HELP! A complete valid pinout for the psp slim remote

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jube

HELP! A complete valid pinout for the psp slim remote

Post by jube »

Help, have read all the threads ( i believe ! ) but cant find a definative pinout of the psp slim remote connector, i think i have tx/rx sorted but there seems debate on dgnd, and any data on the functions of the other pins used in the remote would be of great benefit. The phat connector/functions are documented extensivly do they apply to the slim? ( not pin location obviously )
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I posted what I found on my component cable in another thread. Combine that with the serial lines, then remember there is just the microphone input left, and that should cover the connections.
jube

Post by jube »

yep followed that thread closly unfortunatly
pin 9 is you have as 40~k to gnd, nightstar has it as dng gnd?, densiki's page on gps hook-up has it as pin 3,
On my prelim tests seems pin9 as gnd gives accurate voltages on other pins, am going to scope it all up, just hopeing someone had already done it.
Your comp cable is direct links to pins?, on my cabe there is box with some circuit between jacks and pins, no direct ( o ohm ) link between video outputs and jacks
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jube wrote:yep followed that thread closly unfortunatly
pin 9 is you have as 40~k to gnd, nightstar has it as dng gnd?, densiki's page on gps hook-up has it as pin 3,
On my prelim tests seems pin9 as gnd gives accurate voltages on other pins, am going to scope it all up, just hopeing someone had already done it.
Your comp cable is direct links to pins?, on my cabe there is box with some circuit between jacks and pins, no direct ( o ohm ) link between video outputs and jacks
I just measured from the RCA plugs to the edge connector with an ohm meter. If there's anything inside the hood of the connector, it would have to be tiny... it's not any bigger than the connector used by the remote. They might have a filter on the ground pin, but that would be about the most I'd expect given the dimensions of everything associated with the cable.
jube

Post by jube »

Thanks for that, no wont be anything under the hood, my cable has a huge box that the phono's are split off from and the main cable enters, prob something in there.
Well that means some of the pins are shared between the remote circuit and tv out circuit, if they scope out not to be gnd's then we have function swiching going on, also caught a thread which stated a sce function to detect av cable type, which prob has something to do with this.
Your Vgnd's measured from phono gnd/screen conductor to pins?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jube wrote:Thanks for that, no wont be anything under the hood, my cable has a huge box that the phono's are split off from and the main cable enters, prob something in there.
Well that means some of the pins are shared between the remote circuit and tv out circuit, if they scope out not to be gnd's then we have function swiching going on, also caught a thread which stated a sce function to detect av cable type, which prob has something to do with this.
Your Vgnd's measured from phono gnd/screen conductor to pins?
Yes, I measured directly from the phono plugs to the pins on the connector - without the PSP involved at all. Just measuring the cable alone. So if there is a measurable resistance, and there was on one line, it HAS to be a passive device in the cable somewhere. My guess is that it's used in detecting the type of cable, or just a filter as I mentioned before.
jube

Post by jube »

Well after much research i can confirm the following pi-out for a PSP SLIM remote connector
1 2 3 4 5 6
o

7 8 9 10 11 12

LOOKING AT THE PSP REMOTE PLUG FROM THE TOP, REMOVED FROM PSP,

1) rx
2) +vs ( this behaves as a psp phat, ie see all other threads for sce remote device power behaviour )
3) Cable detect input ( 42k to gnd= component cable present )
4) remote detect line ( cts )
5) Pb
6) Agnd
7) Mic input
8) Tx
9) Dgnd ( Agnd in Comp Cable mode )
10 ) Y
11) Agnd
12) Pr

Have confirmed the remot pins cos have stable comms to the psp from a pc.

Note some comp cables have dc blocking caps on the component lines so prvent buzzing through, but ripped mine appart to check !!, all have the 42k to earth to signal their presence
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Nice work pulling it all together and verifying it. :)
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Nice work. Thanks Jube.
jube

Post by jube »

No worries !!
But wont be taking any bows yet though :)
Have just got my proof of concept psp touch screen working today, it dont look much ( a 6" 4 wire resistive screen just taped onto front !! ) but hey its proof of concept !!
If im not back to work soon will have the proto 1 working when the 1.8v micro turns up!!
Ps2Dev is the premiere psp software dev site in the world, full of the most helpfull and darnright nice people about, i would like to help make it the premiere psp hardware dev site aswell to that end have 3 projects deving which will only be posting details of on this site ( prob restrict code and circuit diagrams to people who PM me? what do you think ? )

1) Fully inegrated touch screen ( on its way, no real forseeable stubling blocks, except maybe resistive touch screen overlays are not totally transparent, it def takes some of the edge of that georgeous screen !! The other touchscreen technologies capacitive,saw etc are VERY complex and bit expensive so hey, might have to go back to design and use a clearer screen overlay, well F**CK am perfectionist so who am i kidding will implement a saw if it kills me, will keep resistive design as baseline and to develop the psp code )

