A new port of uClinux on PSP (with accessibility to ms0)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

SpikeX

Post by SpikeX »

manatails007 wrote: I'll use my server
Why? Berlios.de should be way faster than your server from most countries and there is no traffic limit.
manatails007 wrote: I dont know what method have you used for measuring bandwidth, but you're wrong, bandwidth is NOT 500mb/day
it's 5 GB/day and I get No packet loss and Ping-time 100ms :p
The "method" was wget... Ping and packet loss was measured with mtr - with ping I have a packet loss of 100%.
In a second measure I got a download speed of 20.5 kb/s, a ping of 400ms and a packet loss of 10%.
That these values are better from South Korea is obvious, I think... What I wanted to say is, that the peering from outside world (I can only talk for Europe) to your server in South Korea is really bad (15 seconds for Main_Page rendering) and compared to it, the berlios-server has a really good peering.

I don't want to start a quarrel with you, but I think we neither need two different wikis nor should we use one server, when we could have one that is faster than the other...
manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

SpikeX wrote: That these values are better from South Korea is obvious, I think... What I wanted to say is, that the peering from outside world (I can only talk for Europe) to your server in South Korea is really bad (15 seconds for Main_Page rendering) and compared to it, the berlios-server has a really good peering.
I tried to open my wiki with anonymouse(anonymouse is a free proxy server located on germany) but it was not slow!

and please keep in mind that I dont want to start a quarrel with you either, I just wanted to administer a little redocumentation project
mastershake

Post by mastershake »

Ok I have a few questions about loading prxs after booting the kernel.

1. Is it even possible?
2. How would you go about doing it?

Are you using danzeff for the keyboard input? I cant tell, i've never used it before. I am trying to load pikey after memCopy in pspboot, but it just locks up after sayings Transfering Control....(some other stuff). If I can get pikey to run alongside linux then it would be possible to use the danzeff out plugin in pikey to type. I don't think its possible since it removes all of sony's code, doesnt it? If its not possible how hard would it be to directly code libpspirkeyb into it?

From modified pspboot main.c transferControl

Code: Select all

/* prepare boot command line */
    if ( *s_paramCmd != 0 )
    {
      kernelParam = (void *)( KERNEL_ENTRY + KERNEL_PARAM_OFFSET );
      memCopy( kernelParam, s_paramCmd, CONFIG_MAX_PARAM );
	}

/* load pikey----------------------------*/
s_pikeyMod = pspSdkLoadStartModule( PIKEYMOD_PATH,
                                        PSP_MEMORY_PARTITION_KERNEL );

if &#40; s_pikeyMod < 0 &#41;
  &#123;
    printf&#40; "Failed to load %s &#91;%08x&#93;\n", PIKEYMOD_PATH, &#40;int&#41;s_pikeyMod &#41;;
    return FALSE;
  &#125;  
PSPZwolle

Post by PSPZwolle »

Maybe a stupid question.. But how do you type an underscore _ ??

Thank you :)
youngchulo

Post by youngchulo »

is this project dead? even with as far as it got?
There are two types of people in this world...
Those that understand binary and those that don't...
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Dariusc123456

Post by Dariusc123456 »

It might not be dead, but its a w.i.p. Just dont expect much replies.
youngchulo

Post by youngchulo »

well, does anyone know how I can help? what programming languages should I know? I know a bit of C, I'd like to start off with making something like the sound structure or w/e or a desktop environment first, I'm also a bit experience with working with linux, just not programming for it much
mik

Post by mik »

Hi,
I've compiled the kernel with Jacksons' toolchain. It boots fine but now I need to compile busybox. The problem is that his toolchain (mipsel-linux-cpp) looks up the uClibc headers in predefined folders (the first to paths are fine, since they are inside my psp environment; the third one I had to create and copy there the uClibc headers):
$ ./mipsel-linux-cpp -v
[...]
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
/home/mlunter/psp/pspdev/gcc-psp/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-uclibc/4.2.1/include
/home/mlunter/psp/pspdev/gcc-psp/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-uclibc/4.2.1/../../../../mipsel-linux-uclibc/include
/usr/src/buildroot-20071216/build_mipsel/staging_dir/usr/include
End of search list.
[...]

As you can see, I have already copied the include folder into /usr/src/buildroot-20071216/build_mipsel/staging_dir/usr/ to make the preprocessor happy and busybox compiles. But since I have all my psp related stuff in a central place I wanted to ask if there's a way to tell the preprocessor where to find the includes (-I/some/path/ when compiling busybox I tried already, doesn't work).

Thx,
Michael
mik

enabling 64mb on slim

Post by mik »

Although the kernel detects correctly the available RAM, it is not used on the slim. The trivial patch to use all 64MB can be found here (sets HIGHMEM_START to 0x8c000000 such that all memory is acquired by ZONE_NORMAL):

https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/pspl ... 00001.html

Should have no effect on the phat, at least if I understood bootmem_init() correctly.
Enjoy the doubled space...
astearon

how much can it do..?

Post by astearon »

I don't know nuch about coding and such but i gotta ask a question here, i see that uclinux cand be ported on the psp with out a problem, and also busybox and some drivers for screenbuffer and imput keys. BUT CAN a x interface be ported on top of this uclinux kernel? something like Matchbox: http://matchbox-project.org/screenshots.html ?
What would i need to have in order to get this on the psp ? (besites knowing how to code..this part i can get help on)
I need to know If this can be done or not, not neceserally this particular x interface, but something simillar.
shadash

Post by shadash »

astearon,

Yes some people have been able to get a gui interface to work using a native uClinux linux kernel running on the PSP.

The main blocker right now is there's no linux WiFi driver for the psp. So even though you can get a gui you'll have to sneakernet all data over. Or possibly use the miniusb port.
wankel

Post by wankel »

Awesome project :) I just read through all 10 pages and have a few questions:

1.) Has any progress been made on this, specifically with the wifi driver?
2.) It seems that 5 minutes after booting my psp will freeze. The cursor will keep blinking but I have to remove the battery to restart the psp. Anybody know what the issue could be? Firmware is 5.00 m33-6 if that makes a difference.
3.) Extremely noob question, how do I install the precompiled toolchain?

Thanks! I hope this project continues to go great places :)
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

could someone reupload the files
youngchulo

Post by youngchulo »

^^ I would like to see these files ^^
Wow, it's been months since I've logged in, possibly a year since.
Anyways, just a friendly bump, it's nice to see some progress has been made, I really would like to see linux running on the psp, I want to show all those non-believers that linux really can run on a psp, if linux can run on a router (dd-wrt) don't you think it could run on a psp?
coolkehon

Post by coolkehon »

http://psplinux.berlios.de/wiki/Downloads
i think that has most of them