Open Keyboard Project

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jean

Post by jean »

I'm busy but i never forgot you guys!! Hope i manage to do something new as soon as possible. Anyway, folklord904 there are all the wiring info you need in the three zips linked here a couple of posts above.
PS: the keyboard in the video you posted is NOT chatpad but another (impossible to find) serial keyboard (for an old ericsson mobile device if i'm not wrong)
folklord904

Post by folklord904 »

i thought that keyboard was an old palm seiral keyboard i found it with google before. but with current configuration will this work in games and xmb and sony text entry thing like in the video?

and my mouse is an actual pc mouse modifyed that has a cord you plug into a custom female usb port no the psp and i think will be cool if we can get it to switch between xmb mode and 1st person shooter. maybe a switch by the usb port to switch between the 2 modes if we cant get it to work with software that automaticly switches it.

i have a chat pad and every thing to wire it and hopefully today i can get a homade pic programmer put togeather and flash the chat pad

so with current software is chat pad a complete text entry device can it work in sony text entry and can it work in xmb and games?
werejag

Post by werejag »

i was looking for a more non "modify your psp solution" i knew of the acidmod site with similar mods
folklord904

Post by folklord904 »

http://pic16f84.hit.bg/ will this jdm programmer work i chose it because it only has like 5 parts but that makes me skeptical if it will work hopefully i can get all these parts at radio shack as i plan to flash keyboard today ant tips on flashing the keyboard?

also in the diagram for this programmer there is like a line with a triangle pointing down between vdd and vss going to the ground and to txd what is that the power supply? and id like the simplest pic programmer to do this mod with any suggestions
werejag

Post by werejag »

the 5.6 triangle thing is a zener diode with cutoff voltage of 5.6v
folklord904

Post by folklord904 »

dang i just bought all parts and am wireing right now i need a zener diode that cuts off at 5.6v ok i really hope they have that at radio shack cus if they go i built the whole thing with radio shack parts and if it works to program the pic then 5 bucks can build the programmer u need for this mod witch total cost isnt bad at all. dang guess i cant flash till tomarrow

and jean dose the zip with the wireing diagram in it also have the most up to date firmware to flash to chat pad and i f posible can u give me a quick how to on the flash in if im useing the programer i posted above i wire the points indacated in yellow use winpic to flash and configure like the text you posted on 1st page and i flash the text in the openkeyboard zip that says firmware. is that right?

and last question the only wire diagram i am missing is chat pad to psp i know the pin out for interface on chat pad but how do i wire to the psp with the mic input my first pic shows?

and thanks for your help guys i really need the keyboard working for my mod. if i can help in any way ask and ill have my programers look at it and see if we can work out the last litle bugs. thank you for your hard work to get this far
werejag

Post by werejag »

hey jean you busy on this still?
Abein

I've been looking

Post by Abein »

I (and a very helpful friend) have looked for solutions to use the chat pad connected to a wireless 360 controller. Nobody seems to have gone anywhere with it other than a solution I found in which I have to spend 100 dollars to join XNA creators club.

Anyhow, any word on flashing the chat pad for use with the PC through a wireless 360 controller? I know I'm a bit out of place posting in the ps dev forums, but you're literally the only guy we could find who looked like he knew his shit.

Please do get back to me if you can.
Blacokut

Post by Blacokut »

I too really need to be able to use the chatpad connected to the controller on a PC. Do you have any information on this at all? Nobody else seems to be doing much and Microsoft might never do it, or not for a long time . . I know it's out of place, but there's nowhere else I've found either.
jean

Post by jean »

As you can see from the whole post i worked quite to figure out chatpad's protocol, then i had enough of microsoft's "i like to take a standard, modify it and claim it as a new standard" and then i brutally reflashed this lovely little keyboard. I posted my solution to a carputers lovers' site but i was ignored. So i know _nothing_ of making chatpad work WITHOUT my firmware replacement. With it, you can still use it with a pc as a ps2 keyboard (maybe coming in next release if some interest is shown) or as it is by now by a max232 serial connection. I don't own an xBox, so i don't have a pad (and i wouldn't care about having the smallest keyboard ever connected throug a titanic-size pad, too). That's all folks.
Blacokut

Post by Blacokut »

I personally don't mind using it unattached to the controller, as a ps2 keyboard . . but I'm not sure about replacing the firmware right now . . anyway thanks for letting me know.
jean

Post by jean »

I personally don't mind using it unattached to the controller, as a ps2 keyboard . .
Ok...don't expect me to work to the pad version.
but I'm not sure about replacing the firmware right now .
Be sure you understand that once reflashed the chatpad CANNOT BE USED WITH XBox AGAIN.
have fun
l0rdnic0

Post by l0rdnic0 »

Well I hate to bump this topic, but I have sent a PM to Jean and am waiting for some feedback from him. However dare I say that I’m anxious? See I have a chat pad and I have programmed it using my Epic Programmer, but after connecting the Pwr, Ground, TX and RX to the remote and installing piKey on my PSP I still can’t get it to work. So I wanted to check to see if anyone else has ever made one of these and can give me some pointers.

