No OtherOS on PS3 Slim!

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

mooriel

No OtherOS on PS3 Slim!

Post by mooriel »

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playsta ... id=3914088

http://forums.n4g.com/Firmware-280-Rele ... 67-p5.aspx
Hey guys do you remember Super_Secret, the guy that predicted about 2.80 and was dead on. Well he made his dead last post and it contains tons of info regarding the PS3 Slim, PSP 4000(not the PSP Go) and FW update 3.00:

It is real. It is a PS3 that's been cut down as much as physically possible without preventing the loss of playback of any existing PS3 title out there. It still has blu-ray, it still has wireless, it still has bluetooth and it still has gigabit ethernet.
"OtherOS" support has been removed.
You still get 2 USB ports.
Hard drive sizes will be bigger, it will come in 120Gb and 250Gb flavours. It's still replaceable and will actually be slightly easier as it has been relocated to the front of the console.
It will NOT have any "new" features, such as backwards compatibility or enhanced peripheral support. It's just a PS3, but slightly smaller and cheaper.
The power supply is still internal, but a different power cable will be used.
Rear ports are still the same: 1x HDMI, 1x Sony AV port, 1x Optical, 1x Ethernet. And of course a power port.
Release date and official announcement are not final.
Price is undetermined, but make no mistake, this is a "slimmed" PS3 in ever sense of the word. It's as cheap as can possibly be, so expect it to launch with a smaller price tag than what you're paying now in your respective territories.
Internally, several daughter boards have been removed, but all functionality is still there. This is due to a more advanced manufacturing process. It still uses a few extra boards, though, we're not quite at PSTwo levels yet.
A Cheaper Blu-ray drive is being used. It wont be any slower, but expect to see similar issues that another competitor had a while ago.
Touch-sensitive buttons on the front for power/eject are gone in favour of cheaper push buttons.
It has a slightly different startup screen. Only slightly.
It's about 50% smaller than current PS3s.
It wont be called the "PS3 Slim". The PS1 "slim" and the PS2 "slim" were never officially called the "slim", either.
Last edited by mooriel on Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

So one dude knew about a firmware update and was right, so suddenly he's some sort oracle for all things Sony? I imagine details of a FW update has been relatively fixed for some time, allowing for testing, making details available to studios prior to release, etc. Im sure there are many people who knew this but not necessarily about the slim. I don't think it really proves as much for his 'insideness' as its claimed.

But hey, for all I know he was the chief architect for the thing.. I'm just some random guy on a webforum :)

But say we give the benefit of the doubt .. what costs would sony save by snipping otherOS? The best I can come up with is a handful of flash, where you stick otheros.bld into. What else? The rest is software that exists already so what benefit is there to removing it?

[note: your link doesn't seem to be a permalink, it doesnt seem to work for anyone but your account, so I cant comment on that thread, but I did see the original posting by that supersecret dude a few days ago]

If anything, it reduces the pool of people tinkering with Cell to those with the crazy expensive blades or PCI cards, effectively shutting off the bottom end of the developer pipeline.

So take my 2c, and add it to the rest of the speculation, only time will tell for sure.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
mooriel

Post by mooriel »

cheriff wrote:But say we give the benefit of the doubt .. what costs would sony save by snipping otherOS? The best I can come up with is a handful of flash, where you stick otheros.bld into. What else? The rest is software that exists already so what benefit is there to removing it?
I think Sony hates us.
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Kutagari wanted to make a super computer, and a super console at the same time. Original PS3 was his dream.

Later, highest staff really got pissed off because of slow results on market, after PS3 launch, because of its complexity and high production cost & thus high price. Consequence was the removal of Kutagari from main responsibilites at Sony. He now prepares a PS3 game based on Evangelion, in a Sony 1st party partner software company (I think)...

So the PS3 slim is a logical step to put back main Sony console product upon 'classic' rails : cheap to make, and focused on games sales.
I completely buy the 'OtherOS' removal prediction. You would do the same if you were following their same current logic.

Of course they are betting that their security will keep hackers away...
(Dangerous bet... that Kuraragi didn't want to do. He wisely traded OtherOS gift against console safety)

Wait & See...
(and keep that fw 2.01 original PS3 locked up in cupboard!
It will become rarer and much more precious over time!)
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

STOP FUCKING SPECULATING. People use these forums for reference, not for wild speculation.
If the guy really does have access to the PS3 slim, he himself said it's "not finished" and still a prototype, so just because it lacks OtherOS in its firmware right now doesn't mean it will in the future.
Therefor regardless of if the guy is legitimate or not, it is still speculation.