Open Keyboard Project

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jean

Post by jean »

-EDITED to reflect actual changes in changelog-
I wrote a new firmware that i will make available after some testing and bug-corrections. The changelog is as following:
-Inserted config mode. Holding [people] button (that at this point should be called [user settings]) and pressing various keys, you can reconfigure the keyboard on-the-fly and store configuration in internal EEPROM memory.
1) [user settings]+[right] increase backlight luminosity
2) [user settings]+[left] decrease backlight luminosity
3) [user settings]+[s] put keyboard into serial mode
4) [user settings]+[a] put keyboard into scan/advanced mode (still no ps2 mode...not of PSP interest anyway) scan codes are sent as previously stated (1-47, counting buttons from top to bottom, from left to right) bit 6 set for "pressed", bit 7 reserved for future use (bidirectional protocol)
5) [user settings]+[0-9] set backlight duration (0 = no light, 1 = on 2sec...9 = always on)
6) other settings yet coded but not interfaced
- Antibounce mechanism inserted

STILL MISSING (but in progress):
- bidirectional communication with "master device" (intended for setting special buttons luminosity from PSP, etc...)
- repeatition of held keys
- power saving mode
- macro settings
Last edited by jean on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jean

Post by jean »

[[link removed]]

Sorry for the delay, here's the 0.2 release of openKeyboard Firmware... as soon as possible there will be another release, a youtube video showing usage of certain functions, a mod guide (to make a thin keyboard out of the whole chatpad) and a PSP-side software to use as an example to code drivers...
PS: for now, setting baudrate on-the-fly (as well as other functions listed in my previous post) has been disabled due to technical problems...

please let me know if you're using/improving this project in any way
Last edited by jean on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jube

Post by jube »

Hi looking great !
On the slim i am only getting 1.92v no load, from vss, dont think that will drive the pic?, the data sheet says 2v but i think the brownout is lower ( havent checked ! ) the new 1.8v pics not yet in production so are we screwed for the slim ?
Also remember you are getting zero power from your connector untill you take controll of the uart with the prx ( unless you emulate the initilisation sequence of a real remote or another sce verified serial device ), just mention that in notes so it dont confuse people !
jean

Post by jean »

Remember there's a charge-pump in power supply stage...i think it's no problem to power it with 2v (or 1.8...) at least you can turn completely off backlilght... I do not own a slim, so if you don't try it yourself, we'll never know.... Any new at pspIRKeyb/pikey side???
jube

Post by jube »

Good answer !! :) :)
Will try it myself,its such a cute kbd worth a try! especially if charge pump supplies everything including pic.
Im workin on pikey in general ( for my proj ), and on integrating your serial driver, not yet up to speed though, will be about another week, then can help with pikey/chatpad inegration in earnest, will pm you with my mail, (have some apps you might find usefull :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I've got the ChatPad, but I need to get a compatible programmer. Any suggestions on that? I've never done any PIC programming... meant to, but never got around to it. :) I've got a PAL programmer I've used stuff, but that's not going to work here.
jean

Post by jean »

I'm using a classic jdm
http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpics.htm
without the modify showed in
http://users.tpg.com.au/btkelly/jdm_b.htm

If you have the clasical version like me, you've to leave gnd unconnected
In the first archive i posted, there are instructions to program the pic (config word, suggested programs, configurations por winpic...) At the moment i'm using picPgm...let me know if you need help

jean

PS: probably you need a REAL com port...the rs232 "converter" to usb for laptop never works properly....
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

jean wrote:I'm using a classic jdm
http://www.jdm.homepage.dk/newpics.htm
without the modify showed in
http://users.tpg.com.au/btkelly/jdm_b.htm

If you have the clasical version like me, you've to leave gnd unconnected
In the first archive i posted, there are instructions to program the pic (config word, suggested programs, configurations por winpic...) At the moment i'm using picPgm...let me know if you need help

jean

PS: probably you need a REAL com port...the rs232 "converter" to usb for laptop never works properly....
Okay, thanks! Looks pretty easy to put together. I've made much tougher circuits. :)

I've got real serial on most of my systems. That shouldn't be a problem.
aruba

i success to make sio cable for PSP slim

Post by aruba »

Hi, i success to make sio cable for PSP slim

i use MAX3218CAP, and i could get to 1N6050 diode.
i use 1N4148 diode. i think use more better 4.7μF conductor between Vcc - GND.
i will open circuit image to the public.

sorry, my poor English.
jean

Re: i success to make sio cable for PSP slim

Post by jean »

aruba wrote:Hi, i success to make sio cable for PSP slim

sorry, my poor English.
I Think you're a little bit off topic... openKeyboard project does not use max**** to connect with PSP. Anyway, capacitance value for load decoupling should not be critical as its purpose is only to level noise introduced by the max's charge-pump internal oscillator.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

aruba wrote:Hi, i success to make sio cable for PSP slim

Nice! You should starti a new thread about it, I have some of my own suggestions to add :)
aruba

Post by aruba »

sorry, i mistake topic.

i take a your advice, and make new thread.
Please kindly look in that thread
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Wonderful job guys, shame that there isn't an official one out there yet, but this is definitely the next best thing!

By the way, should anyone care enough (maybe, maybe not) the PSPrint libraries are set-up clean enough so that they can interface to a driver for this keyboard. That would mean that programs like dosbox or that Lua programming interface, or the Mac emu, or the chat program, etc., only need a simple recompile with a new version of the library, no additional code needed. The code for it is available online in the PSPrint topic.

