Official Dev Kit and Unencrypted code

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

Raoul

Official Dev Kit and Unencrypted code

Post by Raoul »

Hi

Just a statement, the official dev kit are supposed to run unencrypted code as far as I can understand. But Sony has also to provide firmware update for game developpers in order to keep their future release compatible. So if they provide the same firmware (considering that it is encrypted) as the one for the retail psp, maybe there is in fact a way to run unencrypted code on 1.x.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is an idea, as far as I can tell that Sony will not give 'even' to game dev unencrypted firmware.
laichung

Re: Official Dev Kit and Unencrypted code

Post by laichung »

I remembered that some developer said that before, the PSP you see in the PSP DEV Kit is just a clone. The main cpu and other important parts of PSP is run at the main console (it just like a PSP controller), that's why the DEV need to have it own UMD driver.

So I think noone have the firmware can run unencrypted code except sony , right?
Raoul wrote:Hi

Just a statement, the official dev kit are supposed to run unencrypted code as far as I can understand. But Sony has also to provide firmware update for game developpers in order to keep their future release compatible. So if they provide the same firmware (considering that it is encrypted) as the one for the retail psp, maybe there is in fact a way to run unencrypted code on 1.x.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is an idea, as far as I can tell that Sony will not give 'even' to game dev unencrypted firmware.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

What was the point of this post? Don't post what's been reiterated here a million times before.