dosbox, now with 100% less drama

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

umpa

Post by umpa »

DanielC wrote:
umpa wrote:Like this ? [image]

With mouse support ?
Sure, why not? It'd be nice. Let us know when you code that and release it =)
No this is for example . I'm not a programmer. This is from Pspvice
DanielC

Post by DanielC »

umpa wrote:No this is for example . I'm not a programmer. This is from Pspvice
Oh ok, my mistake. Sadly neither am I (yet). CrazyC has been silent for close to a month now, I think this software is in danger of becomming vapourware....

...well, his sourcecode in patch form is right there on the first post, i'm surprised nobody has taken up the project. I'm seriously considering learning C++ JUST so I can continue this work... the main feat I think is that he ported the dynamic recompiler core to the PSP, I think that's amazing. But even then - the fact that I can't even compile it without errors has kinda turned me off the idea (and the dev has been reluctant to share his Linux/OS distro/version).

I really don't know why nobody else HAS worked on this, I guess nobody on the forums is really interested in emulating DOS on the Sony PSP hardware. Maybe it's impossible to optimize it beyond ~80286 speeds....

....286 or not, DOS is amazing in any form and a 286 can still do a LOT of nifty things. ZZT (a personal love of mine) runs on a 286 superbly, but this simultaneous file limit causes it to crash with read-only file errors....

...ah well, I havn't given up hope. Yet.
Regards,
Daniel C
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

DanielC wrote:CrazyC has been silent for close to a month now, I think this software is in danger of becomming vapourware....
read what he's said about the project all the time ... simply READ ... he's most of the time busy with his life and work ... so it takes time ... he won't abandon this, I think. But it's his HOBBY! So be patient!

DanielC wrote: I really don't know why nobody else HAS worked on this, I guess nobody on the forums is really interested in emulating DOS on the Sony PSP hardware. Maybe it's impossible to optimize it beyond ~80286 speeds....
... maybe we simply don't have the skillz to pick this up (like u, too, obviously!) ... rofl ... just NOW starting to learn a language to work on this might enable you to do what you are trying to learn for in about 10 to 15 years I suppose ... Crazy must have been practicing for years, gathering his knowledge by and by ...

DanielC wrote: ....286 or not, DOS is amazing in any form and a 286 can still do a LOT of nifty things. ZZT (a personal love of mine) runs on a 286 superbly, but this simultaneous file limit causes it to crash with read-only file errors....
In deed it is! :) I was able to get so many games of my 386 days back to life on it, it's simply amazing. It'd just need some optimizations in performance. UNfortunately, this is not Crazy's main goal ... :( I can only hope he's ginna change his mind.

Hey crazy, aren't u American? I'm in the US right now, for three months! :) Where do ya live? I'm gonna be in L.A. for two weeks, right now we are in Abilene, Tx.

XD

Greetings!
DanielC

Post by DanielC »

Murdock wrote:read what he's said about the project all the time ... simply READ ... he's most of the time busy with his life and work ... so it takes time ... he won't abandon this, I think. But it's his HOBBY! So be patient!
Of this I am aware... it's why some of us have offered donations =P lol. Yeah well I understand it well, things take time... just excited is all!

Murdock wrote:... maybe we simply don't have the skillz to pick this up (like u, too, obviously!)
Good point... programming emulation is pretty complex.
Murdock wrote: ... rofl ... just NOW starting to learn a language to work on this might enable you to do what you are trying to learn for in about 10 to 15 years I suppose ...
Yeah... I wont bother =\ ... I was just thinking that, if only I could compile it properly, I could fix some of the minor bugs (for example, a standalone INPUTMAP SWITCH command to simulate the keycombo, because INPUTMAP EXEC is buggy) looking at the patch code and with common logic - comparing with the keycombo and the creation of Z:\ commands, I think the code I added to the patchfile should already work. But, I Can't compile it. Meh. inputmap exec causes many games to crash, but using the keycombo is only a minor annoyance anyway. This is always expected of prototype software =) I wasn't trying to complain there, just making a point is all.