I'm not at all offended if no-one cares. ;) But if someone does, it's right there, and I think at least the programming interface was fairly decent and easy to use for other programmers.
jean

Post by jean »

OPENKEYBOARD 0.3:
[[link removed]]

I'm sick in my bed, and i will remain here until my temperature decreases. So, this is good for you, because i'm killing time developing openKeyboard. This release's new features are only around power saving. Now you can leave your chatPad connected all the time to PSP without notice any significant decrease in battery lifetime (unless you type in all the time and keep backlight at the maximum level, always on !!). Good news:
1) The only feature still missing is the capability to receive commands from USART (say, you want to command the shift individual backlight from PSP to make it blink...)
2) I'm developing a "loader" to allow firmware uploading from PSP or PC through serial line (= without opening the chatpad). You still need to flash the loader as usual through jp1 the first time, but then it will be more easy to update your firmware.

If someone is experimenting, let me know if you notice unexpected behaviours.

Jean

PS: even if mikroC continues producing the config word 0x20C4, the right one remains 0x20D4; don't forget to change it before flashing...
Last edited by jean on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
werejag

Post by werejag »

jean thanks for doing this
werejag

Post by werejag »

does this work on the webbrowser and any other text input parts of the psp?

i have my parts on order to build one
jean

Post by jean »

Yep :) ! I'm still experimenting, but the whole thing works...
Art

Post by Art »

Hey jean, good work :)
Please let us know when the serial loader is done.
That is the only thing holding me back, buying or making another pic programmer.

I have a real good one, but not compatible with the device the chatpad is based on.
It feels like a bit of a bummer having to buy or make another programmer
just for that chip. Serial connection would be no problem though.
The case is probably the same for more members here too.

I'm interested in pics of how you got rid of the white molded body too.
If not actually, then potentially.
jean

Post by jean »

I promised to post pics and videos centuries ago, but i was veeeery busy!! Anyway, You will have to flash the loader as usal the first time!!! Each subsequent flash can be done through serial line, but the first.... Again, i hope i'll get some free time to post everithing.

cheers,
jean

PS: i think that EVERY pic programmer is able to program chatpad's micro....you have only to deal with timing and gnd...
Art

Post by Art »

Forgot, of course you'd need to flash the loader...

I kinda figured that my programmer *could* do it, but I use a P16pro with the free ICprog software.
They just haven't written a config for the particular device in question.
If I wait long enough, I guess it will be done.
If not actually, then potentially.
jean

Post by jean »

If you look into one of the three beta releases of openKeyboard, you'll find a configuration file i made for winPic: i'm proud of it, but the best choice (i guess) is still picPgm that natively supports pic16f883 with _autodetection_ of both programmer and device, so you don't need to try programming 100 times before founding that a wire isn't connected :))) !! (believe me: icProg was great, but now is dead) For everyone reading and not undertanding but willing to have their chatpad, be sure that as soon as i get something stable and working a omnicomprensive release (chatpad firmware, schemes, photos, drivers for piKey,....) willl be done toghether with a tutorial "for dummies".
werejag

Post by werejag »

damn lost my auction for chatpad. ill get one shortly
Wally

Post by Wally »

I hate to ask but will this work on the slim.. eventually?
jean

Post by jean »

Short answer: i don't know 'cause i never tryed.
Long answer: i think there is no reason for it not to work: the only issue is that someone is reporting me a voltage out of S&L sio port lower than in phat...however this is why i have put a working mode that leaves backlight off...

PS: don't pay more than 30€ for a chatpad...it's a fixed price and in europe you can find it in every tech-market
jean

Post by jean »

i posted this in anothe thread, but this is the place where it should be
[[link removed]]
Last edited by jean on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
werejag

Post by werejag »

any more progress?
folklord904

Post by folklord904 »

ok so whats the progress on this this is a great mod and with enoughf info i will release the tut if u guys are too busy. so what im getting is u have to reprogram pic 16f whtever i cant read it. how do u do that with the homepade pic programer the pins are way too small do u just solder on the leads to the pic lots of small pins looks hard. with the firm ware you have now will it work in the xmb and with games with pikey or whats the software side of it? i allready bought my chat pad and hope to release my psp laptop in a month or so and i got everything case and all i just need a keyboard and i chose this one cus it fits in place of lcd as in my case it has a flip screen and i like the way chat pad buttons are i would like to help further develop this and have some ppl who might be able to help alot
werejag

Post by werejag »

you have psp equivalent of a mouse yet?
folklord904

Post by folklord904 »

yes its actualy pretty simple and clever but idk how usefull it will be untill i completely figuer out the whole software side fo this because my mouse is like the second nub its wired to the 4 right buttons and right trigger for click and with no software adjustments its plug and play with games like cod that are 1st person and use those buttons to look around and right trigger to shoot so instead you wire those to a mini female usb port and a modifyed mouse to a min male. i didnt think of this mod and am not claiming i did. and hopefully if the keyboard works in xmb and games then with some tweaks to pikey i guess you could alter the button scheme to change with game and xmb mode so in xmb mode the mouse controls the d pad and x for click and o for left click i did however think of useing it like that so i can allways be the main control. but we are more focused on getting the keyboard working and would like to know the info you have.

i need to know
1. how exactly is this wired all i can get from this thread is gnd to gnd and vcc to vcc and i dont have instrmunts to fig it out.here is a pic please indacate wireing in a post like in the pic if the 5th pin from right on the board goes to the first segment of headphone jack could you tell me?

2.how do i program this pic if its soldered to board do you know certin points on the board that you solder a wire from corrisponding pins on pic programer to? here are pics if you can also tell me how to program the pic.

3. with the current firmware you have and with tweks to pikey will this keyboard work in xmb and games. and will it work in the sony text entry thing like in this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KnJjG8mAjXE
werejag

Post by werejag »

i dont have chatpad yet but from my understanding you program via a isp type setup. the pic she/jean provided shows the typical isp pins.

i was hoping you had a real mouse not just an extra analog nub