[Magically Solved] Developing SDL application for CFW 3xx

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

fungos

[Magically Solved] Developing SDL application for CFW 3xx

Post by fungos »

Well, I searched and read everything about this on forums, but I'm still getting problem to build my SDL application (that runs fine on 1.50) to run on 3.52.

My Makefile has:

Code: Select all

BUILD_PRX = 1
PSP_FW_VERSION = 352
The output (looks good):

e/SDL -Dmain=SDL_main -D_PSP_FW_VERSION=352  -L. -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib -specs=/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib/prxspecs -Wl,-q,-T/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib/linkfile.prx   src/renderer.o src/sdl/image.o src/sdl/screen.o src/psp/events.o src/entities/jackie.o src/main.o src/loader.o src/sprite.o src/gamecontroller.o src/tileset.o src/core.o src/entity.o src/updater.o src/panel.o src/animation.o /home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib/prxexports.o -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -lm -lGL -lpspvfpu -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspge -lpspdisplay -lpsphprm -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lc -lpspuser -lpsputility -lpspkernel -lpspnet_inet -lpspirkeyb -lpsppower -lstdc++ -lpspdebug -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspctrl -lpspsdk -lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpspnet_apctl -lpspnet_resolver -lpsputility -lpspuser -lpspkernel -o bin/twott.psp.elf
psp-fixup-imports bin/twott.psp.elf
psp-prxgen bin/twott.psp.elf bin/twott.psp.prx
mksfo 'The Way of The Tiger' PARAM.SFO
pack-pbp EBOOT.PBP PARAM.SFO icon0.png  \
                icon1.pmf NULL bg.png  \
                snd0.at3  bin/twott.psp.prx NULL
[0]        408 bytes | PARAM.SFO
[1]       3077 bytes | icon0.png
[2]     133120 bytes | icon1.pmf
[3]          0 bytes | NULL
[4]      39868 bytes | bg.png
[5]      97604 bytes | snd0.at3
[6]     614594 bytes | bin/twott.psp.prx
[7]          0 bytes | NULL
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fungos/dev/psp/apps/twott'
I changed too SDL_psp_main.c to use (anyone should commit this to svn):

PSP_MODULE_INFO("SDL App", 0, 1, 1);
PSP_MAIN_THREAD_ATTR(THREAD_ATTR_USER | THREAD_ATTR_VFPU);
PSP_HEAP_SIZE_KB(25000);
But when I try to run the app from GAME352 folder I get: "The game could not be started. (8002013C)".

Btw, I'm testing a OSK (that I have found on forums too) sample that has the Makefile identical to mine and It works nice with 352.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by fungos on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Your heap size is probably too big. Try PSP_HEAP_SIZE_MAX() instead. That sets it to the biggest value without going over the limit. Using PSP_HEAP_SIZE_KB() means you have to guess how much you can get away with before it fails.
fungos

Post by fungos »

Just tried that, still not working. I got the same error. :(
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Hmm... sounds like you still have a kernel level call in your code somewhere. Any kernel calls at all will make your program error out with that code. All kernel calls need to be moved into an external prx for 3.xx homebrew.
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

The SDL library has a call to a kernel function, the one that sets the exception handler.

You have to change the SDL source and recompile/reinstall it. Of course it would be better if someone commited the changes to the svn using preprocessor conditional code based on the PSP_FW_VERSION.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Tbh is it probably simpler to just not use SDL_main :P
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Other option is to make the libraries that have the calls to the kernel only functions with the bind flag, it may work.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Well tbh SDL doesn't need kernel libraries at all, it is a relic of a bygone era, but I am loath to do much about it when using SDL_main is not really needed in the first place (and not using it removed any kernel dependencies) and the hassle of maybe having two different SDL_mains and the associated defaults.
fungos

Post by fungos »

Anyway, the use of SDL_main is just for easy portability (in other words, just recompilation), its no problem to implement SDL_main in my code, but I think its better to fix SDL on svn and no need to maintain two SDL_main versions. Why we need keep 1.50 compatibility?

