dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:Just tried using a "plain" dosbox.conf ... without any adjustments by me, found it somewhere in my old folders. But still, the PSP switches off when I load a game ... I'm very clueless ...
Oops, I screwed up. I don't know if it will fix your problem, but download the EBOOT.PBP again.
Hmmm, suspend doesn't appear to be working now. I'll fix that and put out another build soon.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

crazyc wrote:
Murdock wrote:Just tried using a "plain" dosbox.conf ... without any adjustments by me, found it somewhere in my old folders. But still, the PSP switches off when I load a game ... I'm very clueless ...
Oops, I screwed up. I don't know if it will fix your problem, but download the EBOOT.PBP again.
Hmmm, suspend doesn't appear to be working now. I'll fix that and put out another build soon.

Okay, here's what I've done so far:

I just flashed the original Flash0 of 3.71 but the error still persits. I noticed that other homebrew apps SEEM to be freezing, too ... like Quake 1 and SNES9xTYL 0.4.2 me ... other hombrews, like RIN, Duke3d, SCUMM VM 0.10.0 run fine ... strange thing! Okay, but it seems not to be an error limited to Dosbox!
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Murdock wrote:
aTomIC wrote:@Mr. Murdock
Did you use any plugin or custom things like theme? Switch your psp to original and try the new release again. No plugin or something. It should work.
I know that plugins can cause problems, that's why I'm not using any ... but thx for the hint anyway!

hmm, can a custom theme cause problems? I never had any with my custom ones on Firmware 3.52. There I never used the original themes.

Yes, I'm using a custom theme. But Quake 1 ran with it without any problems a week ago, right after I flashed it. But I'll try n see whether this causes the problem ...
Okay, i like you and i tested another game on the new release (Jazz Jackrabbit) and *cry* i have the same problem. After the start of the game, i started a new game (in the menu of JJR) and after loading the level, my psp hangs and powered off after some seconds. This must be an error of the new build, i think. Or an error of an options which i activate in the config, but which? In the new year, i will test the game again but with other options.

Now, i lock out ;)
Last edited by aTomIC on Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I put of a new fixup.prx that fixes suspend. That's what I get for trying to take a shortcut.
I just flashed the original Flash0 of 3.71 but the error still persits. I noticed that other homebrew apps SEEM to be freezing, too ... like Quake 1 and SNES9xTYL 0.4.2 me ... other hombrews, like RIN, Duke3d, SCUMM VM 0.10.0 run fine ... strange thing! Okay, but it seems not to be an error limited to Dosbox!
I haven't seen anything like what you are describing. Although, I'm using 3.52 M33-4 not 3.71.
This must be an error of the new build, i think.
Make sure the build you are using has a date of Dec 30.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Okay, here i am :p...
Now, i downloaded the new eboot.pbp and the fixup.prx and Jazz runs without errors but a little bit slowlier like the prev. release.
crazyc wrote:Make sure the build you are using has a date of Dec 30.
of course, i use the latest build by you! ;)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

aTomIC wrote:Okay, here i am :p...
Now, i downloaded the new eboot.pbp and the fixup.prx and Jazz runs without errors but a little bit slowlier like the prev. release.
That's good to know. I don't know what would make this release slower then the last, there are no changes AFAICT that would cause that.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

aTomIC wrote:Okay, here i am :p...
crazyc wrote:Make sure the build you are using has a date of Dec 30.
of course, i use the latest build by you! ;)
hmm, I know I'm a little late ... as always :) But I can confirm what aTomIC is saying, the newer build of Dec 30 seems to be running stable, but I also have the impression that this release loads Warcraft slower than the last ... but I prefer to wait some more seconds than waiting forever in 9 of 10 cases like in the version before, because it switched off my PSP.

Anyway, I also can confirm your new prx working, since the sleep mode or standby or whatever worx like a charm now :)

I'll have to test the build some more to see whether it crashes other games, but somehow I doubt that I'll do this tonight ;)

Anyway, since the year is almost over and only a few hours are left, I wanted to say some final words to you crazyc ...

... thank you for Dosbox :) I hope you enjoyed coding it as much as I did examining it and playing around with it!

... sorry for the quarrel in the last thread! I think I'll leave it at that concerning this topic and look forward into a nice an productive new year!

... PLEASE, keep up the good work!