2) Fully integrated GSM mobile phone, unfortunatly reqires removing umd for space, so not sure will continue with this :)

3) Memory expansion ( not at all firm on the spec of this one, and not firm on feasability either !! , power is the big one here !!!!, even a SSD is going to EAT the battery )
DudeeBalls

Corresponding DB9 Serial Pinouts

Post by DudeeBalls »

Could you please tell me which pins from the PSP Slim would correspond to which of the DB9 Serial port specifically which would be the RTS pin. I'm using a RS232 to TTL/CMOS converter with a 3.6v Li-On Battery as it's power source since the PSP Slim can't seem to sustain it's voltage level when used as a power source (drops from 2.89 to 1.30 volts on the PSP's side and nothing on the other side of the RS232 converter). I plan on using it in conjunction with a PS/2 to Serial Mouse Adapter but since the shifter doesn't do the RTS like the adapter requires I plan to bypass the shifter and connect the RTS from the PSP directly to the serials ports RTS pin. I'm assuming that the RS232 to TTL/CMOS converter that I bought is comparable to the PSP Remote. Is that a correct assumption? BTW after some testing I've found that the RS232 Converter multiplies voltage by 1.91.
The Phone is Ringing I Cannot Linger. Watch Out Butt Here Comes my Finger.
J.F.

Re: Corresponding DB9 Serial Pinouts

Post by J.F. »

DudeeBalls wrote:Could you please tell me which pins from the PSP Slim would correspond to which of the DB9 Serial port specifically which would be the RTS pin.
It's on pin 15. >.>

Did you look at Jube's post above? Do you SEE a pin labeled RTS? Do you see a pin that's not labeled at all? Does that not suggest something?
DudeeBalls

Post by DudeeBalls »

I was hoping one of those pins with a PSP based name/label was a RTS pin. I might walk the walk but I certainly don't talk the talk. My Knowledge is very deep in some specific topics and nill in others. I'm an unschooler for life and I learn by trial and error. So in other words I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. Would connecting a Serial to USB adapter onto the end of my serial shifter work? Then maybe I could just go ahead and plug in either a USB Keyboard or a PS/2 keyboard with a PS/2 to USB adapter.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

That's nice looking. :)

Unfortunately, all you get for serial is the RxD and TxD. Some folks have even thought of taking over the audio out and mic in for IO on the port since the serial is so limited.
DudeeBalls

Post by DudeeBalls »

I call it the DragonFly. What applications would it have then? As far as peripherals that is.
Art

Post by Art »

What's the Dragonfly?.. that end connector?

If you've converted the levels to proper RS232 with transistors or a maxim chip which it looks like you have (otherwise why the battery?), you can talk
serial to just about anything.

My Garmin handhelds wanted proper RS232 levels, barcode scanner, serial printer, desktop PC of course,....
If not actually, then potentially.
DudeeBalls

Post by DudeeBalls »

It's design kind of resemble a DragonFly in person or a plane or some kind of bug anyway. I have a RS232 to TTL/CMOS converter inside. It takes the RxD and TxD from the PSP and the power from the battery (3.6 Volts that it multiplies by 1.91). I was thinking that it might be enough to use in conjunction with a Serial to USB adapter or maybe even a Serial IRDA adapter although I know that's probably hoping for to much since there'd be the firmware limitations.
Art

Post by Art »

Didn't know there was a serial to USB adapter,
I only know about the other way round for laptop PCs.
What's the point? The serial port would be a severe bottleneck.
DudeeBalls

Post by DudeeBalls »

The point being that you could then use a usb keyboard even though you can't use a PS/2 keyboard with a PS/2 to Serial adapter because no RTS.
Art

Post by Art »

PS2 keyboard is synchronous serial with a clock, with no RTS/CTS.
Seems like the long way around since a USB keyboard would probably
provide a synchronous serial output behind the USB chip,
so you convert serial to USB and back again.

Maybe that's where JF was talking about hijacking the audio input would be
handy to produce a clock line, and writing one's own serial driver.
DudeeBalls

Post by DudeeBalls »

I only thought it needed RTS cause that's what it says here about the PS/2 to Serial adapter I bought. I don't program so I couldn't write my own driver. Do you think there's any chance that a person with my skill level and equipment could pull off some kind of keyboard set up with my slim? I just want to get a keyboard hooked up to the PSP's remote port and then use pikey in Serial mode.
Art

Post by Art »

I can't say what someone is able to do or not,
but the "Open Keyboard Project" posted here by jean
(based on XBox chatpad) would be much easier to do than this,
since the pic code is provided.
DudeeBalls

And Bingo was his name Oh

Post by DudeeBalls »

