Current AVC decoder hardware hack is not completed?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

happycoding

Current AVC decoder hardware hack is not completed?

Post by happycoding »

I am a AVC newbie, and please correct me if I am wrong.

I know Jonny's PMP MOD AVC 1.02 and jockyw2001's PMP VLC Player 009 Rev4 all depend on a patched x264[1].

Why? I mean SONY's PSP player can play AVC encoded with un-patched x264, but our hacked AVC hardware decoder[2] can only deal with patched x264 data?

Reference
1. patched x264. http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod ... source.rar
2. pspsdk's mpeg and libmpeg. http://www.geardome.com/pspsdk-doc/pspmpeg_8h.html
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

How do you know that PSP plays standard compliant h264 video and do you know for sure video UMDs contain standard h264?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You didn't read the page carefully. Look at this quote:
In the muxer you need to specify width, height and fps of the video.
I've patched x264 to write a file with this informations.
The only patch to x264 is to make it write a small text file containing certain paramters (resolution, frame rate) for use by the MUXER. If you enter those parameters by hand in the muxer, you can use the normal x264 just fine.
happycoding

Post by happycoding »

J.F. wrote:You didn't read the page carefully. Look at this quote:
In the muxer you need to specify width, height and fps of the video.
I've patched x264 to write a file with this informations.
The only patch to x264 is to make it write a small text file containing certain paramters (resolution, frame rate) for use by the MUXER. If you enter those parameters by hand in the muxer, you can use the normal x264 just fine.
I don't agree with you. The following is the readme for the x264 patch[1].
--------
x264-pictiming-magik.diff:
this patch is made by magiK ([email protected]), it makes the stream compatible with the psp

x264-info_file.diff:
this patch is made by jonny ([email protected]), it writes stream informations to a file (to make the muxing process

easier)
it also changes some defaults (to make vfw interface compatible)

usage:
x264 --crf 25 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --progress --output out.264 in.avs
--------
I am a x264 newbie and I don't know the tech details about this patch, then I ask for clarification here.

Reference
1. patched x264. http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod ... source.rar
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

PSP doesn't play x264 streams/files w/o x264-pictiming-magik patch. I come back to my question, how do you know that PSP can play std h264 vid streams? (i.e. w/o pictiming tweak). You can try by creating h264/aac files with an unpatched VLC and my patched VLC (uses patched x264).

And search for magiK's original post to get background information about his unbelievable research.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

There are h.264 encoders which encode fine for PSP. I tried a file encoded with Elgato Turbo.264 encoder (uses Mobilygen MG1264 video processor) and it works fine. So it must include the buffering_period and pic_timing SEIs in the videostream. Only a few sw encoders do that, e.g. Mainconcept and Elecard and of course the tweaked x264. Perhaps the current x264 no longer needs MagiK's patch. You can easily test that.
happycoding

Post by happycoding »

jockyw2001 wrote:PSP doesn't play x264 streams/files w/o x264-pictiming-magik patch. I come back to my question, how do you know that PSP can play std h264 vid streams? (i.e. w/o pictiming tweak).
I know PSP 2.71 firmware Video Player (not homebrew) can play AVC-MP4 created by 3GP_Converter 0.34(http://www.nurs.or.jp/~calcium/3gpp/) which was released on 2005/12/1 and the pictiming-magik patch was released on 2006 (then 3GP_Converter 0.34 does not contain the pictiming-magik patch)

AFAIK, 3GP_Converter 0.34 has not patched x264 then I think it is a std h264 vid stream.

I mean PSP 2.71 firmware Video Player (not homebrew) can play std h264 vid stream, while current homebrew AVC hardware decode (e.g., PSPSDK libmpeg) can not.

Anyway, I am investigating on how to let PMP VLC Player play UMD Video with AVC hardware decoder because there are a lot of existing UMD Video (AVC-MP4) and I don't want to transcode UMD Video using patched x264. (I know I can use PSP 2.71 firmware Video Player to play UMD Video)