dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

u cant ask for imgs here its illegal , find them on ur own.
paco.

Post by paco. »

I have just run win95 in the pc dosbox but in the psp but says to me that the unit c must be mounted in a local unit .
what have I to do?

Bye chazz
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

oh and crazyc when I use the command line I told ya I get this:

booting from drive c. . .
missing operating system

then nothing boots and I cant type anything.

but when I use it on an older version it works and I get this:

starting windows 95

then windows 95 boots and works great!
paco.

Post by paco. »

Chazz you have an message.
Bye
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Dark Chazz wrote:oh and crazyc when I use the command line I told ya I get this:

missing operating system

then nothing boots and I cant type anything.

but when I use it on an older version it works and I get this:

starting windows 95

then windows 95 boots and works great!
The problem is the new code calculates a different disk geometry then the old code. The boot sector gets confused when the formatted geometry doesn't match the BIOS geometry. If you use the -size parameter to imgmount, with the parameters you created the image with, it should work. I'll try to come up with a solution for the automatic calculation when I get a chance.
Stabwound

Post by Stabwound »

Hi,

Is there any way to map button _combos_ to a certain keypress?

Like, if I want to map "ltrigger + up = UP (keyboard)" is it possible?

I looked around a lot, but couldn't find any info about this.

Thanks, and awesome work here! :)
indstr

Post by indstr »

so, i just got my targus keyboard in the mail, but i can't get it to work with dosbox. i've been messing for over 2 hours now.

i'm running 3.52 m33, pikey 0.3, the keyboard works in vsh and retail games, but i can't get it to work in ANY homebrew apps. (not even in CTRL mode)

for dosbox, i have the keymap ini files, and my pspirkeyb.ini looks like this:

Code: Select all

[KEYBOARD]
mapfile_dir = 'ms0:/PSP/GAME150/Dosbox/keymap';
# change this to your needs
map = 'default.ini';
keyboard = 15 ;
i have tried out of the "game" folder, tried using the targus-include.ini.
i tried deleting the pikey output plugins. nothing works.

i can change my CTRL mode mappings to control the VSH with different keys, but every single homebrew i've tried hasn't responded to the keyboard, so i don't think it's dosbox that has the problem, but something else about my configuration.

anybody have any ideas?

thanks
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Try it with pikey off. Pikey is for programs without direct keyboard support, and I think it locks the keyboard for itself while running. Programs using pspirkeyb directly don't need pikey. Dosbox works fine for me with the targus and palm without pikey active.
hartraft

Post by hartraft »

I have a targus k/b too. What steps do you need to do to get it working? Where did you find out u need to put a keymap.ini and pspirkeyb.ini somewhere? Sorry i'm new to this, help pls...

thanks
indstr wrote:so, i just got my targus keyboard in the mail, but i can't get it to work with dosbox. i've been messing for over 2 hours now.

i'm running 3.52 m33, pikey 0.3, the keyboard works in vsh and retail games, but i can't get it to work in ANY homebrew apps. (not even in CTRL mode)

for dosbox, i have the keymap ini files, and my pspirkeyb.ini looks like this:

[KEYBOARD]
mapfile_dir = 'ms0:/PSP/GAME150/Dosbox/keymap';
map = 'default.ini';
keyboard = 15 ;
i have tried out of the "game" folder, tried using the targus-include.ini.
i tried deleting the pikey output plugins. nothing works.

i can change my CTRL mode mappings to control the VSH with different keys, but every single homebrew i've tried hasn't responded to the keyboard, so i don't think it's dosbox that has the problem, but something else about my configuration.

anybody have any ideas?

thanks
indstr

Post by indstr »

J.F. wrote:Try it with pikey off. Pikey is for programs without direct keyboard support, and I think it locks the keyboard for itself while running. Programs using pspirkeyb directly don't need pikey. Dosbox works fine for me with the targus and palm without pikey active.
still doesn't work for me

:(
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

For pspirkeyb, I put the stuff into seplugins, not seplugins/pikey (actually, it's in BOTH to make both work).

pspirkeyb.ini

#
# pspirtty keyboard driver
#

[KEYBOARD]
mapfile_dir = 'ms0:/seplugins/keymap';
map = 'targus.ini';
keyboard = 15;
# number of calls that fail to return a new key before last key repeats
delay = 50;
# number of calls that fail to return a new key between key repeats
rate = 10;

