Problems Editing Persona 4 Audio....

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

walterdavid

Problems Editing Persona 4 Audio....

Post by walterdavid »

I dont know if this is the right section but...

Hey everyone.
Well its common sense that persona 4 music sucks bad.
So i decided to change only 2 songs of the game.

The big file its a regular bgm.cvm file which i easily extract with xpert2 tool.
Then inside i find the ADX audio files numbered 1 to 115.adx. Plus there are 2 more ADX files: DUMMY.ADX AND THEME.ADX.

Well using DKZ player i find out that the music that i want to change is 01.adx and 20.adx.
I could use DKZ to open and save the cvm file but DKZ can't rebuild the cvm unless the file i'm replacing has less kb than the original and that doesnt help me at all. 01.adx has 2,5 mb aprox. and 20.adx 8.5 aprox.
The files i want to import are 6 and 10 mb respectively.

Ok, i cant use DKZ. So i use xpert2 with the czm plugin. And it extracts the lba than the file normally. With the xpert2 still open i take my new 1 and 20.adx and go the @BGM.CVM folder generated by xpert2 and replace. So i rebuild the czm and lba.
It generates NEW BGM.CZM file. So i go to UltraIso and burn as a regular ps2 disc.

The results were:
- The game has issues to be read... Reset is needed sometimes.
- After the game begins i notice that all songs in game are not playin. The only song in the entire game playin is my 01.adx which simply stops after 1.32, 34 sec aprox. Which i found out that is the lenght of the original 01.adx.
Also all game effects sound are normally.

So my question is...
What am i doing wrong????
I dont think its is the size of my new files.
Could it be my UltraIso image creatng process?
Cause my HD only had 1.1 gb left. Also i renamed the main disc.
So i havent created and image at all, what i did is File...New...Ps2 DVD Disc... Opened system.cnf... UltraIso automatically added the rest of the files. Then i just clicked burn without creating the image.
I dont think this is wrong either since the game played after some reboots. But anyways you never know...

Please answer clearly cause im a newbie.
I wrote in details so there is no doubt in my case but anything else just ask biggrin
Also if someone could write a quick guide since the beginning it would be nice.

OBS: I used DKZ Studio ADX converter. I dont know how loop works so i just set final loop so the music starts from the very beginning after it ends.
OBS: Also if someone give me a direction on how to deal with looping (and a working App) cause ive searched and searched and found nothing.

Thanks in advance and great forum this one
Walter David
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

We don't really do game editing here, unless it's in an effort to further understand system libraries that would be useful in homebrew. Replacing music is certainly not something we do here. PS2Scene might be better for something like that.

I will say this, though: it's possible that the music in the game is hardcoded. Changing the music such that you change the size compared to the original songs may cause the game to not find or play the tracks as it expects them to be a certain length at a certain place in the file. Depends on how the game was programmed. Do a test - replace the songs you want with other songs exactly the same size and see if it works. If it does, that's your problem right there.