Open Keyboard Project

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jean

Post by jean »

(((again apologizing for my departure from psp scene...)))

You can use the connector from your remote, but i don't suggest using with attached remote...i mean: you have to tear apart remote and use only the connector making remote unusable... some user reports correct behaviour of both devices linked together, but i seriously doubt it is safe for all involved devices.
Have fun with your chatpad!
HellReborn

Post by HellReborn »

alright thanks you all have been a big help =)
pegasus2000

Post by pegasus2000 »

Jean, I have some difficulties... Can you contact me through my mail...
I need to speak with you...

Filippo
Art

Post by Art »

Have you been tempted to play with the PS3 keyboard?
It looks a lot sexier, but I didn't get to see the shape of it's underside.
If not actually, then potentially.
jean

Post by jean »

@pegasus: i'm not so famous that i need to date someone to speak with: just write me your problem here, by PM or in my mail...
HellReborn

Post by HellReborn »

maybe your problem might be some other persons problem so please post it here.
Glax

Post by Glax »

hi everybody

i'm new on this forum, because i need some help with this project

firs: thanks a lot at jean for this cool stuff :)

second: i get a chatpad yesterday.

now i got a problem:

i'm planning everything i have to do before starting modding this keyboard

for the PICprogrammer it's all ok

for the interface pin placement i have some questions:

1) some posts back Airoch posted his solderpoints configuration
the problem is in the img called "chatpad with psp rs232"

Do i have to sold the green cable to the SIO connector( immediatly after the cablecovering) ? i think it's only in the photo that seems it.....

2) can someone give me a specific map about where to sold the cables on the SIO connector?( if possible even on the other side of those cables, on the board)

thanks to everbody and excuse me for my bad english :)
jean

Post by jean »

follow the drawings and wxplanations in the "official package" downloadable here:
http://www.psp-ita.com/?module=fileview&file_id=1579
...you don't need no more
Glax

Post by Glax »

that's the point: int his photo
Arioch_76 wrote: Chatpad with PSP RS232
you can see the green cable solded to the tx and then to the v+ points

but int he img contained in the package it says to solder the tx point to the board's rx, not to the v+....

am i wrong? ( very very possble, but i don't know where...)
jean

Post by jean »

The image above seems to be correct (i say "seem" because i can't see solderings on SIO connector very well). In that image green is Tx, white = Rx, red = v+ and black = gnd.
But _PLEASE_ refer ONLY to the photos in my package!!! I receive around ten messages a week asking to assist one step by step for chatpad hack. Needless to say that i cannot follow everyone, there is nothing i can say that's not covered in instructions included in the package or here. So _PLEASE_ use it.
Glax

Post by Glax »

oh, ok i finally got it

i thought i had to solder the tx to the rx point ON THE BOARD, but the rx was on the sio connector...

ok now it's all ok

thanks and exuse me for any problems :)
wolfman

issues

Post by wolfman »

alright, im having problems. i built the programmer using the pieces my local electronics place gave me. PICPgm sees the programmer but cant see the PIC with autodetect. I set it manually and was able to read the firmware, but not write. Ive tried resoldering the programmer together 3 times, ive checked my connections, ive cut the ground, ive tried everything. I just need it programmed. If anyone could be of ANY help id be greatly appreciative. Ive followed the instructions to the best of my abilities with no luck. Thanks in advance.
jean

Post by jean »

remember that due to the intrisic simplicity of the programmer i used, it may require a "REAL old fashioned serial port", where by "real" i mean "not a USB-to-rs232 converter like those used on today's laptops"... just try to find a friend's desktop workstation with built-in serial port and do the programming stuff on it.
wolfman

laptop

Post by wolfman »

well if thats a reply to me, i dont own a laptop :P ive only used desktops my whole life. Im using windows xp media center edition 2005 and a real serial port. The motherboard is a Foxconn 661FX7MF-S if that helps any. It just doesnt seem to like my programmer apparently or something...
Glax

Post by Glax »

well...it's midnight?

about 2 hours ago i finally flashed my pic firmware....
i'll try to help you

first, i used a different programmer, and for the moment ( i only have to solder the Sio connector and check if i have to cry or not) it works.
thanks to airoch76 that gave me this link:
http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/easypic.htm

make it and then plug the db9 to the pc
it's really easy, one resistor and if you use a simply breadboard( i think it's called like that, or something like "ciruits tester"...es this:http://www.ladyada.net/images/parts/breadboard-half.jpg) you don't have to do solderings, and even to buy the base for the PIC.

when you've made it, connect the db9 to the pc and connect the 4,5v to the breadboard.

first, if you done everything well, the picpgm will say you " jdm programmer found ( autodetect)" on the bottom of the window

then i got a little problem: i clicked on "check PIC" but the check went alaways wrong, then i not intentionally pressed "program PIC" ( i don't know what it flashed, because i didn't load any .hex file....) and the program flashed successfully the PIC

then i loaded the correct .hex file, corrected the 2007 string and flashed

everything seems to be alright
excuse me for this looong post, but i had many problems doing this cool project, and i think that many peolple probably need some help

of you have any other questions, i'm here :)
myspacee

Post by myspacee »

Sorry for request,
but i just arrive form mp3car forum where a guy search to made same thing on PC
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/input-d ... -post.html

He want to do same thing without mod chatpad; and without proper
windows/linux driver, i think he can't reach any usable result.