Murdock wrote:It'd just need some optimizations in performance. UNfortunately, this is not Crazy's main goal ... :( I can only hope he's ginna change his mind.
I think the speed issues are mainly #1 the dynarec core (it could do with optimization apparently, a mate of mine looked at the code and although he couldnt understand most of it he said there were a lot of unelegant hacks in there - but thats expected with cowboy programming such as a DOS Emulator on a hacked console anyway haha) (EDIT: Definately NOT trying to criticise there!) and #2 the filesystem, using image files is a lot faster for FAT32 sticks (I tested PCPBENCH loading at cycles=3500; folder mounting took ~8 seconds to load and with imgmount it took ~4 secs) but the read-only issue of images kinda cripples it.

I can't remember if CrazyC said or not, I think the dynarec core is in pure MIPS assembly....? Amazing....

Regardless, glad to see you're still around Murdock =)

EDIT: I appear to have completely missed a post CrazyC made...
crazyc wrote:You probably haven't installed sdl for psp (I removed all dependencies on sdl but configure still wants it). I actually did most of my development on a windows x64 machine but with msys not cygwin. If I had to recommend a linux disto, I'd say Ubuntu, especially for a neophyte
I'm an idiot.
01) I had SDL installed, but not the PSP port/build of it.
02) I was whinging about crazyc not sharing his dev environment, now I know he uses MSYS...
Sorry guys T_T *gets to work and research*
Regards,
Daniel C
Wally

Post by Wally »

Dosbox .73 is out, hopefully we'll see another port :D

Support for more graphics modes and cards.
Improved Vista support.
New OPL emulation cores.
Sound fixes and improvements for Mac OS X.
Lots of compatibility fixes.
Lots of cdrom detection improvements.
Lots of memory (EMS/XMS) improvements.
Various fixes and enhancements for the recompiling core.
Support for evdev.
Lots of DOS fixes.
Slightly faster!
More stable.
DanielC

Post by DanielC »

Wally wrote:Dosbox .73 is out, hopefully we'll see another port :D
Mighty speedy update there Wally! This is quite a major release, there are a few things that'd help the PSP port...

Various fixes and improvements for the recompiling core
- Speed!

Don't keep batchfiles open during execution. Allows rewriting of the active batchfile.
- Current simultaneous file limit we experience is crippled by this, calling a game from a BAT file for example...

Ah, there have been lots of VESA improvements too. Guess i'll give Redneck Rampage a go on my PC and see if 640x480 is better in the FPS department =)
Regards,
Daniel C
umpa

Post by umpa »

Great !! Someone can port this for Psp? Crazy C ?
bulldog

RE: HOWTO run DOSbox on both PSP and PC with HDM menu system

Post by bulldog »

I would like to invite everyone to read my howto on configuring DOSBox for both the PC and the PSP using the PSP memory card. This allows you to do software installs and configuring on the PC and then once a game is working, you can play it on the PSP. It also explains how to configure the HDM menu system for launching the games with batch files. Here is the link to my howto post:

Bulldog's HOWTO run DOSBox on both the PSP and the PC

Please, check it out and let me know what you think!
--Bulldog
"I appear here and there, now and then, to this one and that one. A benign but mischievous creature. Very fond of rumpots, crackpots, and how are you, Mr. Wilson?"
tanweeho

Help needed to compile dosbox

Post by tanweeho »

Hi people, I am thinking of compiling my own Dosbox to get my hands dirty.

I have msys/mingw and downloaded the pspsdk0.95 from project minpspw (instead of using psptoolchain).

So far, I have passed the "make" portion but when I issue this

Code: Select all

psp-gcc -L/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib -o dosbox  dosbox.o ftruncate.o cpu/libcpu.a debug/libdebug.a dos/libdos.a fpu/libfpu.a  hardware/libhardware.a gui/libgui.a ints/libints.a misc/libmisc.a shell/libshell.a -lm -lz hardware/serialport/libserial.a p_sprint.o -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lstdc++ -lpspirkeyb -lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpsppower -lpsputility -lpspuser -lpspkernel -specs=/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib/prxspecs -Wl,-T/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib/linkfile.prx,-q && psp-fixup-imports dosbox && psp-prxgen dosbox dosbox.prx && pack-pbp EBOOT.PBP PARAM.SFO NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL dosbox.prx NULL
It gives me