##############################
# possible "keyboard" values #
##############################
#
# 0  - NO keyboard
#
# 1  - Compaq/HP foldable keyboard
# 2  - Snap'n'Type
# 5  - HP Slim keyboard
# 8  - Belkin IR (not IrDA)
# 9  - Flexis FX-100 keyboard
# 10 - Benq G250 gamepad
# 11 - Micro Innovation Pocketop keyboard
# 12 - Micro Innovations Foldaway keyboard
# 13 - Micro Innovations Datapad
# 14 - Compaq MicroKeyboard
# 15 - Targus Universal Wireless keyboard
# 18 - Freedom keyboard
# 19 - NOVAETS - KIS2 - IR Keyboard
# 20 - Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard
# 21 - Hama Palm IR keyboard
# 22 - Sprint PDA Keyboard
With the keymap directory in 'ms0:/seplugins' along with the 'irkeyb.prx' file.
indstr

Post by indstr »

i guess that could do it! i'll try it when i get home. thanks for the tip :)
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

crazyc here r Dosboxpsp problems:
-after boot dosbox doesn't detect any mounted hard drives using regular mount.
-after boot dosbox doesn't detect any cdrom drive mounted with either imgmount or regular mount.
-after boot dosbox doesn't detect more than 2 imgmounted hard drives.
-dosbox doesn't save the img (read only???).
-dosbox can't save when using a txt editor.
-some read/write error with the CS:IP (w98 has a hard time because of that I need to put the serial one to directserial in order to boot w98.
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

oh and crazyc please fix a least the first one it would be really great to be able to access the ms0 in w95-3.1-98
indstr

Post by indstr »

J.F. wrote:For pspirkeyb, I put the stuff into seplugins, not seplugins/pikey (actually, it's in BOTH to make both work).

pspirkeyb.ini

excellent. this made it work! although i don't have the irkeyb.prx file and have no idea where to get it (couldn't find it anywhere).

unfortunately my targus has the delay that some people have complained of...

also, how the heck do i use F-keys? i've tried changing the ini to no avail
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

indstr wrote:
J.F. wrote:For pspirkeyb, I put the stuff into seplugins, not seplugins/pikey (actually, it's in BOTH to make both work).

pspirkeyb.ini

excellent. this made it work! although i don't have the irkeyb.prx file and have no idea where to get it (couldn't find it anywhere).

unfortunately my targus has the delay that some people have complained of...

also, how the heck do i use F-keys? i've tried changing the ini to no avail
You'll find the latest pspirekyb here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9599

I haven't gotten around to adding the keyboard in the diff file later in the thread as it was apparently made from the repo pspirkeyb instead of the one in the thread, so I have to add that by hand.

Many devs are still using old pspirkeyb libs when compiling their code. The repo is old - corresponding to pikey 0.3. The lib in the zip in the thread corresponds to pikey 0.4 - one of the changes was to the targus driver (and hama driver). Some folks are still using the REALLY old pspirkeyb made when the devkit they are using was put together (that's the problem with devkits). If they are using the statically linked library, they'll be using the old code no matter what is in the seplugins directory.

BTW, you'll find irkeyb.prx in pspirkeyb-080105.zip/pspirkeyb/pspirkeybprx/.

BTW2, the pspirkeyb in the zip fixes the install problem the repo pspirkeyb has (permission issue because it was trying to copy the .svn directory to the sample directory). The way I install the libraries:

Run the libraries.sh script. When it fails (and it should when it hits the repo version of pspirkeyb), then do make install on my pspirkeyb from the zip above to get the latest pspirkeyb installed, then run libraries.sh 16 17 18 19 20 21 to get the rest of the libraries after the keyb lib.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

J.F. wrote: I haven't gotten around to adding the keyboard in the diff file later in the thread as it was apparently made from the repo pspirkeyb instead of the one in the thread, so I have to add that by hand.
Are you talking about the diff I posted? That can't be true as PSP_IRKBD_TYPE_SPRINT isn't in the svn version.
Dark Chazz wrote:-after boot dosbox doesn't detect any mounted hard drives using regular mount.
-after boot dosbox doesn't detect any cdrom drive mounted with either imgmount or regular mount.
Do you mean, after booting win95 you can't see the other mounted drives? Dosbox has never supported this.
-after boot dosbox doesn't detect more than 2 imgmounted hard drives.
Not sure what you mean by this.
-dosbox doesn't save the img (read only???).
-dosbox can't save when using a txt editor.
If the image is mounted as a cdrom, then it's read only.
-some read/write error with the CS:IP (w98 has a hard time because of that I need to put the serial one to directserial in order to boot w98.
I'll need more detail. If you are trying to boot win98, Dosbox doesn't support that either.
paco.

