Problem with cygwin :S

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Z0k3

Problem with cygwin :S

Post by Z0k3 »

Hi people,

i need your help, because when i try to install psptoolchain in cygwin, it give me an error, i unistall, and then i install cygwin with all libraries, but it give me error too. i don´t know what i do. this is the error:

It is possible what this toolchain is for linux, and not for windows??? or it is an error with a library?
Viper8896

Re: Problem with cygwin :S

Post by Viper8896 »

Z0k3 wrote: It is possible what this toolchain is for linux, and not for windows??? or it is an error with a library?
not exactly sure what you just said there but yes it works on linux/bsd/windows(including vista). it has failed on remote joy but everything else installed fine. remote joy depends on sdl(for the host system not to be confused with psp port of sdl)
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

Don't worry, that error is non fatal, it just means psplink and remotejoy etc didn't compile.

To get them to compile, you need to get libusb-dev and then you need to run ./toolchain.sh 9

That should compile the last part - but it'll work fine without.

Cloudy
:)
Z0k3

Post by Z0k3 »

Ok, but as i can download the library libusb-dev for cygwin???
deniska

Post by deniska »

try installing without psplinkusb and then install it separately if needed..
just remove 009-psplinkusb.sh from scripts directory in the toolchain

I think those errors have something to do with SDL and or some windows flag that you need to pass to make...
Z0k3

Post by Z0k3 »

Good, now i know what is the problem, the problem is i need de library joystick.h, what this in folder linux, the problem is i don´t have this folder, because i have windows, someone have linux and pass me the library?? or someone know what i have do??
PeterLeRoi

Post by PeterLeRoi »

One question... if I get the same error, at the end do I have a 100% complete and functional toolchain (except linkusb, of course)?

I´m in a hurry, need cygwin + toolchain now, and when compiling get this error. I´ve seen there is a way to avoid this error (deleting 3 sentences in /home/user/build/psplinkusb/Makeclients... or something similar :p) and compiling again, but then i get new errors :'(

What is linkusb for?
CpuWhiz

Post by CpuWhiz »

Yes. You should have everything but psplinkusb. So if you don't need psplink, you are set.

Edit: Let me answer the other part too... psplink is a shell/debugger for the PSP. You run psplink on your PSP and it connects to an application on your computer (usbhostfs_pc) via USB. At this point you can start pspsh to get a shell/terminal/command prompt (pick your favorite term) that you can do a few things with. This includes copying/moving files to or from your computer (shows up as host0:/ as opposed to ms0:/ for your memory stick), start a app, and debug an app. It's mostly used to debug apps. If you want to know more about psplink just read the PDF document in the psplinkusb folder.
PeterLeRoi

Post by PeterLeRoi »

I don´t need psplinkusb :)

But, since I type ./toolchain.sh until I get the error (psplinkusb... whatever...) it only spends about 60-70 minutes. I have an AMD 2xcore 64 bits, and my internet connection downloads about 400 kb/s; but still it´s very quickly, no? Is there a way to check if the installation was correct?

Thanks ;) (and sorry for my english)
Last edited by PeterLeRoi on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CpuWhiz

Post by CpuWhiz »

Yes, look in /usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/samples and try compiling a sample. Also, if your path is setup you should be able to type which <command> and it should return the path to the application. For example, to check the C compiler is there:

Code: Select all

user@host $ which psp-gcc
/usr/local/pspdev/bin/psp-gcc
As you can see the app is there. You could also just use --help or something too. You should also have psp-g++ (C++ compiler), psp-gdb (debuger), pack-pbp, and a few others. Anyway, if a sample compiles everything should be golden.
PeterLeRoi

Post by PeterLeRoi »

I´ve tried reinstalling and this is the message I get:

Code: Select all

make&#91;5&#93;&#58; Entering directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp/gd
b/testsuite/gdb.mi'
rm -f *.ci *.o  basics c_variable cpp_variable var-cmd *~ core
make&#91;5&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp/gdb
/testsuite/gdb.mi'
gdb.objc&#58;
make&#91;5&#93;&#58; Entering directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp/gd
b/testsuite/gdb.objc'
rm -f *~ *.o *.ci
rm -f core basicclass
make&#91;5&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp/gdb
/testsuite/gdb.objc'
gdb.threads&#58;
b/testsuite/gdb.threads'
rm -f *~ *.o a.out xgdb *.x *.ci *.tmp core* pthreads
/testsuite/gdb.threads'
gdb.trace&#58;
b/testsuite/gdb.trace'
rm -f actions circ collection limits
rm -f *.o *.diff *~ *.bad core sh3 hppa mn10300
/testsuite/gdb.trace'
gdb.stabs&#58;
b/testsuite/gdb.stabs'
rm -f *.o *~ core tmp.c tmp.s weird.s errs
/testsuite/gdb.stabs'
make&#91;4&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp/gdb
/testsuite'
make&#91;3&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp/gdb
'
rm -f *.o *.a    *~ init.c-tmp init.l-tmp version.c-tmp
rm -f init.c version.c
rm -f gdb.exe core make.log
rm -f gdb&#91;0-9&#93;.exe
rm -f test-cp-name-parser.exe
make&#91;2&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp/gdb
'
test ! -d gcc/libgcc || \
        &#40;cd gcc/libgcc && find . -type d -print&#41; | \
        while read d; do rm -f gcc/$d/libgcc.a || &#58; ; done
rm -rf gcc/libgcc
rm -f gcc/stmp-dirs
make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/home/Peter/psptoolchain/build/gdb-6.4/build-psp'
rm -f *.a TEMP errs core *.o *~ \#* TAGS *.E *.log

Peter@pete ~/psptoolchain
$

Was everything correct?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Looks hopeful :)

Jim
jube

Post by jube »

Hi guys

having EXACTLY the same problem on toolscript.sh 9 , what the hell did you do to solve ? you say you re-installed? what exactly did you do?, ive re-installed cygwin loads of times!!!! and still the same story.
I know dont need psplink but want to know WHY !!!!!!!! ( driving me nuts !!! ) Assuming it has something to do with my windows environment. Am bit of nob with unix, but cool with c,C++ etcc and know my way round windows pretty well,
Is ther a error script i can look at to find problem?
cloudhunter

Post by cloudhunter »

jube wrote:Hi guys

having EXACTLY the same problem on toolscript.sh 9 , what the hell did you do to solve ? you say you re-installed? what exactly did you do?, ive re-installed cygwin loads of times!!!! and still the same story.
I know dont need psplink but want to know WHY !!!!!!!! ( driving me nuts !!! ) Assuming it has something to do with my windows environment. Am bit of nob with unix, but cool with c,C++ etcc and know my way round windows pretty well,
Is ther a error script i can look at to find problem?
If you don't use psplink then don't worry about it.

But, it's because libusb-dev isn't installed.

Cloudy
:)
jube

Post by jube »

thanks mate,
how do i install libusb-dev?
im pretty sure its not part of the toolchain scripts ( since posted have done quite bit of research, the offending script is 009-( in psptoolchain/scripts ), after 009 has failed i copied the psplinkusb folder to root ( home ) cd'ed to it then ran makefile with MAKE RELEASE ( i think am running make file anyway !!, this seems to be standard way to build in linux ) psplinkusb then compiled great, well with no errors anyway. This all leaves me to believe that the line

"make -f Makefile.clients clean && make -f Makefile.clients && make -f Makefile.clients install && make -f Makefile.clients clean || { exit 1; } "

in 009-
is playing the majour part here, not knowing exactly what to look for ? )
So yes seems all rest of toolchain working peachy but just me, want to see the end of that script finish, long bitter experience has taught me a seemingly stupid small issue early on can bite yo right in the ass much later on in a development.
Finally can you guys recomend a good IDE/C editor?
Have been looking around and cspdevelopment studio 3 is looking oh so sexy, but its got its own cygwin and am worried cant be updated to the new toolchains as the svn changes .
PS, using all the new scripts etc straight from the SVN and straight from the bash

Thanks for the reply cloudhunter
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I don't know how you plan on using psplink without a client to connect to it with, but if you want to skip that part it certainly won't hurt your ability to build programs.

Since the client uses usb, you need usb development libraries to compile it.
jube

Post by jube »

hi oopo

thanks loads for replying, its so cool to be able to talk to the man ( ?) who actually wrote the script !!!!!

Again been learning/looking, yep you guys are so right, looked long and hard at the cygwin instalation found the usb libs, installed and the script went past that section, great !!!
Now its bumming out during the remote joy make. not finding linux/joystick.h, am assuming this is same dependancy issue so am installing a frigin huge cygwin install and going to try again.( cant find tha actual joystick cygwin section damnit!! )

Yep toolchain working a treat!!! Compiling fine, am getting round to a hello world.

My final intended set of apps will need to transfer a custom data stream at very high speed via usb or wifi ( depens which i can get desired data rate through ) thats why interested in psplink, also many people seem to rate it highly for prog debug.