../../../../pspsdk/src/startup/crt0_prx.c:91: undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
And if I use the flag "-mno-crt0 -nostartfiles" to attempt to eliminate this "crt0_prx" problem, I get

d:/pspdev/bin/../lib/gcc/psp/4.3.3/../../../../psp/bin/ld.exe: warning: cannot find entry symbol module_start; defaultin
g to 0000000000000000
cpu/libcpu.a(paging.o): In function `global constructors keyed to paging':
paging.cpp:(.text+0x458): undefined reference to `__dso_handle'
paging.cpp:(.text+0x470): undefined reference to `__dso_handle'
dos/libdos.a(dos_memory.o): In function `global constructors keyed to DOS_FreeProcessMemory(unsigned short)':
dos_memory.cpp:(.text+0x48): undefined reference to `__dso_handle'
dos_memory.cpp:(.text+0x54): undefined reference to `__dso_handle'
dos/libdos.a(dos_misc.o): In function `global constructors keyed to DOS_AddMultiplexHandler(bool (*)())':
dos_misc.cpp:(.text+0x68): undefined reference to `__dso_handle'
dos/libdos.a(dos_misc.o):dos_misc.cpp:(.text+0x74): more undefined references to `__dso_handle' follow
Would appreciate any help!
Thanks!
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

good luck with the project, it would be nice to see this resurrected
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

main is in src/gui/sdlmain.cpp. Make sure it's getting compiled.
tanweeho

Post by tanweeho »

Good to hear from you again, CrazyC. Glad that you still drop by once a while.
Ah... yes, I guessed it as much as the sdlmain class is the only one out of the whole project with the main method.
Now, if I have the sdlmain.o after the "make", does that mean it is compiled successfully?
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

When you compile it does the gcc command line contain -Dmain=SDL_main?
tanweeho

Post by tanweeho »

Yes, there is. The "-Dmain" flag is all over in the makefile.

During compilation of sdlmain.cpp, the message shown is

if psp-g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..  -I../../include -Id:/pspdev/psp/include/SDL -Dmain=SDL_main   -G0 -I/pspdev/
psp/sdk/include -I/pspdev/psp/include/SDL -fomit-frame-pointer -Os -frename-registers -finline -finline-limit=200 -msing
le-float -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant -I/pspdev/psp/include/SDL  -MT sdlmain.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/sdlmain.Tpo
" \
          -c -o sdlmain.o `test -f 'sdlmain.cpp' || echo './'`sdlmain.cpp; \
        then mv -f ".deps/sdlmain.Tpo" ".deps/sdlmain.Po"; \
        else rm -f ".deps/sdlmain.Tpo"; exit 1; \
        fi
Btw, at the end of make, I get