Post by paco. »

Does dosbox recognize USB?
My friend has loaded win98 in psp with dosbox,but is very slow
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

paco. wrote:Does dosbox recognize USB?
No.
My friend has loaded win98 in psp with dosbox,but is very slow
Of course.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

crazyc wrote:
J.F. wrote: I haven't gotten around to adding the keyboard in the diff file later in the thread as it was apparently made from the repo pspirkeyb instead of the one in the thread, so I have to add that by hand.
Are you talking about the diff I posted? That can't be true as PSP_IRKBD_TYPE_SPRINT isn't in the svn version.
That's odd - when I tried to run patch using that diff on the source in the archive in the thread, it completely bombed out, giving errors all over the place about conflicts and not being able to handle hunks and whatnot.
indstr

Post by indstr »

J.F. wrote: You'll find the latest pspirekyb here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9599
so i tried this irkeyb.prx... what does this actually do? what do i need to do with it. i tried adding it to vsh.txt and game.txt, and enabling in the cfw menu. i don't notice any difference though, dosbox is still slow with my targus
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

indstr wrote:
J.F. wrote: You'll find the latest pspirekyb here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9599
so i tried this irkeyb.prx... what does this actually do? what do i need to do with it. i tried adding it to vsh.txt and game.txt, and enabling in the cfw menu. i don't notice any difference though, dosbox is still slow with my targus
irkeyb.prx is the shared library version of the keyboard drivers. Most programs use the static library - the keyboard support is fixed at compile time, so updating the pspirkeyb stuff in seplugins won't have any affect for programs that compile in pspirkeyb. For those programs, you need to bug the author of the program to update his libraries (and in some cases, the whole toolchain).
Tzetze

Post by Tzetze »

Hi guys, quick question regarding dosbox (hope this is in the right place).

I'm trying to get Ultima 8 running and am being told by the application that "Files=15!, please set Files=40 in your config.sys"

Comparing .conf files between my PC (on which u8 runs) and my PSP doesn't show any obvious setting difference.

Is there anyway to incorporate Files=40 into my PSP's .conf file?
Wally

Post by Wally »

put files=40 into the .conf file under autoexec thing
Tzetze

Post by Tzetze »

Wally4000 wrote:put files=40 into the .conf file under autoexec thing
It's meant to be processed as part of config.sys not autoexec.bat
Files is an unrecognised command and can't be used under autoexec.

Thanks for the offer of help though.
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

hey crazyc for the:

1st and 2nd yes thats what I mean. If you can for the next release of Dosbox can you please add support.
3rd 4th and 5th I mean any mounted img.
6th Ya I'm trying to boot w98 please add support.

as I told you when you save a file you edited with a text editor it doesn't work(save) can you fix that ?
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

double post... anyways here some errors with psp Dosbox:

-config -get(just freezes and shuts off the psp)
-cant change cycles in the new Dosbox (when start Dosbox screen stays black)
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Dark Chazz wrote:hey crazyc for the:

1st and 2nd yes thats what I mean. If you can for the next release of Dosbox can you please add support.

as I told you when you save a file you edited with a text editor it doesn't work(save) can you fix that ?
I don't want to start an argument (again), but have u ever thought about the possibility that if sth. doesn't work it is ur OWN fault and not that the application doesn'T support it? ...

Win98 has already been successfully run on DosBox ... so if it runs on other ppl.s DosBox4PSP and not on urs ... hmm, is it the apps fault? *irony*

If u can'T write to the image (like u said if u want to save a txt file), it is AGAIN not the apps fault! U just have to use WRITABLE images ... it's kinda complicated, I know ... took me some time, but believe me, it WORX!
Wally

Post by Wally »

Tzetze wrote:
Wally4000 wrote:put files=40 into the .conf file under autoexec thing
It's meant to be processed as part of config.sys not autoexec.bat
Files is an unrecognised command and can't be used under autoexec.

Thanks for the offer of help though.
Ah yeah :/
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Dark Chazz wrote:hey crazyc for the:

I can't add support, this would have to be fixed upstream. You can ask the dosbox developers, but the first is very difficult and unlikely to happen, and the second (win98) is beyond the scope of the program. With win3.1 (not win95) if you run it from the dosbox shell instead of booting DOS you can see the mounted drives.
I'll take a look at it.
I've saved files before, which text editor are you using?
Is there anyway to incorporate Files=40 into my PSP's .conf file?
This is discussed earlier in the thread, because of limitations of the psp memory stick driver, any app that wants to open more then about 9 files won't work unless you use a disk image.