A new port of uClinux on PSP (with accessibility to ms0)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jimparis

Re: add the vmlinux.bin build to the buildroot framework

Post by jimparis »

M.Jackson wrote: Unfortunately, the driver is only compatible with the MS PRO series (mine is MS duo pro with 4GB capacity) as the low-level IPL driver it depends on seems designed for PRO only.
A new Memory Stick driver was posted to LMKL recently. It appears very comprehensive:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/619387

Post by 78 »

Hi,all

Is there the person who was able to compile toolchain on cygwin?
Please teach me it in detail if there is it.
I failed in the work many times...
vijay

Post by vijay »

THANX a lot M.Jackson ,,,...... i just compiled a working kernel :)
------
Is there any SDL port ????? , i just the saw the Chris Mulhearn site
http://df38.dot5hosting.com/~remember/chris/
the links are down at present
-------
and if i want to compile anything from source for psp uclinux; this is what i have to do write??
./configure --host=mipsel-linux LDFLAGS="-static -Wl,-elf2flt" CFLAGS="-fno-jump-tables"
and then
make CROSS_COMPILE=mipsel-linux- LDFLAGS="-static -Wl,-elf2flt" CFLAGS="-fno-jump-tables"

and add any other Flags if needed
------------------
sim

versionning kernel and buildroot

Post by sim »

Hello,

What do you think about the idea of versioning kernel developpment ?
It can permit to coordinate future devlopments, facilitate patch generation... etc...

For the buildroot and the patchs i have done against it, a mecurial repository is available at http://hg.sequanux.org/buildroot-psp.

It can be clone with the command "hg clone http://hg.sequanux.org/buildroot-psp".
All changes are direcly available in the resulting repository...
M.Jackson

Re: versionning kernel and buildroot

Post by M.Jackson »

DELETED
puksa

Post by puksa »

hey can anyone give me compiled "new" toolchain? Cant use patches from the site:( Thank you!
paulotex

pspboot 0.22 works on psp slim

Post by paulotex »

I want to report that the prebuilt pspboot 0.22 + kernel work on my psp slim (PSP-2004-IS). (However, Danzel's port didn't.)

Thanks for the great work!
vijay

Post by vijay »

just want to say tht it works fine on 3.80m33-5
and any latest new on the second version dev
SKUD

psp phat running 3.52M33-4

Post by SKUD »

So whats the news then?
M.Jackson

Post by M.Jackson »

well, not too much was going on actually, partly because I have been quite busy with my daytime job recently. Now I am working on an emulate mouse driver which gives the user some copy and paste ability in the text console. Originally I was trying to port gmp to the psp but that proved to be kind of impractical due to the sheer size of the program (quite huge in psp terms) and the additional libraries it requires. In stead, I am writing my own text console mouse daemon to demonstrate the usability of the emulate mouse.

I am expecting a new version to be released soon, with loads of bug fixing and a few new features (one of which is runtime RAM size detection mostly to the delight of slim users). Probably just in a few weeks :)
SKUD

New release

Post by SKUD »

Well thats GREAT! I know what you mean about work......I'm kinda using the net at work right now! My problem though is that I have no idea how to get it funny like it should. I know nothing about linux, but I take my PSP everywhere so I figured this is a great place to start! lol but I cant get past that nice lil screen that says...[tty1] *blink* *blink*

ive looked everywhere and you seem to be the only guy who knows what hes doing so.......lol when ever you get a chance can you point me to some REAL specific documentation on how to get my uclinx up to date?
-SKUD
M.Jackson

Post by M.Jackson »

Hi all. I have released a new version of uClinux which hasn't been tested on slim yet. Would somebody help to test it, to see whether it can successfully detect the extra 32M RAM on slim? It can be downloaded from the following link:

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/2afaf6e1f1_1.05MB

Thanks!
Rich43

Post by Rich43 »

Hey, I have read many of these posts and have seen nothing about the wifi support. I think if we get wifi support on uclinux, the things we could do are endless...