I will test changing my SDL_main to see if it works.

EDIT:
No, I can't get it to work.
Where is defined PSP_HEAP_SIZE_MAX() ? I just can't find it here... There is a way to check which sdk version I'm using? :)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

It's in libpspkernel and psplibc and libc (newlib). There was a problem with MAX on older versions of psplibc, but not many people use both psplibc and MAX, so it wasn't discovered for a while. PSP_HEAP_SIZE_MAX just sets a var that libc looks for when making the heap on startup. It's just like PSP_HEAP_SIZE_KB in that respect. They both set the same variable that's used by libc to make the heap. You should really be using the very latest SDK for the latest changes in Slim support.
fungos

Post by fungos »

Ok. Just updated to svn pspsdk. This is the sample I'm trying to run:

#include <SDL/SDL.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

#include <pspkernel.h>
#include <pspdisplay.h>
#include <pspmoduleinfo.h>
#include <pspthreadman.h>
#include <pspsdk.h>

PSP_MODULE_INFO&#40;"SDL Sample App", 0, 1, 0&#41;;
PSP_HEAP_SIZE_MAX&#40;&#41;;
PSP_MAIN_THREAD_ATTR&#40;THREAD_ATTR_USER&#41;;

#define printf pspDebugScreenPrintf

int ExitCallback&#40;int arg1, int arg2, void *common&#41;
&#123;
	sceKernelExitGame&#40;&#41;;
	return 0;
&#125;

int CallbackThread&#40;SceSize args, void *argp&#41;
&#123;
	int cbid;
	cbid = sceKernelCreateCallback&#40;"Exit Callback", ExitCallback, NULL&#41;;
	sceKernelRegisterExitCallback&#40;cbid&#41;;
	sceKernelSleepThreadCB&#40;&#41;;

return 0;
&#125;

int SetupCallbacks&#40;&#41;
&#123;
	int thid = 0;
	thid = sceKernelCreateThread&#40;"update_thread", CallbackThread, 0x11, 0xFA0, 0, 0&#41;;
	if &#40;thid >= 0&#41;
		sceKernelStartThread&#40;thid, 0, 0&#41;;

return thid;
&#125;

extern "C" 
int main&#40;int argc, char *argv&#91;&#93;&#41;
&#123;
	SDL_Surface *screen;

SetupCallbacks&#40;&#41;;
	if &#40;SDL_InitSubSystem&#40;SDL_INIT_VIDEO&#41;&#41;
		return EXIT_FAILURE;

screen = SDL_SetVideoMode&#40;480, 272, 32, SDL_FULLSCREEN&#41;;

if &#40;NULL == screen&#41;
		return EXIT_FAILURE;

SDL_FillRect&#40;screen, NULL, SDL_MapRGB&#40;screen->format, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff&#41;&#41;;
	sceKernelDelayThread&#40;1000000&#41;;

SDL_QuitSubSystem&#40;SDL_INIT_VIDEO&#41;;
	SDL_Quit&#40;&#41;;

pspDebugScreenInit&#40;&#41;;
	pspDebugScreenClear&#40;&#41;;
	printf&#40;"ok, its working.\n"&#41;;
	sceKernelDelayThread&#40;1000000&#41;;
	sceKernelExitGame&#40;&#41;;

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
&#125;
With this Makefile:

PSPSDK=$&#40;shell psp-config --pspsdk-path&#41;
PSPDIR=$&#40;shell psp-config --psp-prefix&#41;

SDLCFLAGS=-I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/include/SDL
SDLLIBS=-L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib -lSDL -lm -lGL -lpspvfpu -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspge -lpspdisplay -lpsphprm -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lc -lpspuser -lpsputility -lpspkernel -lpspnet_inet -lpspirkeyb -lpsppower

TARGET = sample.psp
OBJS = main.o

CFLAGS = -O2 -G0 -Wall -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti $&#40;SDLCFLAGS&#41;
ASFLAGS = $&#40;CFLAGS&#41;