DAMNIT! right as I'm writing all this I notice that the new build still has the same error! Right now I had it when I took my PSP out of sleep mode. I put it into sleep mode when I successfully loaded Warcraft and it worked. I just sent an imp to the woods and put my psp to sleep. After I reactivated it, the imp wasn't moving anymore and the PSP was frozen. The only thing that worked was the HOME button. But when I used it and confirmed the question, the PSP finally entirely froze and shut off after about 10 seconds.

Now I loaded Warcraft again and it worx so far, no freezing. I got the PSP running and laying right beside me. I'll put it into speel now and see what happens ... froze again ... :( same error ... strange thing!

But why does this happen with SOME other homebres, too? May this be a problem with the 1.5 kernel addon?! I am not sure whether all the problematic games/emus use the new 3.xx kernel, but I honestly think so!
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

hm, it is strange. i copied the old package (which i played Jazz) and tested it on my psp. It runs. Okay, i copied your new eboot.pbp and fixup.prx (the exception.prx, too) to the jazz folder on my psp (copy over the old eboot.pbp) and ran the dosbox again. I let the settings of the game jazz the same like before. The old release was faster but instable, the new, latest are slowlier but stable. Its really strange. Okay, i like the slowlier, stable release then the faster but instable.

PS.:
Murdock wrote:But why does this happen with SOME other homebres, too? May this be a problem with the 1.5 kernel addon?! I am not sure whether all the problematic games/emus use the new 3.xx kernel, but I honestly think so!
Why do you upgrade your psp? New game that requires the higher firmware? Downgrade to 3.52-4 and you didn't have problems with 1.5 homebrews.

@Topic
I must say, i tested the new dosbox releases in my GAME352 folder not on GAME150. But i think, there is no different between the kernels, or?
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

aTomIC wrote:hm, it is strange. i copied the old package (which i played Jazz) and tested it on my psp. It runs. Okay, i copied your new eboot.pbp and fixup.prx (the exception.prx, too) to the jazz folder on my psp (copy over the old eboot.pbp) and ran the dosbox again. I let the settings of the game jazz the same like before. The old release was faster but instable, the new, latest are slowlier but stable. Its really strange. Okay, i like the slowlier, stable release then the faster but instable.
I entirely agree ... what have you done crazyc to improve the speed of this Nov. 26 build? I mean this seems to cause the problems, right? I mean I'm only an observer, but I definately get the impression that this is the case ...

ADDED:
Murdock wrote:But why does this happen with SOME other homebres, too? May this be a problem with the 1.5 kernel addon?! I am not sure whether all the problematic games/emus use the new 3.xx kernel, but I honestly think so!
Why do you upgrade your psp? New game that requires the higher firmware? Downgrade to 3.52-4 and you didn't have problems with 1.5 homebrews.[/quote]

I updated the Firmware because I wanted to play Wipeout Pulse :) It requires FW 3.71 ... I loved my 3.52 and I would never have updated if I hadn't been forced to ... :(

I don't think I'll downgrade again just to be forced to update again in a couple of weeks. I mean everyone has to upgrade sooner or later, right? So I decided to do it now because of a game I like. And when I do this, I don't spend another hour downgrading again, risking a brick.
atomic wrote:@Topic
I must say, i tested the new dosbox releases in my GAME352 folder not on GAME150. But i think, there is no different between the kernels, or?
hmm, theoredically, I think it should matter. Actually, I was wondering why it worked with both kernels. Why do homebrews being written for 3.xx kernels work with the 1.5 one?!

Anyway, I've tried the release in both folders, GAME150 and GAME371 ... always the same.

This is very very strange, I have to admit!

[EDIT]: I uploaded my DosBox PSP release for u crazyc ... I don't know whether u like Windows 3.11 on PSP, but if u do, try this DOsbox. I only added a few games in the pure DOS Emulation and Win 3.11 has no games, but still, maybe u find the menu and stuff usefull:
http://rapidshare.com/files/80359312/Do ... dition.rar

It's password protected, because I do not want to upload copyright protected content for everyone available. PW is pm'ed to u ...
raulpica

Post by raulpica »

Eniko wrote:Thanks for the new release. For whatever reason this one seems to run a lot better on my slim.

