach me more about how to write a program on PSP. Thanks.

-Barcode
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

i'm also new to game development (only apps before)
first what you should mind is an idea ;)
so what do you want to create?

greets
LuMo
Barcode

Post by Barcode »

I was thinking of just something basic, yet already been done. Something like The Mario Bros.

If I can learn some of the basic commands in the programming language, then I might be able to start something very very basic.
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

rofl, i am coding on mario bros right now
done:
2P. controls
very basic enemy movement
some sound

greets
LuMo
Barcode

Post by Barcode »

Well thats' nice. Might as well work on some other idea.
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

try tic tac toe, its very very basic
and there are free versions out, in C
where you can have a look on the source
further on luaplayer.org
are some really nice example scripts

greets

LuMo
Benihana

Post by Benihana »

Barcode,

Not sure how in depth LOGO programming is. Does it have classes and objects? Lua is a "scripting" language that is powerful enough to function as a full featured enviroment. If you have never programmed, it's not a bad place to start. If you are familiar with C or similar language, shuffle over to the normal PSP Dev forum. Start with the Programming in Lua, which is without question the most valuable Lua programming language reference. As well, Lua-users.org will provide you with Lua specific tutorials and mailing list. Luaplayer.org is the PSP specific site, maintained by Shine. There you will find examples such as clock and some tutorials. I recommend looking at those examples once you are comfortable with Lua. Also if you download LuaPlayer, you will find in the Documentation folder the PSP specific commands. Whew...

As far as game programming, start small and simple. Complete things, it will make you feel successful. If you start on a big project, and don't really have a defined path, you probably won't complete it. This is the reality of most game projects. Also do not expect some sort of professional quality for some time. The Pyramid Panic programmer has been making Flash games for some time, from my understanding. Mario Bro.s may seem simple... I would start with something like pong or memory. Something like checkers if you are ambitious (it has straightforeward rules). Then try Tetris. I also try to work on similar projects, so that if you want to eventually make a space shooter, you work on games that have similar concepts (no gravity or friction), whereas if you want to make a tank wars game, focus on games that will help you with trajectory and terrain.

Hope that helps?
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

Benihana i am into c a bit, but i was not able to set up the sdk successfully ;(
need a linux guru who does it *lol*
i'm a windows freak...

greets
LuMo
PS: would like to try c/c++ though
Benihana

Post by Benihana »

Great compilation of development links

You do know you will need to install Cygwin first? It's pretty simple...or rather you won't need to do much with it. It provides you with a POSIX enviroment to run the dev tools. Then follow this FAQ, and hop over to PSP SDK forum if you run into difficulties. Be WARNED, it will take a very long time to install the SDK. Hours. I did it while I was restoring my Linux build, and I was boggled since I have a decent machine.
F34R

Re: Guide me please

Post by F34R »

Barcode wrote:I'm totally new to programming and all I've done was some LOGO programming.

I'm sure I can easily "mod" a homebrew game, but I don't know how to start writing my own homebrew from scratch. Anyone mind guiding me? Just tell me what I should do to start and any references that can teach me more about how to write a program on PSP. Thanks.

-Barcode
WOW LOGO !! I havent seen anyone mention that since... forever ! I used to do LOGO in the 6th grade. Mind you, that was in 1986 ! WOW is all I can say lol.

I know its a bit off topic, but for those of you who arent old enough to know what LOGO is (god i cant believe I am old enough to say that), here is a site..
http://mckoss.com/logo/