psp-g++  -G0 -I/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -I/pspdev/psp/include/SDL -fomit-frame-pointer -Os -frename-registers -finline -f
inline-limit=200 -msingle-float -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant -I/pspdev/psp/include/SDL   -lc -lz -lpspuser -l
pspkernel -L/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib -o dosbox  dosbox.o cpu/libcpu.a debug/libdebug.a dos/libdos.a fpu/libfpu.a  hardware/li
bhardware.a gui/libgui.a ints/libints.a misc/libmisc.a shell/libshell.a hardware/serialport/libserial.a  -lm  -Ld:/pspde
v/psp/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -lm -lGL -lpspvfpu -Ld:/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspge -lpspdisplay -
lpsphprm -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lc -lpspuser -lpsputility -lpspkernel -lpspnet_inet  -lpng -lz -lGL
d:/pspdev/psp/lib\libSDLmain.a(SDL_psp_main.o): In function `sdl_psp_setup_callbacks':
psp/SDL_psp_main.c:71: multiple definition of `module_info'
gui/libgui.a(sdlmain.o):(.rodata.sceModuleInfo+0x0): first defined here
dos/libdos.a(dos_programs.o): In function `SYSOPT::Run()':
dos_programs.cpp:(.text+0x1684): undefined reference to `scePowerSetClockFrequency'
dos_programs.cpp:(.text+0x1698): undefined reference to `scePowerGetCpuClockFrequency'
dos/libdos.a(drive_local.o): In function `localFile::Write(unsigned char*, unsigned short*)':
drive_local.cpp:(.text+0x68c): undefined reference to `ftruncate'
gui/libgui.a(sdlmain.o): In function `psp_callback_thread':
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0x3c): undefined reference to `scePowerRegisterCallback'
gui/libgui.a(sdlmain.o): In function `SDL_main':
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0x6c8): undefined reference to `pspIrKeybFinish'
gui/libgui.a(sdlmain.o): In function `GFX_Events()':
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0xef8): undefined reference to `pspIrKeybReadinput'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0x10c0): undefined reference to `p_spReadKey'
gui/libgui.a(sdlmain.o): In function `GUI_StartUp(Section*)':
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0x138c): undefined reference to `pspIrKeybInit'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0x13c4): undefined reference to `pspIrKeybOutputMode'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0x13cc): undefined reference to `pspIrKeybFinish'
sdlmain.cpp:(.text+0x13d4): undefined reference to `pspIrKeybFinish'
gui/libgui.a(render.o): In function `RENDER_EndUpdate()':
render.cpp:(.text+0xd0): undefined reference to `p_spGetHintList'
d:/pspdev/psp/lib\libc.a(setsockopt.o): In function `setsockopt':
../../../../../../../newlib-1.17.0/newlib/libc/sys/psp/socket.c:293: undefined reference to `sceNetInetSetsockopt'
../../../../../../../newlib-1.17.0/newlib/libc/sys/psp/socket.c:296: undefined reference to `sceNetInetGetErrno'
d:/pspdev/psp/lib\libc.a(setsockopt.o): In function `getsockopt':
../../../../../../../newlib-1.17.0/newlib/libc/sys/psp/socket.c:167: undefined reference to `sceNetInetGetsockopt'
../../../../../../../newlib-1.17.0/newlib/libc/sys/psp/socket.c:170: undefined reference to `sceNetInetGetErrno'
make[3]: *** [dosbox] Error 1
Is this normal? I interpret the error above as what you meant by "failed link" in your compilation instruction.
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

tanweeho wrote:Yes, there is. The "-Dmain" flag is all over in the makefile.
The simplest way to fix this is to remove that parameter from the Makefile in the gui directory. Then the undefined reference error should go away.
Is this normal? I interpret the error above as what you meant by "failed link" in your compilation instruction.
Yes.
tanweeho

Success!!

Post by tanweeho »

You are great, CrazyC!

I finally got it working! But like most others, I also got the 8002013 error. But mrgrayson's suggestion to comment out some codes in the sdlmain.cpp helps.

With minpspw, it's now much easier to write a step-by-step guide (which I am going to do) to help those who also want to build their own copy of PSP version Dosbox.
ReCreate

Yes, I registered JUST to post this reply...

Post by ReCreate »

Hey, Where can i get the source code of the ported one?
I really can't read through the last 16 Pages worth of posts to find the source code download link.
Is this still alive, Is The original Creator even still alive?
~ReCreate
(New Member on the Loose)
tanweeho

Post by tanweeho »

After this exercise, I have more or less the ported source code. I'd love to share it too. But before that, I would like to seek CrazyC's permission or opinion before I do so.
(CrazyC, I have PMed you.)
crazyc

Post by crazyc »

tanweeho wrote:After this exercise, I have more or less the ported source code. I'd love to share it too. But before that, I would like to seek CrazyC's permission or opinion before I do so.
Go ahead.
tanweeho

Here goes...

Post by tanweeho »

The steps below is for Windows. It should not be difficult for those who knows how to setup msys for other operating systems.

1a. Goto http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
1b. Download the msys executable for Windows. (I had msys-1.0.11.exe)
1c. Download the msysDTK executable. (I had msysDTK-1.0.1.exe)
1d. Download msysCORE. (I had msysCORE-1.0.11-bin.tar.gz)
1e. Download binutils for mingw. (I had binutils-2.19.1-mingw32-bin.tar.gz)
1f. Download mingwrt for mingw. (I had mingwrt-3.15.2-mingw32-dev.tar.gz)
1g. Download gcc-core for mingw. (I had gcc-core-4.4.0-mingw32-bin.tar.gz)
1h. Download w32api for mingw. (I had w32api-3.13-mingw32-dev.tar.gz)
1i. Download pspsdk from http://minpspw.sourceforge.net/. (I had pspsdk-setup-0.9.5.exe)
1j. Finally, download the ported source I have prepared from http://web.newsguy.com/bupoontheloose/d ... 71.psp.rar

2a. Install msys to c:\msys (not c:\msys\1.0).
2b. During the prompt for post install, press 'n'. Note that a msys icon will be created on your desktop.
2c. Install msysDTK to c:\msys.