I'm running into a problem with Ultima6 though, when I try to save:

Code: Select all

DISK ERROR!!!!
Function: 7,
error: 2, file:
savegameobjblkBC.tmp
And that basically corrupts the savegame. Works fine on Dosbox PC. Any ideas what this might be or how it's fixable? I assume it's a problem with writing to the memory stick.
Yay another Ultima6 fan like me :)

I think it's something related to paths. Try yo make a smaller path, like U6 in the root of the MS. I've never tried to save because I couldn't found CTRL+S xD So I can't say if it works on an older version.
Eniko

Post by Eniko »

Well, I just tried that, even going as far as running the installer before the game, but same thing. I've tried just about everything I could think of by now.

In case you were interested though, CTRL+S is Square + Left, then Square. Then Y is Left and then Up, in case you wanted to test this.

Shame I can't get it working, basically means U6 is as of yet unplayable.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Murdock wrote:DAMNIT! right as I'm writing all this I notice that the new build still has the same error! Right now I had it when I took my PSP out of sleep mode. I put it into sleep mode when I successfully loaded Warcraft and it worked. I just sent an imp to the woods and put my psp to sleep.
I fixed this problem but ran into an completely different and more stubborn problem that freezes the PSP after suspending twice. It's probably take a little time for me to fix it.
It's probably to many open files on the memory stick again. You'll probably have to use imgmount to get around it.
Eniko

Post by Eniko »

Well, I tried using imgmount but it still errored out. I'm not an expert on dosbox so I might've been doing something wrong, but doesn't making the app an iso and using imgmount preclude saving entirely because it won't be able to write to the files? Or is there some way to use imgmount so it can? x_x

EDIT: Well I tried all night to create a HDD image using bximage, dosbox, a dos6.22 boot disk, and both Disk Explorer and WinImage. No matter what I do, despite it mounting fine on my PC I keep getting a "can't create drive from file" error on PSP. I give up.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Eniko wrote:Or is there some way to use imgmount so it can? x_x
If you want to try one more thing, tell me what the size of your memory stick is.
Eniko

Post by Eniko »

It's a 4gb stick. 4,094,623,744 bytes to be exact. >_>
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Eniko wrote:It's a 4gb stick. 4,094,623,744 bytes to be exact. >_>
Hmm, thats huge. Imgmounting the memory stick is safe, I'm 98% sure, but it hasn't been tested as much as I'd like. Unless it's simple for you to backup to the contents or you have a smaller stick, you probably shouldn't try it.
raulpica

Post by raulpica »

Eniko wrote:Well, I just tried that, even going as far as running the installer before the game, but same thing. I've tried just about everything I could think of by now.

In case you were interested though, CTRL+S is Square + Left, then Square. Then Y is Left and then Up, in case you wanted to test this.

Tested it on an older version (Sep. 9). Same error... Also forgot to make a backup of my saves (lol) imported from PC Dosbox.

I don't mind about trying IMGMOUNTing, I have a 2gb stick, and it wouldn't be a problem to back it up, but I don't know the exact command to do it :)
Eniko

Post by Eniko »

Well I'm willing to back up my memory stick to give mounting it a go, see how stable that works and all. Just need to know how to do it.

I'm really mystified as to why I'm having so much trouble creating/mounting images. I've just got done trying to partition and format the image on my PSP, thinking maybe that'd help, but when I try to format DOS6.22 using "format c: /s" I get an error "invalid drive specification". So I think the only choice left is seeing if mounting the memstick works.
bob

Post by bob »

Using QuickView I was able to run divx/xvid files.

Of course its unwatchably slow but pic and sound are there.

Sorry for the noise and thanks for your hard work crazyc.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

Eniko wrote:So I think the only choice left is seeing if mounting the memstick works.
I started to write a description of how to do it, but it is a pain. I'm going to try and find out how to autodectect the memstick size. That will make it much easier.
DarthGameR

HOW DO I MAP PAD BUTTONS?

Post by DarthGameR »

i want to map pad to directional buttons (up:pad 8, down:pad 2, right:pad 9, left:pad 7) how can i do that?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

I put up a new build which attempts to auto calculate the cylinder,head,sector values. The result should have a number of sectors just slightly less then the actual on the disk. Hopefully it will also be larger then the first partition, but if not it won't be terrible as dosbox only uses CHS for int 13h operations which very few apps use. In short, don't try to run fdisk from within dosbox. To do it run "imgmount <drive> msstor0: -t hdd -fs fat".
i want to map pad to directional buttons (up:pad 8, down:pad 2, right:pad 9, left:pad 7) how can i do that?
n1-n9 are the numpad numbers and n/, n*, n-, n+, nenter and n. are the other pad keys. Numlock may be an issue, try it and see.
aTomIC