BUILD_PRX = 1
PSP_FW_VERSION = 352

LIBS = $&#40;SDLLIBS&#41;
EXTRA_TARGETS = EBOOT.PBP
PSP_EBOOT_TITLE = SDL FW 3.52 Sample

include $&#40;PSPSDK&#41;/lib/build.mak
What is wrong?
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Works just fine for me on a 3.6 slim
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

Is it a runtime problem or a compilation problem the last one you are having?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You need to make this change in the makefile:

CFLAGS = -O2 -G0 -Wall -fno-exceptions $&#40;SDLCFLAGS&#41;
CXXFLAGS = $&#40;CFLAGS&#41; -fno-rtti
You got away with having that wrong because there were no .c files, just main.cpp. Otherwise it's fine. It ran on my Slim in 3.71 M33-3.
fungos

Post by fungos »

J.F.: I tried you suggestion, still not working.

I'm trying to run with 3.52 M33-4 CFW.
I have some runtime problem, looks like its crashing my psp. First, its run but nothing is shown, then If I try to quit it by home button, it reboots or freeze in that message "Please wait...".

Anyone with this same firmware can reproduce or with any fat psp?
Good that works on slim 3.6 and 3.71. I'm just afraid to upgrade my fat to 3.6x/3.7x for now... :S
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Just tried it on my old Phat with 3.52 M33-4. It works fine. So now you have two things to consider: 1 - The problem is with your toolchain/sdk. Solution - reinstall completely. 2 - The problem is with your PSP. Solution - reinstall cfw... maybe. It could also be a problem with a plugin. If you use plugins, disable them. If you have custom fonts and rcos installed, uninstall them.

EDIT: Try this EBOOT. It works on both my PSPs. If this works for you, the problem is your toolchain. If it fails, the problem is your PSP.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6xetjtvhryn
Archaemic

Post by Archaemic »

I'm really surprised that that would work at all for several reasons.
Let's take a look at SDL_psp_main.c:

PSP_MODULE_INFO&#40;"SDL App", 0x1000, 1, 1&#41;;
PSP_MAIN_THREAD_ATTR&#40;THREAD_ATTR_USER | THREAD_ATTR_VFPU&#41;;
Oh look, it already defines MODULE_INFO and MAIN_THREAD_ATTR, and the first is as a kernel mode app!

And, what's this?

void loaderInit&#40;&#41;
&#123;
	int kmode_is_available = &#40;sceKernelDevkitVersion&#40;&#41; < 0x02000010&#41;;

if &#40;kmode_is_available&#41; &#123;
		pspKernelSetKernelPC&#40;&#41;;
		pspSdkInstallNoDeviceCheckPatch&#40;&#41;;
		pspDebugInstallErrorHandler&#40;sdl_psp_exception_handler&#41;;
	&#125;

init_was_called = 1;
&#125;
Hmm, now, those aren't called, but they're still linked, if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, I just came here to post a patch in the first place.
fungos

Post by fungos »

J.F.: Thanks man, that worked here. So, I will try to reinstall my toolchain and try again tomorrow night.

Archaemic: This sample doesn't use SDLmain.a, look again at my Makefile. But thanks for your SDL patch (I saw the other post), I will test it here tomorrow too. Would be nice have that in svn.

I will test with a new toolchain and then I will post the result here.
Thank you everybody, you all are very helpful!! :D
Archaemic

Post by Archaemic »

Ahhh, I completely forgot that SDLmain was a separate library. My mistake.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

fungos wrote:J.F.: Thanks man, that worked here. So, I will try to reinstall my toolchain and try again tomorrow night.

Archaemic: This sample doesn't use SDLmain.a, look again at my Makefile. But thanks for your SDL patch (I saw the other post), I will test it here tomorrow too. Would be nice have that in svn.

