Help needed decoding various files from PD's Tourist Trophy.

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

glen_drums

Help needed decoding various files from PD's Tourist Trophy.

Post by glen_drums »

Hi all.

First off, I'm completely new to this forum and the way it works, also, I'm completely new to anything programming related, so I'm in need of some support in an "idiots guide to" sort of way.

Basically, what I want to achieve at the end of all of this is to import motorcycles from Polyphony Digital's Tourist Tropy game on PS2 into Curious Lab's Poser6. I'm very aware that I will likely need to go through a long chain to get to the end result, but it has to start somewhere, and I figured it must be here as I've hunted high and low for weeks to no avail.

I guess the first step would be to open/unpack the .IRX files on the TT DVD? Just to clarify, here's a list of all the files I think are relevant on that disc:

CORE.TT
SCES_533.72
TT.VOL
IOPRP300 (IMG file)

DBCMAN.IRX
LIBPDI.IRX
MCMAN.IRX
MTAPMAN.IRX
PDICDVD.IRX
PDISTR.IRX
SIO2D.IRX
USBD.IRX
DS2U_D.IRX
LIBSD.IRX
MCSERV.IRX
PADMAN.IRX
PDISPU2.IRX
PDIUSB.IRX
SIO2MAN.IRX
USTORAGE.IRX

I'm sure most of these aren't relevant, but I wanted to post all files I was unsure of. I just need to know what to do with all this stuff and what I need, I've looked all over the place for information and only managed to find some very basic info on what the .IRX extention was, there seems to be nothing out there.

I know this will likely go into the Hall of Shame, but I ask at least to be pointed in the right direction, somebody who can help with this kind of thing?

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post, I look forward to any response.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You didn't find it here because we don't do game hacking here. This site is about writing your own stuff, not about hacking someone else's stuff. The only exception is hacking the console firmware to understand how to get homebrew to work.
glen_drums

Post by glen_drums »

Ok, I'm sorry about that. Does anyone know where I should be asking this then? Just to clarify, I'm not doing this for any bad or illegal reason, so I don't wanna be flamed for being a bad person, this is purely for my own pleasure.

Many thanks for your reply, it has been noted.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

We try not to think the worst unless someone says that they're doing so. :)

We simply don't do that sort of thing here because we want to avoid anything that might be construed the wrong way. Since the main focus here is legal homebrew, anything else that could jeopardize that is restricted.

We used to suggest people take that to psx-scene, but I don't know if they've recovered from the big hack job. You might try dcemu as well. In general, hacking games is left to the person who wants to hack the game. You do it yourself or it doesn't get done.

One thing I can say - IRX files are mostly just device drivers for the PS2. Notice the "USBD.IRX" - clearly the USB device driver. None of them will have motorcycles in them. :)

If you wish to write your own IRX files, you'll find plenty of info on that here. There are samples and real device drivers in the SDK that are IRX files. That is the sort of thing you'll find here.
jbit
Site Admin

Re: Help needed decoding various files from PD's Tourist Tro

Post by jbit »

glen_drums wrote:Hi all.I know this will likely go into the Hall of Shame
If you knew this then why did you ask?
Locked, hall of shamed... we don't do game hacking here... that also means no pointers how to game hack, etc...