3. Extract (winrar) all the gz files (eg. msysCore, binutils, mingwrt, gcc-core and w32api) to c:\msys.

4. Run msys for the 1st time. This will create a user (based on your Windows login-id) account and directory in c:\msys. Close the msys window.

5. Install pspdev to c:\pspdev.

6. In c:\msys\etc, create a new file fstab. Enter

c:/pspdev	/pspdev
7. Create an empty directory c:\msys\pspdev.

8. Extract source into c:\msys\home\<user> where <user> is your msys account.

9. Now, run msys. Notice that the prompt has the tilda "~". Tilda is a shortcut to your home directory in Unix term.
From the prompt, type and enter:

cd dosbox*
And then:

CXXFLAGS='-G0 -I/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -I/pspdev/psp/include/SDL -fomit-frame-pointer -Os -frename-registers -finline -finline-limit=200 -msingle-float -ffast-math -fsingle-precision-constant -I/pspdev/psp/include/SDL' LDFLAGS='-lc -lz -lpspuser -lpspkernel -L/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib' ./configure --host=psp
10. In c:\msys\home\<user>\dosbox-0.71.psp\, replace the existing config.h with config.crazyzc.h.

11. In c:\msys\home\<user>\dosbox-0.71.psp\src\gui\. Open the Makefile with your favorite text editor and remove all instances of "-Dmain=SDL_main".

12. Back to the msys prompt (make sure you are still in the ~/dosbox-0.71.psp dir), type and enter the following commands in sequence:

make
At the end of the make routine, it should end with some error like:

collect2&#58; ld returned 1 exit status
make&#91;3&#93;&#58; *** &#91;dosbox&#93; Error 1
make&#91;3&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/robintan/dosbox-0.71.psp/src'
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; *** &#91;all-recursive&#93; Error 1
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/robintan/dosbox-0.71.psp/src'
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; *** &#91;all-recursive&#93; Error 1
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/robintan/dosbox-0.71.psp'
make&#58; *** &#91;all&#93; Error 2
Not to worry too much about it. Continue with:

cd src

make -f Makefile2

mksfo 'DOSBOX' PARAM.SFO

psp-gcc -L/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib -o dosbox  dosbox.o ftruncate.o cpu/libcpu.a debug/libdebug.a dos/libdos.a fpu/libfpu.a  hardware/libhardware.a gui/libgui.a ints/libints.a misc/libmisc.a shell/libshell.a -lm -lz hardware/serialport/libserial.a p_sprint.o -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lstdc++ -lpspirkeyb -lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpsppower -lpsputility -lpspuser -lpspkernel -specs=/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib/prxspecs -Wl,-Tc&#58;/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib/linkfile.prx,-q && psp-fixup-imports dosbox && psp-prxgen dosbox dosbox.prx && pack-pbp EBOOT.PBP PARAM.SFO NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL dosbox.prx NULL
13. If the message ends with something like:

&#91;0&#93;        408 bytes | PARAM.SFO
&#91;1&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;2&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;3&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;4&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;5&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;6&#93;    1819802 bytes | dosbox.prx
&#91;7&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
You have your EBOOT.PBP now! (Surely, you know what to do with this file!?)

Credit goes to:
CrazyC (for making the PSP version of Dosbox possible),
and others who had participated and contributed ideas in this forum (aTomIC, mrgrayson, phosphorous, etc).
Weaver1497

Post by Weaver1497 »

For those of us which are less educated (and I'm a Mac User) would it be possible tanweeho for you to post the latest EBOOT? Or a link to it? I would love to see if there is a speed increase on some of my favorite games. This is one of my favorite emulators as these old DOS games bring back great memories.
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

Step 3.
I`m need to overwrite old files when extracting gz archives?