I will test with a new toolchain and then I will post the result here.
Thank you everybody, you all are very helpful!! :D
No problem. Glad it was your toolchain and not the PSP. That could have been a big problem.
fungos

Post by fungos »

The weird thing is, I just reinstalled psptoolchain and It still not working. But I noticed that my eboot.pbp has different size from yours, look:

mine:

-rw-r--r-- 1 fungos fungos  459534 2007-11-20 00&#58;00 EBOOT.PBP
yours:

-rw-r--r--  1 fungos fungos 460942 2007-11-18 19&#58;55 EBOOT.PBP
I don't know If it has any to do with my host platform, but I think the sizes should match or almost no difference.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, if you're trying to build the toolchain in Windows with CygWin, I know people have all kinds of trouble. I'm using Ubuntu, like most of the folks who don't have trouble. It's just easier to do it in linux.
fungos

Post by fungos »

So, I don't have windows anywhere near me :)
I use kubuntu and my notebook is a AMD64x2.
And, I just reinstalled all libraries (psplibraries script).
Anyway, this problem is very exoteric. I think I should let it alone and still developing for 1.50 :(
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

fungos wrote:So, I don't have windows anywhere near me :)
I use kubuntu and my notebook is a AMD64x2.
And, I just reinstalled all libraries (psplibraries script).
Anyway, this problem is very exoteric. I think I should let it alone and still developing for 1.50 :(
Wow, that is a tough one...

I know some libs require pkg_config to work right. Make sure you have it installed before compiling the psplibraries, and that this is part of your exports:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PSPDEV/psp/lib/pkgconfig"
Wally

Post by Wally »

Hi,

I had this problem until a day ago :-)

I fixed it by changing the sdl-config file so that it when i call -nosdlmain it removes any instances of SDL main so that it will work on the 3.71 kernel.

You have to remove it from the Cflags and the libraries then do something with the program itself so it includes the module info etc. (compiler will ask for them)

Give that a shot and let us know how it went. If you need my sdl-config file, PM me.
fungos

Post by fungos »

Wally4000: Thanks for your help, but I'm trying exaclty that (I'm not using sdl_config neither SDLmain.a) :)

J.F.:
I have done that change to env to setup pkgconfig path, DELETED all my libraries and installed again using psplibraries. Then I tried to compile it again, and it still crashing my psp (and the output eboot still with that size)

Then I commented out all SDL code and fixed Makefile to not use -lSDL (and -lGL as consequence). And the new eboot (with about ~90kb) worked. Then again, I enabled ONLY SDL_InitSubSystem and nothing more and it crashed again.

The problem IS WITH SDL. I dont know what is causing this problem (something with video initialization). So I whant to compare my libraries size with yours if possible.

fungos@Darkbrain&#58;~/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib$ ls -la libSDL.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 fungos fungos 1108756 2007-11-21 20&#58;44 libSDL.a
fungos@Darkbrain&#58;~/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib$ ls -la libGL.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 fungos fungos 1579242 2007-11-21 20&#58;25 libGL.a
P.S.: Another thing I wanted to ask, is there a way to not need link to GL? Even if I don't use it, the linker want it.

P.S2: When you compiled the version that worked here, you used main.C or main.CPP? I'm compiling with psp-g++ and linking with psp-gcc.

Thanks.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

fungos wrote: The problem IS WITH SDL. I dont know what is causing this problem (something with video initialization). So I whant to compare my libraries size with yours if possible.

fungos@Darkbrain&#58;~/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib$ ls -la libSDL.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 fungos fungos 1108756 2007-11-21 20&#58;44 libSDL.a
fungos@Darkbrain&#58;~/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib$ ls -la libGL.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 fungos fungos 1579242 2007-11-21 20&#58;25 libGL.a
P.S.: Another thing I wanted to ask, is there a way to not need link to GL? Even if I don't use it, the linker want it.

P.S2: When you compiled the version that worked here, you used main.C or main.CPP? I'm compiling with psp-g++ and linking with psp-gcc.