How hard would this be?
M.Jackson

Post by M.Jackson »

Perhaps let me put it this way. It is hard (for me) because the hardware specification (or the programming interface at h/w level) of that psp wifi device is still kept in secret by Sony. Maybe I am good at developing software but definitely not good at hacking. Honestly I am always marvelled by guys who could dig out so much from the machine without any official channel of getting those information but just from the binary product they have. However, despite all of those great efforts, very little detail about that wifi device has been unravelled, at least not enough for writing a driver for it. If you or anyone can help on figuring out those details, I am pretty sure everyboby will appreciate it.
dErFeLe

ucLinux on PSP Slim

Post by dErFeLe »

Hi i tested your kernel on a s&l but im afraid it wont detect the extra memory and only shows 32mb.

i am not a programmer but would it be possible (for the wifi) to take a system similar to the one used in openttd for psp? when you start the program it asks you which profile on your system you want to use and build up the connection. not a perfect solution but a working one
M.Jackson

Post by M.Jackson »

I am not sure I am getting this right, but I think the problem is most of other programs can "derive" some wifi abilities from the Sony firmware (because they simply run on it), while the linux kernel can not as it replaces the firmware to run on the machine directly (meaning there is nothing between the kernel and the hardware, more similar to the situation when you launch IPL programs like pandora). Therefore, without the firmware's support, the linux kernel would have no way to drive any device unless it "knows" how to do so at hardware level.

For the memory detection problem, I think your result probably suggests the extra 32M was not located in a linear space adjacent to the lower 32M as the detection algorithm has assumed. Or, there might be some tricky protection measure that must be turned off before the upper 32M is accessible. Could someboy confirm this? Well, I think I'd better find a slim to run some tests myself...
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

It's simply a matter of getting the info that we know somebody other then SONY has. If I had a slim I'd help you out in the too. Now the sad thing is that I cant get uClinux mounted at ALL on my phatty. Now dont start getting all pitchfork mob on me. I can do things on XP that you people would never guess. But in Linux you fellas are the gods. So help me out a lil, and I can see what I can do about the Wifi. It is only a proposition.

-SKUD
Rich43

Post by Rich43 »

SKUD wrote:It's simply a matter of getting the info that we know somebody other then SONY has. If I had a slim I'd help you out in the too. Now the sad thing is that I cant get uClinux mounted at ALL on my phatty. Now dont start getting all pitchfork mob on me. I can do things on XP that you people would never guess. But in Linux you fellas are the gods. So help me out a lil, and I can see what I can do about the Wifi. It is only a proposition.

-SKUD
Thanks, I have no idea why it doesnt work on your phat. I have a japaneese phat that runs 3.80 M33-5 and runs fine.

I am trying to find out what wireless chipset the PSP uses, perhaps that information could provide us with some ideas. I think if had some high resolution photos of the chip then we could figure it out.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Not sure on how Hi res you need.........but pictures of the inside of a psp, well thats my specialty-Hardware! I got a Toshiba PDR-M5 Digital still that might still work.............if thats ok to use then let me know here, and everything you'll need pics of!

If you tell me what I need to do to mount uClinux, then I think we'll have deal.
Apeiron

Post by Apeiron »

Talking about the wireless chipset..
shadash wrote:... The PSP has a Marvell Libertas 88W8380. ...
Think that could be of any help? I'm sure there are drivers already available for that chipset, it should only be a matter of getting one to run on the PSP. Shadash also stated...
shadash wrote:In Kernel 2.6.22 support for a Marvell Libertas 8388 802.11b/g USB driver was added.
Perhaps that's a good place to start for someone willing to take the task on?
Rich43

Post by Rich43 »

Apeiron wrote:Talking about the wireless chipset..
shadash wrote:... The PSP has a Marvell Libertas 88W8380. ...
Think that could be of any help? I'm sure there are drivers already available for that chipset, it should only be a matter of getting one to run on the PSP. Shadash also stated...
shadash wrote:In Kernel 2.6.22 support for a Marvell Libertas 8388 802.11b/g USB driver was added.
Perhaps that's a good place to start for someone willing to take the task on?
I have a bit of C experience and im good with linux... I could have a look. I missed that post!
I also have a interest in linux wireless!
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

yes.....I missed that post also. Unfortunately I am very very unskilled in C... But keep me....us rather...informed on whats happening with that!
kozerus

