ps2dev.org software upgrade.

Information and announcements about these forums.
Oobles
Site Admin

ps2dev.org software upgrade.

Post by Oobles »

If you've visited the main page of ps2dev.org recently, you may have noticed a very subtle change. Hyperlinks which have in the past been /kb.x?T=234 have now been updated to correct URLs. This should make it easier to find and sort through the large number of pages.

Another very important aspect is that passwords have been changed for the software. Passwords are now synchronised with the forum passwords. However, not everyone gets permission to update pages. Your forum account must be active and you must have posted a sufficient number of posts to the forums. The number of posts required may be changed as required.

So, you should all got and try and login to the main web site. If you did login, you can now help keep the site updated. The main web site is a big tree of information, which sadly is getting a bit stale. By allowing a large number of new users to modify pages, we will hopefully improve the quality of information.

Updating a page is as simple as selecting the "edit topic" link in the right hand menu of each page. Content is currently formated only using the HTML codes you enter in the text. Allowing wiki style text formating maybe supported in the near future.

If you modify the title of a topic, the URL and all its children topics/URLs will be modified. For this reason, try not to edit topic titles, as this will effect peoples bookmarks in the future. Having said that, if you think a title creates a bad URL path, now is the time to change them. As it's a new feature, URLs will not yet be book marked. URLs are cached, so after a change some child URLs may continue to be found at the old location. The cache will be updated when the correct URL is requested.

To facilitate the PSP and future PS3 interest areas, the sites menu will be changed shortly. For now, people interested in adding content to these areas can do so at http://ps2dev.org/psp and http://ps2dev.org/ps3

The software will continue to be updated based on my available time. Future changes to the software are likely to include

* Allow file attachments to any topic. Make files part of the URL.
* Modify pages to use CSS, allowing easier design changes.
eg. http://csszengarden.com/
* Allow wiki style formating in topic text
* Fix "order topic" menu action
* Make "move topic" more intuitive

If you have any other suggestions, reply here, or private message me.

David. aka Oobles.
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

The ps2dev.org software has been upgraded again. Only a few small changes.

- The menu down the left has been updated to include both PSP and PS2 sections. The PSP area is currently bare and awaiting content. PSP dev'rs, get to it. :)

- Thanks to Steve F who pointed out that some people were receiving 404 responses for URLs. I've hopefully fixed this after having an "oh shit!" moment.

- The way files are handled has also been updated. Files used to all be contained under /files. This has been changed, and files are retrieved when you select the URL of the topic. This is the start of changing the way files are stored and retrieved on the site.

More changes as they happen. If you see any problems, please let me know.

David. aka Oobles.
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

The ps2dev.org software has been upgraded. The following changes have been made:

- There is now a news topic type. These topics appear on the front page and can be added by selecting the "Submit News" link at the top of the front page. Only users who are registered and logged in will see this link. News topics are displayed with who posted the news and when the news was posted. It also displays an image associated with the news post. If you have any icons for news, please email them to me so that I can put them on the server.

- Topics can now be locked and unlocked. This is a feature from the original software (circa ~2003) which has now been re-enabled. Locked topics can not be deleted. They can also not be edited by others.

- Topics can now be deleted. This has been required for a long time. Topics are not actually deleted from the database. If you delete a topic un-internationally, then please email me so that I can fix it.

- Dreamtime's tutorials which had apostrophe's and hashes in the name now work. A number of people have commented on this problem with the last version of the software.

- How files work has changed again. The last version didn't allow you to edit or view the information with files. This has changed to allow the information to be viewed and edited.

- A lot of changes have been made under the hood. Hopefully nothing new has broken. If it has, please let me know! :)

- Maybe some other changed too. :)

David. aka Oobles.
http://www.livemedia.com.au/Blog
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

The ps2dev.org software has been upgrade. The following changes have been made:

- There is now RSS support. RSS icon is in the left menu and a link tag has been added to the headers. Firefox, etc should pick this up dynamically.

- The order topic function has been added. This is useful if you find topics are displaying in the wrong order.

- Fixed the home link in the menu. It wasn't going to the home page in the last release.

- Added a few more icons to be used in news. If you have better icon creation skills than me, please send me new icons.

- A few changes under the covers.

- I also ran my script to keep users on forums in sync with ps2dev.org users. Most people on forums should be able to use their userid/password from forums to access the main ps2dev.org web site.

The only thing left on my wish list for the site is making it use as much CSS as possible, however, it won't get done this time.

David. aka Oobles.
http://www.livemedia.com.au/Blog