In my attempt to use a USB peripheral on the psp no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to work and then I finally realized what I was doing wrong. I was using a Serial to USB converter but that is meant to be used with a computer being the USB host and the serial being the peripheral's side. Therefore there would obviously be no USB host built in to the converter nor would it be doing any serial to USB power conversion or even any power throughput. This should have been more apparent to me when you take the No MOD PSP Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick into account. I can't believe I hadn't realized this sooner. So I guess the issue here is to achieve something like what the No Mod PSP Keyboard guy did but make it more portable and ideally powered via the psp's serial power out with some kind of voltage pump like in my serial shifter. One way to achieve this would be to use a USB to Serial converter (with built in USB host for use with USB peripherals on a computer that only has a serial port) in conjunction with my shifter but since no manufacture that I know of prepared for the unlikely event in which someone would travel back in time with their USB based peripherals and need to sync it on a serial-only computer I doubt that's gonna happen. So I came up with a potential second option: FTDI's VDIP1 (USB Host to UART) prototype module. I don't quite fully understand the datasheet but it appears to be quite close if not exactly like my serial shifter except with a USB host end to UART instead of DB9. As far as voltage is concerned it refers to the 5v in the following manner "This pin provides the 5.0V output on the USB 'A' type socket, and also the 3.3V supply to VNC1L, via an on-board 3.3 V L.D.O." and the 3.3V "3.3V output from VDIP1's on-board 3.3V L.D.O.". I don't know what L.D.O means and I don't quite understand it power in/out descriptions. I'm hoping that it takes 3.3v (or 2.5v in the psp's case) just like the serial shifter and pumps it up to 5v. The thing that makes me think that is that if USB port is the host then the the serial port would most likely not be therefore the power would be coming from the serial direction and towards the USB direction to power whatever it may be hosting but I'm pretty sure that's not it though I could always use one of my high powered batteries to power the USB port. Either way if it works it would still be a super portable version of that No Mod Keyboard thing. USB host on one side and UART on the other I hope I'm on to something here maybe a USB version of the PSP Remote. If this item I found isn't quite right I guess I'll have to continue the search for either a UART to USB Host adapter or a USB Host to Serial adapter for the end of my shifter. I was thinking worst case if I can't find anything remotely near what I need I could dismantle a USB hub (USB hub's have a USB host circuit card inside them) and use it inline between my Serial to USB adapter and whatever peripheral I'm using at the time and of coarse I'd reroute the power there as well.
jean

Post by jean »

Just one word:
<<
Price: $40.07
>>
...and you'll end with an expensive serial port (with still a few hundreds of Kb/s transfer rate and a whole world of protocol stacks to be rewritten on PSP side).
DudeeBalls

Post by DudeeBalls »

I found a site that sells 6 of them for that price and I was thinking we could use it with keyboard and mouse with whatever software that the No Mod Keyboard guy used. BTW I bought a PICKit 2 and a xBox 360 Chatpad. The Programmer should arrive on Wednesday.
DudeeBalls

USB Host to UART

Post by DudeeBalls »

Perhaps the VDRIVE1 (I found it for $25) would be a better option in my search for an affordable/portable alternative to the No MOD PSP Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick. As far as having to write the programming for this little project I specifically picked a way of doing it that closely follows the same protocols as the other guys project so I wouldn't have to write my own code (not that I'm lazy I just don't know how to program). And in regards to your concern over low transfer speeds it won't be a problem since I only plan on using this device for a keyboard, mouse and maybe a joystick too although I doubt it. If that won't work I could always use a MODULE USB - SRL 3.3V TTL CONV ($15) in conjunction with a small usb host card (or use a card from inside a usb hub for it's host functionality though that might cause other complications) and if it doesn't carry over and boost the voltage with a voltage pump like with a serial shifter I could always use a 9V battery with a small regulator or zener diode and then stack all the parts together in a small enclosure with openings for the ports. Even if I had to use all of those parts together it would still work out to around the same size as the PSP Remote except it would provide the psp with a usb host port which kinda makes me wonder why the PSP Remote guy didn't go in the USB direction. The PSP Remote article is kinda old maybe they didn't have all these USB TTL converters back when he wrote it although considering my lack of knowledge on the subject perhaps I'm the one who's "missing something" here ;).
DudeeBalls

Post by DudeeBalls »

I got it working. I had the rx cable connected wrong. I feel like such an idiot. Thanx everyone.

PS
I wrote this when I was really sick and it was meant for the OpenKeyboard Project Thread.
fswolf

Ground Wire on the psp slim remote

Post by fswolf »

Hi

Iv tracked down the wires i need to connect to my xbox chat pad :?
the color code is
Orange - +v
Brown - RX
yellow - TX

But i cant find where the ground wire is :?

Can some one please enlighten me
fswolf

mm New Problem

Post by fswolf »

ok After Talking with a friend we figuer the ground was
the exposed wire runing though the middle of the cable cluster :P

So
Hook it all up. Run SIOTest.
NOTHING :(

When i plug in the keyboard i get
1280 Received

Nothing else ...
n0ukf

Post by n0ukf »

What pins are used for composite and s-video signal?