Accessing PS3 Hard Drive (Downloadable content) using PC.

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

brayman84

Accessing PS3 Hard Drive (Downloadable content) using PC.

Post by brayman84 »

Hi Guys, So basically i've downloaded a skin for a game called littlebigplanet from the japenese playstation network because it's not available on the North American Playstation network. The downloaded content however isn't compatible with my u.s game. I'm considering connecting my ps3's hard drive to my pc and see if i can access that content and switch the japenese region with my u.s contents region. Is there anybody here that has any experience with accessing the Playstation 3's root Hard drive files with a PC? Is there any help anybody thinks they can give me with this project? I figure that If theres a way we can access different game's downloadable content with a pc, this will allow many gamers to hand out their downloadable content on the net to others that cant get it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

We don't do that kind of thing here. You might try ps3hacks or a similar site.
Rex_VF5

Post by Rex_VF5 »

The HD is encrypted so you won't see a thing. So far all attempts to "hack" into it failed... That's the power of cryptography. So basically you're out of luck. You may try some of the proxy methods to fool PS3 that you're downloading something for your region...
brayman84

Post by brayman84 »

thank for the response, I now know that the hdd is encrypted. I had no problem downloading the content, the problem was getting the foreign downloadable content working with the u.s version of the game which wont work unless somebody breaks through the barrier and decrypts the hdd's code. :(
Rex_VF5

Post by Rex_VF5 »

"Breaking through barrier" is not that easy. If they used AES there is (currently) no way to brute-force it (would take more years then you're going to live) and there is no known crypto-attack. So either some weakness is found or someone leaks the private keys or some hackers find some hole to get the private keys...