Any thoughts on a good IDE? what do you use for editing source etc?Whats ps2dev's favourate, or do you just do everything in a bash shell? ( im writing real-world apps to interface with custom hardware, am embedded designer by trade, so mainly interested in system i/o, gui's and graphics.

On another note have to thank you guys at ps2dev, cant immagine all the hard work that went into the toolchain,libs,utils and the svn but thanks so so much!!(suppose we have to give DA and his team a shout ! )
jube

Post by jube »

ok update, joystick.h is with the sdl libs that should install at the end of the ./library.sh script, unfortunatly THOSE ALSO HANG ON MY SYSTEM ( the script that is !! ) ( libs 0017 onwards,) seems to be some build issues on em that everyone is moaning about on other boards.
What might be an easy solution is CPS dev studio3.1 seems like can plug updated toolchains into that ( assuming its inbuilt cygwin ,which doubt can be updated, never conflicts with a new toolchain buid, but hey, its put together with a very recent toolchain build so maybe will be ok ) and that has psplink and sdl issues worked out.
jube

Post by jube »

got libs script to complete ( including sdl at the end !!! ) on a fresh install of cygwin ( min config +libusb, plus others requested in the readme's ) but toolchain still hangs on /.toolchain.sh 9, but only on the remote joy client ( make.clients ) so commented out the remote joy client and all completed, not sure if remote joy client has lot to do with psplinkusb so not to worried.
celyst

Post by celyst »

Hi, I'm trying to compile the toolchain for the first time but I'm facing some problems. I'm using CYGWIN by the way.

The problem is during 009-psplinkusb.sh, it is unable to finish compiling. Here is the output:
if ( test -f /usr/include/SDL/SDL.h ); then { make -C tools/remotejoy/pcsdl all;
} else { make -C tools/remotejoy/pc all; } fi
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Owner/psptoolchain/scripts/psplinkusb/tools/r
emotejoy/pc'
cc -Wall -g -c -o remotejoy.o remotejoy.c
remotejoy.c:27:28: linux/joystick.h: No such file or directory
remotejoy.c: In function `get_joyinfo':
remotejoy.c:318: warning: implicit declaration of function `ioctl'
remotejoy.c:318: warning: implicit declaration of function `JSIOCGNAME'
remotejoy.c:324: error: `JSIOCGVERSION' undeclared (first use in this function)
remotejoy.c:324: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
remotejoy.c:324: error: for each function it appears in.)
remotejoy.c:330: error: `JSIOCGAXES' undeclared (first use in this function)
remotejoy.c:336: error: `JSIOCGBUTTONS' undeclared (first use in this function)
remotejoy.c: At top level:
remotejoy.c:461: warning: "struct js_event" declared inside parameter list
remotejoy.c:461: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, whic
h is probably not what you want
remotejoy.c: In function `read_event':
remotejoy.c:467: error: invalid application of `sizeof' to incomplete type `js_e
vent'
remotejoy.c:481: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
remotejoy.c:481: error: `JS_EVENT_INIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
remotejoy.c:486: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
remotejoy.c: In function `make_mapfile':
remotejoy.c:498: error: storage size of 'joydata' isn't known
remotejoy.c:535: error: `JS_EVENT_AXIS' undeclared (first use in this function)
remotejoy.c:548: error: `JS_EVENT_BUTTON' undeclared (first use in this function
)
remotejoy.c:498: warning: unused variable `joydata'
remotejoy.c: In function `mainloop':
remotejoy.c:627: error: storage size of 'joydata' isn't known
remotejoy.c:678: error: `JS_EVENT_INIT' undeclared (first use in this function)
remotejoy.c:680: error: `JS_EVENT_BUTTON' undeclared (first use in this function
)
remotejoy.c:706: error: `JS_EVENT_AXIS' undeclared (first use in this function)
remotejoy.c:627: warning: unused variable `joydata'
make[1]: *** [remotejoy.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Owner/psptoolchain/scripts/psplinkusb/tools/re
motejoy/pc'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I know it's not really needed, but I figured out that PSPLink would be pretty useful and much faster for testing out stuff that I code on the PSP. So, does anyone know how to get it to compile properly?

I read that you need a certain libusb-dev library, but I am unable to find this in the CYGWIN install. I do have a libusb-win32 library, though.
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

remotejoy.c:27:28: linux/joystick.h: No such file or directory
This gave me the same issue, I guess Linux is the preferred env for that?

You can still build psplink under cygwin, manually. At least that's what I did.
celyst

Post by celyst »

Chrighton wrote:You can still build psplink under cygwin, manually. At least that's what I did.
Could you teach me how to? :)