Post by aTomIC »

Hm, i think this release is slower than the previous. The loading times in game are longer than before, but i found no bugs, yet. THX for every release, CrazyC
phosphorous

Post by phosphorous »

crazyc wrote:There are probably changes i've made to my toolchain that will cause this to fail, so post if there are other problems.
I'm on a Mac. I applied the patch and ran configure:

CXXFLAGS='-I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/include/SDL -fomit-frame-pointer -Os -frename-registers -finline -finline-limit=200 -msingle-float -ffast-math fsingle-precision-constant' LDFLAGS='-lc -lpspuser -lpspkernel -L/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib' ./configure --host=psp
The build died w/ the following error:
../../include/cross.h: In function 'float powf(float, float)':
../../include/cross.h:66: error: 'float powf(float, float)' was declared 'extern' and later 'static'
/usr/local/pspdev/lib/gcc/psp/4.1.0/../../../../psp/include/math.h:263: error: previous declaration of 'float powf(float, float)'
make[4]: *** [cpu.o] Error 1
So I commented out the offending line in cross.h and then built again, the next error was:
../../include/fpu.h:52: error: 'Real32' does not name a type
make[4]: *** [core_full.o] Error 1
I changed that line to:

typedef float FVAL;
Next error was:
dos_programs.cpp: In member function 'virtual void IMGMOUNT::Run()':
dos_programs.cpp:1053: error: 'O_RDONLY' was not declared in this scope
dos_programs.cpp:1053: error: 'open' was not declared in this scope
dos_programs.cpp:1087: error: 'O_RDONLY' was not declared in this scope
dos_programs.cpp:1087: error: 'open' was not declared in this scope
make[3]: *** [dos_programs.o] Error 1
I added this line:

#include <sys/fcntl.h>
Next error:
drive_local.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool localFile::Write(Bit8u*, Bit16u*)':
drive_local.cpp:459: error: 'ftruncate' was not declared in this scope
make[3]: *** [drive_local.o] Error 1
Added:

#include "../ftruncate.c"
Note that the link to ftruncate.c earlier in the thread is broken (it's just a typo, I downloaded the correct file.)

I'm now stuck with this error:
../ftruncate.c: In function 'int ftruncate(int, off_t)':
../ftruncate.c:45: error: 'truncate' was not declared in this scope
phosphorous

Post by phosphorous »

I still need help w/ the truncate issue but uncovered another error. After adding a few more hacks to get the build to continue, I'm stuck again here:
sdlmain.cpp:83:20: error: me_rpc.h: No such file or directory
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

phosphorous wrote:../../include/cross.h: In function 'float powf(float, float)':
../../include/cross.h:66: error: 'float powf(float, float)' was declared 'extern' and later 'static'
/usr/local/pspdev/lib/gcc/psp/4.1.0/../../../../psp/include/math.h:263: error: previous declaration of 'float powf(float, float)'
make[4]: *** [cpu.o] Error 1
Odd, DB_HAVE_NO_POWF should not be set in config.h.
phosphorous wrote:So I commented out the offending line in cross.h and then built again, the next error was:
../../include/fpu.h:52: error: 'Real32' does not name a type
make[4]: *** [core_full.o] Error 1
I changed that line to:

typedef float FVAL;
My fault, I defined Real32 in config.h.
phosphorous wrote:
dos_programs.cpp: In member function 'virtual void IMGMOUNT::Run()':
dos_programs.cpp:1053: error: 'O_RDONLY' was not declared in this scope
dos_programs.cpp:1053: error: 'open' was not declared in this scope
dos_programs.cpp:1087: error: 'O_RDONLY' was not declared in this scope
dos_programs.cpp:1087: error: 'open' was not declared in this scope
make[3]: *** [dos_programs.o] Error 1
I added this line:

#include <sys/fcntl.h>
]
Fair enough
phosphorous wrote:
drive_local.cpp: In member function 'virtual bool localFile::Write(Bit8u*, Bit16u*)':
drive_local.cpp:459: error: 'ftruncate' was not declared in this scope
Added:

#include "../ftruncate.c"
Note that the link to ftruncate.c earlier in the thread is broken (it's just a typo, I downloaded the correct file.)