Post by kozerus »

I found someting for marvell 88W8380 and 88W8010, maybe it's useful.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Libertas
http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/psp/Lib ... 8W8510.pdf
similar to PSP wlan chipsets

I tried to find some drivers, but i found nothing. So i think the best will be reverse engineering.
noquarter

Post by noquarter »

I wonder if it would be possible to find a way to wrap the drivers for wireless much the same way you would use ndiswrapper.It's not a true solution but would it work for the time being?
roge

Post by roge »

--- edit ---
shadash

Marvell Libertas info

Post by shadash »

List of chipset vendors who are known to be at least partially GPL friendly

Marvell Libertas (includes the 88W8305, 88W8381, 88W8385, 88W8388 and 88W8686)

According to prplague on #openmoko, Zcomax XG-880M module might fit the requirements.

Embedded Works provides SMD versions of 88w8385 which are 9.6x9.6x1.7 mm big. This chip should be quite more power-consuming than other products on the market.

* USB 88W8388 - fully supported by GPL libertas driver
* CF 88W8385 - driver based on GPL libertas driver by Holger Schurig (libertas_cs)
* CF 88W8305 - driver is work in progress, firmware can be loaded and basic communication with firmware works (based on 8385 driver)
* CF 88W8381 - driver is work in progress, nothing done yet
* SD 88W8686 - driver by Marvell, available here [http://marvell.com/drivers/driverDispla ... 178&pId=38

* http://marvell.com/drivers/driverDispla ... 178&pId=38]

As for the driver git tree, see here (GPL, in sync with mainline, supporting USB8388 and partly CF8385): http://git.infradead.org/?p=libertas-2.6.git;a=summary
For CF8385 patches, see http://projects.linuxtogo.org/scm/?group_id=24

Marvell also cooperates with Gumstix(TM) and released this driver (GPL, supporting 2.6.15.1, supporting CF8385): http://files.gumstix.com/cf8385-5.0.16.p0-26306.tbz
shadash

Post by shadash »

From...
http://git.infradead.org/?p=libertas-2.6.git;a=summary

This is the owner of the kernel driver...

description Marvell 8xxx wireless devices
owner Marcelo Tosatti

These are the people to talk to b/c they're actually doing the work...

Holger Schurig
Ihar Hrachyshka
David Woodhouse
Ferdinant

Post by Ferdinant »

Hi

i'v got a quite confusing problem while trying to compile the new toolchain. Or better: while compiling the osk:

Code: Select all

bmp2c Eng.bmp
<<< BMP2RC version 0.1 by Jackson Mo >>>
Converting Eng.bmp to Eng.c...
Specified bitmap is not a 24-bit but a 0-bit format bitmap
make&#58; *** &#91;Eng.c&#93; Fehler 255
bmp2c can't handle any bitmap on my pc, how could this come?
I'm using gcc 4.2.3(-1ubuntu2) and my distribution is Ubuntu 8.04 (yes, the alpha) 64-bit

edit: problem solved by compiling on an other PC. Probably a bug in my clibs
M.Jackson

Post by M.Jackson »

I think I can answer this. Currently bmp2c can only handle 24-bit bitmaps (24 bits per pixel), and the bmp file that came with the original osk package is just one of those. If you wanna use your own images, you probably need to use one of those format converters to turn your files into 24-bit format first. I am sure there are plenty of such software available out there (I think the Paint program in windows will just do the job).

Actually the code of bmp2c is quite straightforward. You can easily modify it to support more formats if necessary.
M.Jackson

Post by M.Jackson »

Thanks for the detailed information of the drivers provided above. I think I still got a lot to catch up and I am gonna start with some basis first :)