BTW I Programed using the HEX file that was included in the .03 zip that Jean posted.
Inspire someone in a positive way today?
jean

Post by jean »

oh...i didn't mention this: if you're using my version of pikey, you must set chatpad's baudrate to 4800 because i still have problems setting baudrate in vsh plugins and 4800 is default...maybe you have to mess up a little with eeprom values...if you can't succeed in setting cp's baudrate, ask here again and i will provide examples and howtos....
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I still need to order a Slim connector and reflash my chatpad... been too busy on other things to do that yet.
jean

Post by jean »

Sorry if i profit of this forum to ask a favour, but... due to some people whose head is full of shit, i no longer own a site.... if someone can publish some small sourcecode and schematics of mine for chatpad's project until i get some other web space, it would be great....
l0rdnic0

Post by l0rdnic0 »

As I typed to you in a PM, I can host the files that you were talking about so that this project can grow. I will post my sucess and failures along the way to. I already have the keyboard and the psp cable now its all about getting it to work together... Thats where the details are gray. Jean I thank you for your reply to my PM and in my haste I forget to mention that to you. I hope that you will be willing to help me along the way and if you need assistance to wright a full tut I can do that for you. You can see examples of my work on AcidMods.com

Thanks,
l0rdnic0

OMG Getting closer

Post by l0rdnic0 »

OK first off sorry for the dbbl post.

UPDATE!
I re-flashed the chatpad using Jeans version .3 CODE (THANKS Jean). Now when I run Jeans SIO_Chatpad software I see a different number for each key pressed (when in Serial Mode, when in Advanced mode I see two sets of numbers). I can use the people button to set the backlight and stuff like that but still no letters... HELP ME SOMEONE!! I have sent Jean a PM and am waiting for a reply from him. If anyone else has gotten this far please let me know.

UPDATE!!!!
WOWOWOWOWOWOW IT WORKS IN JEANS PROGRAM!!!!!!!

OK now to get it to work with piKey. So I'm runnig 4.1 m33-2 without the 1.5 support. I have read that piKey requires 1.5 support but Angelo (piKey Author) says otherwise. So again anyone offer me some suggestions?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Support would have to be added for the codes the chatpad sends. Pikey already handles serial, so it's a matter of adding code to take the values read from the serial and translate them the way pikey does the codes from pspirkeyb.
l0rdnic0

Post by l0rdnic0 »

umm ok, well I guess I'm stuck here then because I can not code.... Anyone willing? We know what the kbd outputs so I guess we just need a map file for pikey? help me if I'm wrong. I thought Jean said however that he had this working in the XMB in the web browser...

Jean?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Have you tried pikey? Maybe the chatpad was programmed to output something pikey already understands.
l0rdnic0

Post by l0rdnic0 »

yes I have, I tried version .3 and the latest .4 release. I heard that a new release might be released soon.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Remember that if you use 3.80 or better, you currently have to put "flash0:/kd/irda.prx" into game.txt in seplugins and activate it in the recovery menu for pikey to work. That's because 3.80 and newer quit initializing the irda in game mode since Sony never used it.
l0rdnic0

still not 100%

Post by l0rdnic0 »

OK so I'm running a fresh install of 3.80 M33-5 and a fresh copy of the un-offical piKey 0.4. I am not running the 1.5 Kernel! My Game.txt and VSH.txt file in seplugins contains the following

ms0:/seplugins/piKey.prx
flash0:/kd/irda.prx

I set up piKeyconfig.txt so that it uses SIO DEBUG = Y and I also commented out DISABLED PLUGINS thing. Then I updated PSPIRKeyB.ini and changed Keyboard = 0; from 15 and Map = 'Qwerty.ini';

When enable the plugins from the recovery and then boot the PSP it locks up (with/without keyboard connected) on the PSP splash screen. The only way I can fix that is to change SIO DEBUG = Y to SIO DEBUG = N. I tried lots of things too to try and work around that. Any ideas????

ONE THING TO NOTE: I'm using an official Sony Mem Stick PRO Duo 4Gb MagicGate Black.
jube

Post by jube »

to make pikey work ( pikey 4 ) with the serial io some minor code needs changing, jean has the details, and since this is his baby will let him enlighten you, or if he's kind he will re-compile pi-key to work for you.
l0rdnic0

almost there

Post by l0rdnic0 »

Jube, thanks for the reply but unfortunately jean has not replied to my PMs or my posts and he has been online since my attempts to contact him.. If you have any information I would truly appreciate it. I want to finish this project and get it to work with zx-81s ssh and afkim applications. I have a youtube video of my finished product.

In this video I give all the credit of this idea to Jean for his hard work. As I stated before, I have a number of Jeans files that were removed and I have offered to host them so that others can do this as well.

My hopes are that one day I can port this to the PSP Slim as I’m a PSP Slim moder. Having said that I don’t code so I’m hoping someone will hold my hand for the software end as I’m nothing more then a HW guy.

Here is the youtube link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Qs46tJi6A
jube

Post by jube »

i to am very much of a hardware engineer but had to learn to art of coding on the psp,( of which i am VERY MUCH still a novice ) i think you are going to end up having to do the same ! Otherwise you will be continually in this position!

I think jean is busy with personal matters at the moment, give him a chance to respond. I would not be comfortable picking it up unless he posts that he has dropped it !
l0rdnic0

Post by l0rdnic0 »

OK, thanks again. BTW good job on your latest mod...
jean

Post by jean »

Hi,all...long time no see..i appreciate all this renewed interest and have an answer for all..but unfortunately i'm typing from a mobile phone..tomorrow i will return from vacation and replay to all..see you!
KickinAezz

Post by KickinAezz »

Is anyone willing to ship a pre-modded chat pad with cable for about $15 (or more)?

I can do the PSP Side sio part myself...
Intrigued by PSP system Since December 2006.
Use it more for Development than for Gaming.