dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

kuluman

Post by kuluman »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to get Darklands (Microprose, 1992) to run. You can start the game, and play for awhile, but then (usually when you try to access the overland map, although it can be at any point in the game) the game crashes and gives you an error (usually something like "(name of the picture).pic: No such file or directory", even though the file is there. You can't save a game either.

This only happens on the Psp, on my pc it runs fine, without any problem, so I'm almost sure it's something trivial. DL is really one of my favourites, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Wally

Post by Wally »

kuluman wrote:Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has tried to get Darklands (Microprose, 1992) to run. You can start the game, and play for awhile, but then (usually when you try to access the overland map, although it can be at any point in the game) the game crashes and gives you an error (usually something like "(name of the picture).pic: No such file or directory", even though the file is there. You can't save a game either.

This only happens on the Psp, on my pc it runs fine, without any problem, so I'm almost sure it's something trivial. DL is really one of my favourites, so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
How many files does this game have?

the PSP has a limit to how many files can load at once, best way to get around this is to put the game in an image file.

Wally
Amarok

Post by Amarok »

Hi guys.

I have what appears to be a write permissions problem with dosbox on PSP. I searched through this forum but haven't been able to find an answer.

Dosbox itself appears to be working fine. I have HOMM2 working (albiet slowly). The problem comes when I try to write over any files. For example I can't overwrite saved games, and thus HOMM2 crashes at the end of the turn as it can't autosave. I get an error saying "Unable to open file Autosave.gm1" or words to that effect. I am able to save new save files, just not write over existing ones. None of the files in question are read only.

I have a similar problem in Wacky Wheels, with an error as I load the game saying "Cannot open WACKY.CFG for WRITE/UPDATE".

It all points to a permission problem but i dont know how to fix it. I am running several emulators as well as some old PS1 games, and dosbox is the only one that has this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Massive thanks to CrazyC for this as well. Being able to play these games on PSP is something I never dreamed I'd be able to do when I bought it. Great program.
Vipes

Post by Vipes »

I'd hate for this to be my first post but... I just got a PSP-3000, and when I found out that DOSBox was made for PSP, I was more than happy. Really, the only game I use DOSBox for is One Must Fall: 2097. So can someone explain to me how to downgrade my PSP, if needed, to run the program, and how/if OMF: 2097 can be played on it. I never really done anything like this before.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Vipes wrote:I'd hate for this to be my first post but... I just got a PSP-3000, and when I found out that DOSBox was made for PSP, I was more than happy. Really, the only game I use DOSBox for is One Must Fall: 2097. So can someone explain to me how to downgrade my PSP, if needed, to run the program, and how/if OMF: 2097 can be played on it. I never really done anything like this before.
You can't (yet) install custom firmware on the 3000, and without custom firmware, you can't run homebrew like DOSBox.
ardatan

Post by ardatan »

crazyc your links have died...
please could you change them?
I'm sorry for my bad English.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

ardatan wrote:crazyc your links have died...
please could you change them?
Done.
Gaby_64

Post by Gaby_64 »

Can u please post the source codes
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

Gaby_64 wrote:Can u please post the source codes
Download the patch in the 1st post and apply it to the dosbox sources from the official site.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

How do you apply the patch? This question never got answered.
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The same way you apply ANY patch.
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

dennis96411 wrote:How do you apply the patch? This question never got answered.
It's available on most setups from linux to windows (cygwin/mingw). Typing "patch --help" alone in a shell in your dev environment should give you a list of options.

or read the manual (google)

http://linux.die.net/man/1/patch
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

Any patch? Like?
My PSP's Firmware:
5.00 M33-6 w/ LEDA 0.2

My PSP's Motherboard:
TA-088

My PSP's Model:
PSP-2001 (Slim)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:Any patch? Like?
Like every other patch file posted here over the years. :D

I've even posted a few. Like Chrighton said, just type "patch --help" on the command line and look it over.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

I have a couple of questions:

Will DOSBox have any internet support?

Is it possible to load any files from the windows image

And can dosbox load other OS images (linux, unix, etc)?

Last, how much of ram does D.Box use to load programs, image, etc?
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Wally

Post by Wally »

Dariusc123456 wrote:I have a couple of questions:

no.
maybe.
no.
google.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Dariusc123456 wrote:I have a couple of questions:

Wally is right I suppose:

1. No, dosbox won't have an internet feature ... why should it? To play dosgames via wifi? Then u should ask for a WiFi feature, NOT internet .. two very different things ... and to surf the web with dosbox would be rather dumb ... it's DOS ... ever used DOS or Win 3.11 apps to surf the web? I did back in the days when my ol' dad used BTX Modems to do online banking (was just invented then, 14.4 Modem with these aweful noises!) ... let's say u simply don't wanna try it!