Step 9.
Can`t proceed this step because of error "C compiler cannot create executables". There 2 dll files that was missing - libgmp-3.dll, libmpfr-1.dll

And from where it takes a win profile name to create a dir in /home?
olesolo

Post by olesolo »

Hmm.. stange. After I reinstall all msys dir this error disappeared but Makefile is empty after step 9!
I have a "&" symbol in my Windows profile name. My be it somehow involved?
tanweeho

Post by tanweeho »

If you want the original EBOOT, get it from the first post of this thread.
Weaver1497 wrote:For those of us which are less educated (and I'm a Mac User) would it be possible tanweeho for you to post the latest EBOOT? Or a link to it? I would love to see if there is a speed increase on some of my favorite games. This is one of my favorite emulators as these old DOS games bring back great memories.
tanweeho

Post by tanweeho »

Post any error or message from after step 9 and let's see how we can help.
olesolo wrote:Hmm.. stange. After I reinstall all msys dir this error disappeared but Makefile is empty after step 9!
I have a "&" symbol in my Windows profile name. My be it somehow involved?
tanweeho

PSP port from 0.73

Post by tanweeho »

Out of curiosity , I have done a superficial port of PSP dosbox from ver 0.73.
Superficial because I have done nothing to change the unique routines (written by CrazyC) that gives the psp dosbox life. Those codes are beyond me now, so do not expect any performance improvement though.

It is buggy, I think... as I only have a handful of old DOS games to test with.

Codes is available at
http://web.newsguy.com/bupoontheloose/d ... 090913.rar

And dosbox.conf is available at
http://web.newsguy.com/bupoontheloose/dosbox.073.conf
(Remember to rename it to dosbox.conf.)

My EBOOT seems to crash when I set "machine=vgaonly" or "core=dynamic". Other than that, best to leave the parameters "auto" whenever possible.
hereticus

the dosbox patch

Post by hereticus »

Hi all, I just would like to ask a question. How do I install the patch for dosbox and how do I map the numpad keys? I really appreciate any help you can give me.
Murdock

Re: PSP port from 0.73

Post by Murdock »

tanweeho wrote:Out of curiosity , I have done a superficial port of PSP dosbox from ver 0.73.

Hey!

Sounds nice ... I'd give it a shot, but I am by far not experienced enough to compile this stuff ...

could u just upload ur eboot?

I'd try it and compare the results with games that run on the latest version of CrazyC ...

@Crazy ... hey! What r u doing atm? Been an eternity since we read sth. new about our favourite app 4 the psp...
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

crazyc wrote:
tanweeho wrote:After this exercise, I have more or less the ported source code. I'd love to share it too. But before that, I would like to seek CrazyC's permission or opinion before I do so.
Go ahead.
Woo! He's alive! :P
On the other hand, he would be forced to do so because dosbox was open source in the first place, and because of the EULA or whatever it comes with.
And just in case if anyone is wondering, the maximum memory size to be used in dosbox is 16 MB on a PSP slim with 64 MB of ram.
(New Member on the Loose)
andwan0

Post by andwan0 »

I've been playing oldskool 1990 PC games on my PSP (via PSX ports or SCUMMVM or even Amiga ports). DOSBox and DOS emulation on PSP is way too slow. Even FreeDOS on bochs emulator is still slow (well it's not slow to run DOS and use DOS but it's slow to run the DOS games under DOSBox or FreeDOS on PSP).

So I was thinking... PSP is a 333MHz MIPS machine. Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a x86 portable device as small as PSP? Am not talking about laptops. If we took a x86 motherboard and shrunk it down to the size of a PSP... then using the Memory Pro Duo or MicroSD as the hard drive... and have USB or PS/2 ports for the mouse & keyboard... and the small LCD screen. then the power consumption would be similar to that of PSP... and can use a small 9V battery. Then can install/use MS-DOS natively and play all oldskool 1990 MS-DOS games like Alien Carnage, Duke Nukem series, and many more.

I read an article of some guy made a portable PS2 virtually similar size as the PSP. If he could do that then one could do a self project in making a x86 portable gaming device size of a PSP too.

Would this be feasible? Does anyone know about x86 motherboards, batteries, LCDs, storage (Memory Pro Duo / MicroSD), PS/2 or USB connections, etc)?