dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

DanielC

Post by DanielC »

andwan0 wrote:I've been playing oldskool 1990 PC games on my PSP (via PSX ports or SCUMMVM or even Amiga ports). DOSBox and DOS emulation on PSP is way too slow. Even FreeDOS on bochs emulator is still slow (well it's not slow to run DOS and use DOS but it's slow to run the DOS games under DOSBox or FreeDOS on PSP).

So I was thinking... PSP is a 333MHz MIPS machine. Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a x86 portable device as small as PSP? Am not talking about laptops. If we took a x86 motherboard and shrunk it down to the size of a PSP... then using the Memory Pro Duo or MicroSD as the hard drive... and have USB or PS/2 ports for the mouse & keyboard... and the small LCD screen. then the power consumption would be similar to that of PSP... and can use a small 9V battery. Then can install/use MS-DOS natively and play all oldskool 1990 MS-DOS games like Alien Carnage, Duke Nukem series, and many more.

I read an article of some guy made a portable PS2 virtually similar size as the PSP. If he could do that then one could do a self project in making a x86 portable gaming device size of a PSP too.

Would this be feasible? Does anyone know about x86 motherboards, batteries, LCDs, storage (Memory Pro Duo / MicroSD), PS/2 or USB connections, etc)?
UMPC's are not a new idea they are just very expensive. I'm holding out for the Pandora personally, that'll rock DOSBox something fierce. Should probably stay on topic though.

P.S. They did it with an Amiga 500 mainboard but I think the main thing with x86 is that it's too expensive for someone to do, and it has no need because most of the time DOSBox is better than native DOS anyway (Bochs/VMWare/VirtualBox + FreeDOS = crap compared to DOSBox for gaming)
Regards,
Daniel C
andwan0

Post by andwan0 »

DanielC wrote:UMPC's are not a new idea they are just very expensive.
<snip>
I like to research on netbook or UMPC. UMPC & netbooks uses very modern hardware... so am not even sure if MS-DOS would freeze up on unknown hardware components. Plus... there's no Sound Blaster Pro/16 chipset which we need. There are pico ITX and tiny/mini x86 motherboards... but we are uncertain whether it's MS-DOS compatible.

Yeah, I can't wait to see how Pandara holds up to CPU/memory hungry DOSBox.
doobers

working dosboxpsp patch

Post by doobers »

Hello, i created this archive to help compile dosbox 0.71 for psp by crazyc. It contains a working patch for the original dosbox 0.71 to convert it to the psp port.
I could only test it on macosx 10.6 and the latest psptoolchain (2492) but it should work on any other *nix.

To apply the patch, download the dosbox-0.71 sources and patch like this: patch -p0 -i dosbox_503m33.diff
After the patch is applied cd into the dosbox-0.71 and type make, no need to use the configure scripts.

http://blas.rampletea.com/dosbox_src_psp.zip
andwan0

Re: working dosboxpsp patch

Post by andwan0 »

doobers wrote:Hello, i created this archive to help compile dosbox 0.71 for psp by crazyc. It contains a working patch for the original dosbox 0.71 to convert it to the psp port.
I could only test it on macosx 10.6 and the latest psptoolchain (2492) but it should work on any other *nix.

To apply the patch, download the dosbox-0.71 sources and patch like this: patch -p0 -i dosbox_503m33.diff
After the patch is applied cd into the dosbox-0.71 and type make, no need to use the configure scripts.

http://blas.rampletea.com/dosbox_src_psp.zip
Fantastic stuff!
jbfp

Post by jbfp »

I am really excited about this project, but I have a question. I have a PSP slim and am making one of those XBox Chatpad keyboards for it.

( http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... cae49d9f5f )

The keyboard uses the piKey driver. I am fairly sure that DosBox does not have support for piKey yet, correct? If that is the case, does anyone know if it's possible to get this keyboard working with DosBox?

Thanks in advance....