1108844 2007-11-09 18&#58;27 /usr/local/pspdev/psp/lib/libSDL.a
1578914 2007-11-09 18&#58;24 /usr/local/pspdev/psp/lib/libGL.a
I made the file main.cpp and I use the makefile you provide with the change in flags I commented on. The final makefile is this:

PSPSDK=$&#40;shell psp-config --pspsdk-path&#41;
PSPDIR=$&#40;shell psp-config --psp-prefix&#41;

SDLCFLAGS=-I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/include/SDL
SDLLIBS=-L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib -lSDL -lm -lGL -lpspvfpu -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspge -lpspdisplay -lpsphprm -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lc -lpspuser -lpsputility -lpspkernel -lpspnet_inet -lpspirkeyb -lpsppower

TARGET = sample.psp
OBJS = main.o

CFLAGS = -O2 -G0 -Wall -fno-exceptions $&#40;SDLCFLAGS&#41;
CXXFLAGS = $&#40;CFLAGS&#41; -fno-rtti
ASFLAGS = $&#40;CFLAGS&#41;

BUILD_PRX = 1
PSP_FW_VERSION = 352

LIBS = $&#40;SDLLIBS&#41;
EXTRA_TARGETS = EBOOT.PBP
PSP_EBOOT_TITLE = SDL FW 3.52 Sample

include $&#40;PSPSDK&#41;/lib/build.mak
That's with your paths as well. Obviously, I don't use your paths on my machine. :)

You problem is probably that you're trying to FORCE it to use psp-g++ and psp-gcc. Let make figure it out automatically from the makefile and build.mak.
fungos

Post by fungos »

Yes, I was using this Makefile ;)
But to be sure, I copied it and tried again. Still the same problem :(

I noticed that your libraries has different sizes from mine, maybe it's really some problem with my SDL building.

This is the output of building my eboot:

fungos@Darkbrain&#58;~/dev/psp/apps/sdl352$ make psp
make -f Makefile.psp
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Entering directory `/home/fungos/dev/psp/apps/sdl352'
psp-g++ -I. -I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall -fno-exceptions -I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/include/SDL -I. -I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall -fno-exceptions -I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/include/SDL -fno-rtti -D_PSP_FW_VERSION=352   -c -o main.o main.cpp
psp-gcc -I. -I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall -fno-exceptions -I/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/include/SDL -D_PSP_FW_VERSION=352  -L. -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib -specs=/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib/prxspecs -Wl,-q,-T/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib/linkfile.prx   main.o /home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib/prxexports.o -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/lib -lSDL -lm -lGL -lpspvfpu -L/home/fungos/dev/psp/dev/psp/sdk/lib -lpspdebug -lpspgu -lpspctrl -lpspge -lpspdisplay -lpsphprm -lpspsdk -lpsprtc -lpspaudio -lc -lpspuser -lpsputility -lpspkernel -lpspnet_inet -lpspirkeyb -lpsppower -lpspdebug -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspctrl -lpspsdk -lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpspnet_apctl -lpspnet_resolver -lpsputility -lpspuser -lpspkernel -o sample.psp.elf
psp-fixup-imports sample.psp.elf
psp-prxgen sample.psp.elf sample.psp.prx
mksfo 'SDL FW 3.52 Sample' PARAM.SFO
pack-pbp EBOOT.PBP PARAM.SFO NULL  \
                NULL NULL NULL  \
                NULL  sample.psp.prx NULL
&#91;0&#93;        408 bytes | PARAM.SFO
&#91;1&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;2&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;3&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;4&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;5&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
&#91;6&#93;     459070 bytes | sample.psp.prx
&#91;7&#93;          0 bytes | NULL
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/fungos/dev/psp/apps/sdl352'
Everything looks fine.
One last test we can make (still bothering you) is try to user your compiled libGL.a and libSDL.a here. I think that it should reveal if its really SDL or something wrong underneath it (some psplib broken that SDL may require).
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Here's my libGL.a and libSDL.a.

http://www.mediafire.com/?einofjm4owg
fungos

Post by fungos »

Thanks J.F., it doesn't worked too. :S
But its ok, now I know how to make 3.xx applications. :)
I think I can't find what is happening, but I hope it will eventually start working.... lol

Bye