Addresses of GS privileged registers

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

aap

Addresses of GS privileged registers

Post by aap »

Hi there,
I'm new to ps2dev and while reading some source code I found that the addresses of the GS privileged registers are something like 0x120000XX, so far so good. Then I got me the docs of the PS2 GNU/Linux kit and there it says the address for (as an example) BUSDIR is 0x44 instead of 0x12001040, which I've found everywhere else.
Where do I find the *real* address in the docs? Not that I wouldn't trust you guys but I'd really like to find the correct address of each register in the official information. I think there has to be made some kind of conversion of the values...like 'address of reg' * 16 + 0x12000000 or something similar...it works for the first few registers, but the ones that have an address starting with 0x4 can't be converted this way...

Thanks for any help :)
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

EE User's Manual, "GS Privileged Registers"
aap

Post by aap »

Doesn't say anything about addresses, does it?
Only some sentences about that privileged registers are mapped to the EE memory space, but I knew that before. I want to find the addresses of these registers as I explained above. It's probably only some sort of calculation, but I can't figure out how I get from, say, 0x48 (which is the value given by the manual) to 0x12001080 (which is the actual address).
Lukasz

Post by Lukasz »

You are looking in the wrong manual, the values you are refering to are in the GS User's Manual.

Like jbit writes, in the EE User's Manual there is a memory map / register map section, where the GS privileged registers are also listed.
aap

Post by aap »

The only thing I found is that th GS registers are mapped to memory starting at x12000000, that was in the EE Overview by the way. It said nothing about the addresses of any registers, that's only the case in the GS User's manual.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

... EE User's Manual Version 5.0, page 26, section 2.2.3. GS Privileged Registers... under the sub heading "Register Map" under the heading "Memory Map / Register Map"

I admit that sometimes finding what you want in the PS2 manuals is tricky, but at least try looking....
aap

Post by aap »

So that's why I couldn't find it. I have version 3.1 and in that version page 26 is blank. I'll probably have to find a newer version.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

There's no way you can have version 3.1 of the docs legally... hall of shamed