2. I don't get the meaning of this question: What do u wanna do? I guess that Wally didn't understand it either, or else he'd have not written "maybe" ...

2.a. IF u wanna load Win 3.11 with Dosbox, then YES this is possible
2.b. IF u just want to see files in some sort of image file containing WIndows setup files or whatever, then again YES this is possible, but u have to MOUNT the image with DosBox. You cannot just open the image within DOS or whatever ...

3. No, I guess this is not possible, there are other apps that can do this on a PSP ... We already have Mac 4 PSP, Linux also runs (with limited possibilities) and yep, Win95 also runs!

4. Do ya mean how much RAm is used by Dosbox itself b4 any other game or app is loaded? Or how much RAM is left to run games under dosbox? For both questions, have a look at the other Dosbox threat in this forum ... maybe u should use the search button. Crazy once explained this for us ... I think I also left a comment about this in the manual about how much RAm is available for use with games and apps within Dosbox ... I think it's about 10 MB on the old PSP1000 and 10 +32 MB on the newer Slim one ... But I am not sure anymore ...
cosmito

Post by cosmito »

Murdock wrote:Win95 also runs!
You should say that it "slowly crawls" instead of "runs" ;)
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Is it possible to load exe files from an w95.img?
tanweeho

inputmap exec orion.exe?

Post by tanweeho »

Has anyone managed to successfully execute "orion.exe" (Master of Orion) using "inputmap exec" command? I have a simple bat file that contains a single liner "inputmap exec orion.exe" but it gives me a "You must run ORION.EXE" message. (I thought of mapping some keyboard shortcuts onto the PSP buttons so that I can rely less on the mouse ptr.) But if I execute the "orion.exe" via the dosbox.conf, the game runs.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Well wifi feature then.

I got the dosbox source, and might make a support wifi.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Dariusc123456 wrote:Well wifi feature then.

I got the dosbox source, and might make a support wifi.
Really?? Good luck with that.

Writing a driver for DosBox then writing a wifi driver for DOS.

Have much fun!
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Wally4000 wrote: Really?? Good luck with that.

Writing a driver for DosBox then writing a wifi driver for DOS.

Have much fun!
Dosbox does have ipx over ip support. I played with it for a bit, but due lack of RAM in the fat PSP (I don't have a slim) I never got it to work. Although it may be futile anyway as few apps that support networking perform well.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The problem here is the same one as in Basilisk II - you need raw sockets so you can emulate an ethernet adapter, but no one has been able to determine if and how to get raw sockets on the PSP. It's one of those things that seems to not be supported. To be fair, you really don't expect to use such a thing on a portable gaming console. You just need enough network support for linking units in games, or browsing the net. It's just with homebrew where we actually do such crazy things as emulating Macs and PCs on a handheld that you run into this limitation.
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

Its possible, but like you said, JF, that its hard to recieve the raw sockets.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

J.F. wrote:The problem here is the same one as in Basilisk II - you need raw sockets so you can emulate an ethernet adapter, but no one has been able to determine if and how to get raw sockets on the PSP.
Dosbox doesn't attempt to interoperate with real ipx networks so the ipx frames are tunneled in udp packets and raw sockets aren't needed.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:
J.F. wrote:The problem here is the same one as in Basilisk II - you need raw sockets so you can emulate an ethernet adapter, but no one has been able to determine if and how to get raw sockets on the PSP.
Dosbox doesn't attempt to interoperate with real ipx networks so the ipx frames are tunneled in udp packets and raw sockets aren't needed.
Yes, that's how B2 handles AppleTalk across UDP (supported in my port). That doesn't need raw sockets, but it also doesn't give you net access, which is what people REALLY want.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

J.F. wrote:
crazyc wrote:
Yes, that's how B2 handles AppleTalk across UDP (supported in my port). That doesn't need raw sockets, but it also doesn't give you net access, which is what people REALLY want.
I honestly do not have any clue about this coding stuff, not even to speak of this coding network access into apps ... LOL

BUT: REAL Networking is not what we'd need with Dosbox, is it? The only thing we'd need is some "virtual network". This means that a game in dos which wants to connect to another (=hosting) computer "thinks" that there is one and some sort of software emulates this and establishes connection to another PSP whcih is also running dosbox, hosting a game and "listening" for a connection.

I mean this really sounds and IS theoretical, as I said due to a lack of knowledge, but I think this could be realized by "teaching" dosbox how to use the WiFi. Or am I wrong here? Anyways ...

I once again updated my lill manual. No major changes, just some language improvements (in the introduction part) and some additions in the list of working games.

http://rapidshare.com/files/177622962/D ... k_1.9e.pdf