Signed 1.0 Firmware

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

tazaleth

Signed 1.0 Firmware

Post by tazaleth »

It seems to me that it is ridiculous to be held back by a software restriction which wasn't in place originally. Why waste our effort hacking the psp the psp SHOULD let us run our own code as is.

There is no good reason why any of us should pay $250 for something that won't let us run our own code. I for one believe we should demand a signed 1.0 firmware install from sony.

To my understanding, the japanese and american units are physically compatible, and the 1.0 firmware could run fine if it could be transferred. All they have to do is sign and provide something they already have...

To this end, I called sony at 1-800-345-7669
option 1 is for PSP support
in the next menu, option 4 is for other psp info
within that menu, press 0 to speak with a human

I informed them I want to run the 1.0 firmware.
The support agent said there is no such thing for the american psp.
I informed him that the 1.51 firmware is identical to the japanese 1.51 firmware, and that I want to run the 1.0 firmware.
He basically knew nothing about it and refused to tell me who I could talk to about it. I asked to register a complaint. He told me to go to the website. I told him to tell me where on the website to send it. He didn't know, he was just trying to get rid of me. I asked to speak with a supervisor to register the actual complaint. He did get the supervisor for me and the supervisor did apparently do so for me. I did provide my serial # and info and did get a case #.

I am waiting to see what they respond back with. If they just say no without any explanation I suggest that ALL of us call the number and ask to speak to a supervisor and register a complaint.

They could say they are protecting their system, but the fact of the matter is anyone with a japanese system can rip any of the games, so they can't use the "our system hasn't been hacked" concept.

At this point, the only reason they wouldn't release the firmware is to keep us from doing what we want with the hardware that we rightfully paid to be able to do what we want with.
steddy

Post by steddy »

Oh the naivety of youth :)

You are in the right morally and probably even legally in most countries.

Unfortunately Sony has more money than you and the law answers to he with the most money. The suits shall inherit the earth.

Steddy
tazaleth

Post by tazaleth »

It is a better use of energy. None of you have the skill to extract the 1.5 firmware and decompile it, so you are just wasting your time imho till someone who is skilled does hack it.

I don't care how much money they have; if they are given a good reason to do so, I see no reason they won't give us what we want.

I would say that several thousand people refusing to buy sony products would be a good reason. I see no reason we couldn't get that many people on board.

Post by Guest »

Neither exploit nor development nor software related, and hardly suitable for "general".

Given that it amounts to making rants and demands directly to Sony, it is at best "off-topic", and hovering close to "hall of shame".

The description of jumping on Sony support folx who will never be in a position to give what is demanded reflects a rather disappointing approach.

While we all certainly prefer more access to the console(s), there are appropriate ways of dealing with whatever situations are dealt.
tazaleth

Post by tazaleth »

Your attitude is the sort of things that makes me want to never share knowledge or information with any of humankind.

It is certainly explot related, for it is in regard to the *exploited* 1.0 firmware.

It is software related, because having it would let us run our own homebrew.

In YOUR OPINION it is "hardly suitable" because you have a rather closeminded view of what you want people to read. You are moving it to offtopic so the normal readers who don't check off-topic won't see it.

Rants? I was actually pretty polite.

Demands? Why shouldn't we demand what we paid for?

Hall of shame? Maybe your post deserves to go there.

Disappointing approach? It is more meaningful then what the rest of you are using your time doing.

Appropriate? *bleep* appropriate. If you want appropriate; go back to playing only what they sell you and never developing anything on your own.

As a hacker, it is insulting to hear someone say it is "inappropriate" to ASK for what we want, rather than STEAL it by CRACKING their protection. I am merely asking for what we deserve to have.

Post by Guest »

No good will come of this either. Locked.

Sorry, but none of us deserve anything from Sony, or anyone else for that matter, except whatever rights are granted to us under law. To pretend otherwise is both arrogant and unproductive.