Reverse Enginnering Program?

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

Dariusc123456

Reverse Enginnering Program?

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Now before anyone cuss me out, and or lock this thread, what program is best recommended to use to reverse enginner a psp program? I have one call Cain And Abel, but it dont work for me to use in my research. All it does is get passwords, etc. Prx Tool only output nids and command. I need the source code from the file. Thanks to anyone who help me.
a_noob

Post by a_noob »

As you said, prxtool. It will give you the ASM of an unencrypted prx. C or C++ code is up to your interpretation of the ASM.

Code: Select all

.øOº'ºOø.
'ºOo.oOº'
hlide

Post by hlide »

if you mean a C decompiler, I didn't hear there is actually one for PSP.
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

IN my opinion, the cool part from reverse engineering is remaking the source code yourself by looking into ASM code.
It may be only me but that's what I think.
So, PRX tool.
Upgrade your PSP
ne0h

Post by ne0h »

hlide, I've never hear about a C decompiler... O.O
Pirata Nervo

Post by Pirata Nervo »

Upgrade your PSP
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

So for example, say that I want reverse the ipl from a firmware, what program would I use then? .... The truth is that im trying to reverse enginnering a psp game and I Havent found a program todo so yet
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

I don't know of any decompiler for the allegrex as of yet, and I highly doubt there exists one, as it is a cumbersome thing to do. Lots of special cases and idioms that would have to be translated into high level language...
So your only choice is as A_Nub already stated. Use PRXTool and disassemble the executable and go at reversing the assembly to C manually.
And unless you are fluent in mips assembly, you can immediately forget about that and judging by your posts, that seems the case.
Dariusc123456 wrote:So for example, say that I want reverse the ipl from a firmware, what program would I use then? .... The truth is that im trying to reverse enginnering a psp game and I Havent found a program todo so yet
I assume "psp game" means an official game, rather than a homebrew. In that case, much luck with spending some years of your lifetime on reversing the assembly, even if you were fluent in mips assembler.

EDIT: After finding out what "Cain and Abel" actually is and seeing how the OP brought it into context with reverse engineering, I'd say this thread is actually a case for the beloved hall of shame.
<Don't push the river, it flows.>
http://wordpress.fx-world.org - my devblog
http://wiki.fx-world.org - VFPU documentation wiki

Alexander Berl
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

If you have what it takes to reverse engineer something you wouldn't be on a forum asking how to do it.
Reverse engineering requires dedication, hard work and LOTS AND LOTS of personal research. There is no magic recipe for it, every reverse engineering project is different, most breakthroughs in reverse engineering are made due to personal experience or just luck.
Usually you are reverse engineering something because people don't know what it does, if people don't know what it does it either means it's hard to figure out, people don't want to share or nobody cares. So really asking doesn't get you very far...

Also, we do not discuss game hacking here, it's completely off topic for this forum.