Maybe already ask, but is possible to replicate jean miracle also on a PC ?
(chatpad <-> PC)

If not, can you explain why ?

Thank you for your time,

m.
jean

Post by jean »

As i already said somewhere, you can spend additional 5$ to buy a MAX232 and connect the chatpad to PC through serial port (i've seen a driver to support a 2nd serial keyboard somewhere). A firmware mod to make it work over ps2 port is also possible, but i was never interested in doing so due to lack in time and in public interest.
harrz84

Post by harrz84 »

Hi finally I bought a rs232 programmer so I flashed the firmware on the little chatpad, then I've tested with the sio tester app and when I push a button there is output on display.

I've installed the pikey plugin and reboot the psp, insert the chatpad and go to browser, i tired to type something, but there is mistake with the character / button pressed

for ex, i press X and type W, if I press another time X maybe write G and so on...after few types chatpad stop working...I have to disconnect reconnect to make another test

I have psp 1000 with 5.0 m33 fw, no 1.50 subset

pls someone help, I think I've make no mistake, I have re check cable, chatpad and plugin...if someone have an idea pls help tnx a l0t!

harrz
jean

Post by jean »

I don't know if i already said this (i think yes) but i know that there is little documentation about my work, so i'll repeat: The malfunctioning you describe could be the effect of wrong communication mode. Since the openkeyboard was born as a proof of concept (and people showed great interest in it but it had little spread because it's a difficult and expensive hack) there is no official communication protocol, so the device can be put in one of two communication modes: "plain serial and "advanced scan"...you can swap between one and the other pressing [people]+A or [people]+S. If changing mode doesn't work, check baudrates that have to be the same on the device and on the pikey plugin: if i correctly remember once i defaulted to 4800 while newer releases had a 9600 setting.

Speaking of releases, in a few week i should come out with a new one: due to personal quarrels i don't want my name or nickname to be coupled with psp-ita anymore and i asked them to remove all my works and not to publish forthcoming ones. So please, if you find files of mine on it, don't download and write me a note. Thanks to all people interested in this hobby of mine, i received many nice mails about people experimenting and i really appreciate it!
harrz84

Post by harrz84 »

hi tnx for the reply, I have check and re-check plugin, firmware of the chatpad and physical connection, I also tried to push as you say people +a and people + s, and make test, but in both type the write mismatched with buttons I pushed...you said to check also the baud rate of serial connection, but how? in the sio test application, I set different baud, from basic 9600 to higher, but continue not working, there is a way to change baud rate in the plugin? not in the sio test application
tnx for any help

I missed to write that in the xmb if I push H the help message pop up, the correct button that work for me are:
H, backspace, enter and X (as the triangle)
jean

Post by jean »

Huh... try lower baudrate to 4800 and enter [people][s] mode.
harrz84

Post by harrz84 »

tnx for reply, and how to change baudrate? in sio test application if I play with d pad minimum baud is 9600,

in xmb I don't know how to change baud
if you can explain me how to, you make me very happy :)

OK OK ok, I change baud rate in sio test application and work very very well

ok and in the xmb how to change baudrate??
jean

Post by jean »

...sorry, but since this never got but little beyond a proof of concept i never made this configurable....you should change baudrate in sources and recompile...
harrz84

Post by harrz84 »

but if i can change the baud in sio test app, and make it work, so I think the problem is in the firmware of psp...i think... I have fw 5.00 m33-6 without 1.50 subset, I have noticed that pikey and this project is made to work with fw 3.XX, so if I change fw to 3.XX maybe the chatpad work, maybe from 3 to 5 fw version changed setting for serial of remote or something like that...
I saw videos on the net that people made work this project very easier..like plug n play lol, and they have psp 1000 (fat) as me.....
HellReborn

Post by HellReborn »

i also have 5.00m33-6 on my psp and so this means i have to downgrade if i want to use the keyboard which i have not soldered yet T_T
R.I.P. Sparky - June 14 2000 - March 12 2006
jean

Post by jean »

...i don't think, but i have to do some testing...
harrz84

Post by harrz84 »

ok, now I have put fw 4.01. on my psp 1000, I tried the sio test app, set baud to 4800 and everything work, in the xmb or psp browser the chatpad don't work...before with fw 5.0 m33-6 in xmb / browser chatpad mismatch keys...now don't work at all...

I tried to reflash the chatpad firmware with baud 4800 setted in windows com port setting, but nothing changed...
TokyoDriftPSP

Post by TokyoDriftPSP »

hey
I just bought a chatpad and opened it
on the chip is written

Microsoft
X814364-001

I'm in germany
I bought a JDM Programmer, too, it will arrive on monday
so does anyone know anything about this?
TD
jean

Post by jean »

Microsoft
X814364-001
Uh-oh!....i fear they substituted programmable chips with production ROM counterparts...in such a case one should replace the chip in order to flash his own custom firmware into the chatpad... can you please put your chatpad's printed circuit board in a scanner, take a shot and show us?
TokyoDriftPSP

Post by TokyoDriftPSP »

in a normal scanner made for scanning documents? oO okay but I doubt this will help^^
well for me the circuit stuff looks the same as on your pictures
TD

okay, scanning was pretty unsuccesfull^^
you can't see anything^^
I'm glad to own a pretty good camera, so I took 2 pictures of the board:

http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/oani313h/DSC01704.JPG

http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/xst86sc1/DSC01708.JPG