I'm now stuck with this error:
../ftruncate.c: In function 'int ftruncate(int, off_t)':
../ftruncate.c:45: error: 'truncate' was not declared in this scope
truncate's prototye is in unistd.h but it's defined out.
phosphorous wrote:sdlmain.cpp:83:20: error: me_rpc.h: No such file or directory
My fault, this line should be commented out.
pspfreak2008

Post by pspfreak2008 »

hi,
i can't mount ms0:/ as d: .
Why isn't it possible, is something wrong with this?
mount d ms0:/ -t dir
Wally

Post by Wally »

pspfreak2008 wrote:hi,
why are you mounting as -t dir?

try just mount d ms0:/
phosphorous

Post by phosphorous »

crazyc wrote:truncate's prototye is in unistd.h but it's defined out.
Ok, I wasn't sure what to do here so I just pulled the prototype out of the ifdef in unistd.h and the file compiled.
crazyc wrote:My fault, this line should be commented out.
Commented it out and the build continued. Next error was:
cdrom_image.cpp: In function 'std::string dirname(char*)':
cdrom_image.cpp:395: error: new declaration 'std::string dirname(char*)'
/usr/local/pspdev/lib/gcc/psp/4.1.0/../../../../psp/include/libgen.h:16: error: ambiguates old declaration 'char* dirname(char*)'
cdrom_image.cpp:395: error: 'std::string dirname(char*)' was declared 'extern' and later 'static'
/usr/local/pspdev/lib/gcc/psp/4.1.0/../../../../psp/include/libgen.h:16: error: previous declaration of 'char* dirname(char*)'
make[3]: *** [cdrom_image.o] Error 1
Since it was inline I just renamed the function to dir_name. The build finished.

I then compiled the remaining files:

psp-g++ -I. -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -G0 -Wall -O2 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti   -c -o ftruncate.o ftruncate.c
psp-g++ -I. -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -G0 -Wall -O2 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti   -c -o p_sprint.o p_sprint.c
and got an error:
p_sprint.c: In function 'void DrawHint(const keycodes*, unsigned char*, int)':
p_sprint.c:245: error: invalid conversion from 'const unsigned char*' to 'char*'
So I just added a cast and recompiled:

string = &#40;char*&#41;buttons&#91;j&#93;.label;
Finally I ran the link command in the last step and got a number of linker errors:

psp-gcc -L/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib -o dosbox  dosbox.o ftruncate.o cpu/libcpu.a debug/libdebug.a dos/libdos.a fpu/libfpu.a  hardware/libhardware.a gui/libgui.a ints/libints.a misc/libmisc.a shell/libshell.a -lm hardware/serialport/libserial.a p_sprint.o -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lstdc++ -lpspirkeyb -lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpsppower -lpsputility -lpspuser -lpspkernel -specs=/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib/prxspecs -Wl,-T/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib/linkfile.prx,-q && psp-fixup-imports dosbox && psp-prxgen dosbox dosbox.prx && pack-pbp EBOOT.PBP PARAM.SFO NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL dosbox.prx NULL
ftruncate.o: In function `ftruncate(int, long)':
ftruncate.c:(.text+0x70): undefined reference to `truncate(char const*, long)'

dos/libdos.a(dos_programs.o): In function `ResolveHomedir(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&)':
dos_programs.cpp:(.text+0xcfc): undefined reference to `getpwnam'

gui/libgui.a(sdlmain.o): In function `psp_power_callback':
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xb4): undefined reference to `cache_initialized'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xb4): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_GPREL16 against `cache_initialized'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xc4): undefined reference to `cache_free_memory()'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xc8): undefined reference to `cache_initialized'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xc8): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_GPREL16 against `cache_initialized'

gui/libgui.a(sdlmain.o): In function `GFX_Events()':
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xc90): undefined reference to `p_spReadKey'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xe60): undefined reference to `cache_init(bool)'

gui/libgui.a(render.o): In function `RENDER_EndUpdate()':
render.cpp:(.text+0xc8): undefined reference to `p_spGetHintList'

shell/libshell.a(shell_cmds.o): In function `DOS_Shell::CMD_SUBST(char*)':
shell_cmds.cpp:(.text+0x34b0): relocation truncated to fit: R_MIPS_GPREL16 against `typeinfo for int'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
pspfreak2008

Post by pspfreak2008 »

hi,
why are you mounting as -t dir?

try just mount d ms0:/
oh i've forgotten to wrote that i've done this already. And it didn't work.
Sorry for my bad english.